Do you prefer a employee to come up to you when you are browsing or do you prefer to go to them for

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by amynichole318 • Mar 6, 2014.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Personally, I prefer going up to them when I need help because I don't like to be bothered when I'm shopping, plus I feel a little awkward when they ask me questions because I just like browsing a majority of the time.

Maybe the store you were in had commission workers? I work in a clothing store and a lot of individuals are on commission, that being said, they need that sale. But we're also told to go up to every customer and greet them because we can save them time from looking everywhere.

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer to look around, and will contact a salesperson when I'm ready to ask questions or make a purchase. I don't mind being greeted when I walk in a store. As a matter of fact, I think it's nice, but I really don't need someone hovering around asking a bunch of questions when I'm trying to view merchandise.

3. GenevB

GenevBActive Member

Threads:
    I usually prefer myself going to them, especially if I'm not decided whether or not I'm going to buy anything from that store, when they comes to you it's like they somehow press you to buy something from them, even if you could still walk out without doing it, at least for me it feels awkward to do so.

4. RapidRaven

RapidRavenMember

Threads:
    I typically prefer going to them for advice. If I'm confused on a product's information, or need some advice when deciding between several products, I'll ask an employee for advice. It's nice to have an employee come to me for assistance purposes, but I prefer not being interrupted. Plus, their job is to sell products to me, so they may likely give a biased opinion.

5. laurelbell85

laurelbell85Member

Threads:
    Straight up! Waitresses and waiters can be bad for this too. I don't mind the friendly hello and when I say no they walk away, but this younger generation has me worried. A lot of them are very disrespectful. I have a feeling the pushy sales person is going to be coming around more. This is why I do a lot of shopping online lol

6. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I usually prefer to go up to a salesperson if I have a question. Greeting is fine, and so is occasionally asking if I’m finding everything okay, but pushy salespeople who hover around me make me kind of uncomfortable, like many of you. I do understand, though, sometimes they’re just trying to secure a sale. But I’d still rather ask them questions when I need to.

7. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I'm in the middle of the road on this one. I do not want you to make contact with me ever when shopping. Whether you think I looked confused/lost or not. I do, however, want to be able to find you at all times in the store in case of emergency. I want it all. :rolleyes:

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really depends on what I'm shopping for, but usually I prefer them to only greet me and leave me to shop for myself. It's nice to at least be a knowledged when you get into the store with that smile and a "let me know if I can help you". However I do not like it when salespeople are after me all around the store.

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You are right. I haven't been out to a restaurant or a cafe to eat in a while now, but when I did used to go, I remember waiters and waitresses coming up to out table to shove a menu in our faces, and make us order. Like you, I also do not at all mind the friendly hellos as they walk by. But often times the staff can be disrespectful in how pushy they are. Lol. I prefer online shopping because I don't have a car. But it is great to avoid sales people too ;)

10. IrishHeather

IrishHeatherMember

Threads:
    I absolutely can not stand a pushy sales person! This is one of my greatest pet peeves. My ideal sales associate would be one that acknowledges your presence with a "Hello", or "If you have any questions or need any help please let me know".

I especially hate the ones that follow you around the store. I have actually left businesses just for this reason. Perhaps I'm just strange, but I find that I can not concentrate on purchasing decisions with a mini stalker. o_O

11. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    I hate it when i get pounced on by eager sales people, if i want their help i will ask for it. There are some stores where i am almost afraid to walk in for fear of being bombarded with the hard sell. If you go to a car showroom you are never allowed to look around in your own time, you are pounced on immediately, i find this really off putting.

I find that if i visit a computer or electrical store the same over eager selling occurs except when i actually need some help, then i find there is suddenly no one around. This is very frustrating.

12. BethD

BethDNew Member

Threads:
    I agree. I like to know there is someone there to help me if I need it but then leave me alone to browse. I have also been given their card, in case they are paid by commission, and I will go to them to make the purchase. I do not like them to hover and follow me around. I like to be left on my own to look around at my leisure with no feeling of pressure.

13. azeemah kaleem

azeemah kaleemMember

Threads:
    It really depend on my mood and what I'm looking for. For example, if I know what I want, I usually don't need any assistance. However, it appears when I don't need the help that is when a salesperson want to constantly bug me. On the other hand, when I am unsure about an item, or feel completely lost, they can never be found. To answer the question, I would prefer for a salesperson to just wait until I need help. I also think they should do a better job with giving a customer some space, and being accessible when they are needed.

14. Wace

WaceNew Member

Threads:
    Hi

! You pose a very good question with this thread. I really would prefer to have the time alone to browse, and figure out exactly what brand/make/model etc. that I'm interested in. To have a salesperson hover over me at this point in the game is just counterproductive. I'm in agreement with

, if a salesman is tactfully rejected, they should excuse themselves, offer a business card, and just let the customer know where they will be if they need any additional information. It's never good to come off as "too" eager to make a sale.

15. dawnolsen

dawnolsenMember

Threads:
    I absolutely hate being followed around the store by an associate. I understand that they are trying to help and I appreciate it, but at some point I need time to make my own decision. Ideally the associate will introduce themselves and after understanding what I am looking for they will go on about their business but be in touch if needed.

16. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84Member

Threads:
    I don't mind if they come up to me whilst I am browsing because I know that they are just doing their job, I used to work in a shop where I had t do it a lot because the boss said. If I don't need their help I can always say so.

17. seatones

seatonesNew Member

Threads:
    I'd have to say I prefer when I am greeted, and told to ask questions when I need. It always seems too forward when they come up to me and I'm basically forced to have a conversation with them about what I'm looking for. It makes it seem like I have less of a choice and time to decide on what I really want before asking any questions I have. If they come up to me, a friendly connection is established, but I would then like them to back off and wait for me to be ready. This allows me time to look around and come up with my own opinions on products before asking for a second opinion.