Do you prefer a employee to come up to you when you are browsing or do you prefer to go to them for

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by amynichole318 • Mar 6, 2014.

1. nonsiccus

nonsiccusActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind a casual "do you need help with anything?" or small talk to let me know that they're available and attentive. I definitely dislike it when the salesperson basically follows me around a store asking whether or not I need a hand every other minute. It creates an uncomfortable atmosphere that just screams of them attempting to push a sale on me.

The best shopping experiences are the ones where the salespeople make you feel at ease and leave you leisurely shop while still being nearby so that when you start looking for someone, they can attend to you quickly.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Me too. I mean, sometimes you are browsing products, and an employyee will walk by you on their way to another job, and casually ask if you are okay, which is them asking if you need any help off-the-cuff. You usually say no, or you will tell them yes. But that type of interaction feels so much better than having an employee actually walk over to you, and stand over you, and asking if you would like any help from them. These employees need to be careful when straddling the line between helpful and invasive.

3. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    Either or works for me. If they are further ahead in whatever they were doing then I really don't mind going over to their computer and seeing what it is that they need. In the same token, if I just happen to stumble upon something, or I'm further ahead in whatever it is that we are working on, then I will ask them to come over to my computer.

4. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I agree; if they are going somewhere, they are not just standing right in front of me, waiting for a response, and when I say no, they do not hover nearby (awkward and invasive, as far as I'm concerned!) I really hate the shops where the moment you step in and start looking, the salesperson, previously just standing around, heads over to you to offer help, like a falcon descending on its prey. The only time I appreciate help is if I'm looking around confused and lost and obviously needing it (and I make my features very clear, lol) or if I ask for it. Otherwise, not. If a salesperson acts this way, unless I really like the products, I'll just edge my way out slowly.

5. DreekLass

Threads:
    I do know some people who get really really anxious when they go shopping though, and they have a hard time plucking up the courage to go to an employee and asking for help. So I suppose that employees coming up to them and asking them if they would like some assistance would be helpful in that case. But even then, it takes the power out of the shoppers hand, if that makes any sense lol.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel exactly the same way as most people here. I don't mind if there's an employee standing nearby to offer help whenever a customer needs it, but some employees don't know how to do it in a subtle, non-intrusive manner. I've seen a number of customer service personnel hover while you browse for products. Sometimes it really takes time to decide on something but there are employees who cannot understand that they're distracting your concentration and making you uncomfortable. It's better if they're on stand-by sans the "stalker-like" service.

7. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I know when I was in retail we were taught to smile, greet, make eye contact, offer assistance and if they refuse to walk around the store to stay nearby and fix clothes in the racks so that you are close at hand when needed. It was also a thief deterrent. I can tell you one thing I do hate though, when I look around and DON'T see an employee when I need one and I have to search around for someone. That is why I hate shopping at the Walmart here. There is never anyone around when you need them and you have to hunt someone down elsewhere to get information on things.

8. DreekLass

Threads:
    I have had numerous jobs in retail also, and I was not taught this. But maybe because I wasn't working there for a long enough period of time, at the time. But that is one of my problems with being approached by employees - I sense that I am being watched, or even suspected of being a thief, and it is not welcomed, even though I do understand that these people are merely doing their jobs. Most of the time, I don't even want to leave the house to go shopping in the first place, or I don't want to be seen, so some employee watching me and coming up to me is also unwelcomed a lot of the time. However, when I am in high spirits, I don't care what approach they take.

9. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer that the shop assistants leave me to browse in peace. When I need help, I know where to find them. I only get annoyed when, after I have asked them for help, they don't bother to give my assistance. That's when I begin to wonder what they think they are paid to do.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not everyone who hates it, snaps at them. I'm one of the most rational people you will meet and I'm kind to everyone.. ESPECIALLY people in retail or service, because I know how hard they work and the types of people they have to deal with on a daily basis. But if I can't find something, I'M the one that's not going to stand around drooling.. I'm going to ask someone. Hmm.. if memory serves me, I've always always asked for help.. no need to be approached lol. They need to be there when we need them, not before. I appreciate that they're made to do it and I appreciate what they do, but I can live without this aspect. Especially when they try to sell to me in the same breath.

No reading minds necessary.. people don't keel over dead on the spot when they can't find anything. They're quite capable of looking around a few more minutes or approaching the sales person themselves.

11. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Very true. Unless, of course, if the shopper looks like he has never been inside a supermarket before (and there are still people like this). In which case, the sales staff should give a hand. Politely, of course.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    But see.. we can all spot these people lol. I agree with you. I'm certain, though, that I don't look lost and confused when I first enter a store lol. The second I walk in "HI THERE can I help you my name is Tiffany and we're having a sale just so you know and they really really like it when I sellsellsell so please don't forget my name is Tiffany and I'll be following you around in case you need me!!!!!! Did you see this over here it's BLUE!! and 2% off!!!!!!!!".

No. Just no lol.

13. DreekLass

Threads:
    From having had a handful of retails jobs, I understand how stressful the position can be so I never snap at anyone. But even if I had not had those retail experiences, as an employee, I still do not think that I would snap at employees who approached me, unless i get a certain kind of vibe from them. Some employees can be rude to customers, as well as invasive. Sometimes racial profiling is involved, which is just rude. Those are the kinds of people who I wouldn't mind snapping at. As for those who are just doing their job, I don't think that they warrant being snapped at.

14. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I hate it as well. I just tell thm I'm not really buying I'm just browsing , they usually stop. if not I end up asking questions to then that isn't somehow related like what sort of paint to they use for the product. or tell them I'm buying for my kid, do you sell say for example a cabinet which is has rubber edges?

15. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    I understand that it's their job to ask me if I am in need of something, but usually they are bugging me and make me feel uncomfortable while shuffling. I prefer to be left alone and ask for help when needed.

16. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Absolutely! NOBODY deserves to be snapped at. Ok, maybe that's wrong.. I'm thinking of regular, innocent people lol, I guess there are a lot of people out there that deserve to be snapped at lol, but people just doing their jobs aren't one of those groups of people. I was thinking of something specific when I replied and now it doesn't fit, but I can't stop typing because I don't want to be here all day looking for a decent topic! haha...

What I was thinking of though.. I moved to a large city and MY GAWD do people hate life here lol. All day long, they lay on the horn at people crossing the street or the car in front of them that didn't predict the light changing to start moving immediately before it did. People fighting everywhere, over the stupidest things and I swear.. everyone is snapping at each other. Especially the poor people in retail. This place sure does remind me of everything I preach.. life is too short and everyone who doesn't agree, looks like a feral animal. Not a good way to live.

17. Jannnnjan

JannnnjanActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you about salespeople being aggressive about a sale sometimes. I was browsing in a furniture store a while back and kept being bugged by a salesman. He was pressing me to say what I wanted and how the offers were running out. Then admitted he hadn't met his quota for the month and really needed his bonus! I felt he was trying to get a sale by making me feel guilty. It felt really awkward but I managed to walk away without buying.

18. barkingsquirrel

barkingsquirrelMember

Threads:
    Leave me alone when I'm shopping and please don't call (telemarketers) me when I'm eating dinner! If I want help with something, I'll ask for it. If I want someone to help me that knows what they're talking about, I shop on a Monday through Thursday between the hours of 9 and 11 am. I used to be in retail, but didn't work on commission.

19. walker498

walker498New Member

Threads:
    Having a salesperson follow you is very annoying, I have had my share I can tell you that. I truly believe that they should designate a place on a sales floor where a customer can alert one to come assist them. By doing that, a customer feels comfortable, not to mention welcomed and therefore willing to be assisted.

20. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's really nice when a salesperson comes over to ask if you need help. I always tell them no thank you. At that point, I want to be left alone unless I approach them with a question. Anything more than that and I'm going to get really annoyed. That one "hello, do you need help" is good enough. Believe me, I won't hesitate to ask if I DO need help