Do you prefer a laptop or a desktop?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by andrew320 • Jun 5, 2012.

1. QueenPisces

QueenPiscesNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer using a laptop because of how portable it is. Also, if I'm home and exhausted I don't always want to sit at a computer desk and use a desktop so I easily can lie on my bed with my laptop and surf the web. I think both have their advantages, a desktop can probably hold more memory and files than a laptop can, but I probably will always stick to a laptop.

2. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    I really like my laptop, easy to use, portability. I like my desktop, but my laptop is real winner for my needs.

3. EvoDoom

EvoDoomMember

Threads:
    My desktop for sure, I love the idea of my computer being this constant, always in the one place object. That's my view anyway! :)

4. Nethervor

NethervorNew Member

Threads:
    If I really really really have to pick a choice it would be a desktop. However, after having experienced both laptop and desktop computers I feel obliged to state the pro's of both choices.
    Laptops are extremely portable. And I don't mean "put it in your lap while watching TV"-portable. I've been using my laptop for work related stuff and it saves me a lot of time and nerves because I can take my documents everywhere without a fuzz. I've also been using it for presentations for my classes (I teach English as a foreign language in primary school).
    Desktops are cheaper and a lot easier to maintain. You can change anything in a matter of minutes. Also, I really enjoy playing games. Games that require a relatively powerful computer. There are not many laptops that can offer you a proper gaming experience. The ones that can are even more expensive.

5. q3210497

q3210497New Member

Threads:
    Mother-in-law using a laptop will be more convenient.

6. hsandez

hsandezNew Member

Threads:
    I really think it depends what you want to accomplish. i think for newbie a laptop should be fine as it is capable of handling most programs and is sufficient for web surfing. However, I know that when I worked for a local news station we did all of our editing on desktops computers because they are better equipped to handle the work load. We did a lot of video and audio editing and while there are laptops out there that can handle a few projects at a time we sometimes had entire crews working on only two desktops and it was enough to handle all the work. So I would say for a normal workload a laptop should be fine but if you are going to need some "heavy lifting' you really are better off with a desktop.

7. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Desktops for work-related stuff and laptops for personal browsing. For work, I prefer something that is attached to my printer at all times, hence PC suits me best as it stays in one place, unlike a laptop.

8. tknight123

tknight123New Member

Threads:
    It depends what I'm doing. I usually prefer a laptop, however if I am doing some serious gaming, a desktop is nice since it tends to run faster. However, like I said, laptops in my eyes are usually better.

9. Shamarv8

Shamarv8Member

Threads:
    The answer depends on what your computing needs are. I think the entire purpose on a laptop is to provide computing mobility, and if you don't need access to a computer on the go or do enjoy sitting in one place and using a computer, than by all means a laptop is for you. A desktop wins though in sheer computing power. If your a gamer or use your computer to perform heavy duty task that require that extra speed whilst under extreme direst, than I would recommend getting a computer.

10. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I however would prefer and recommend desktop than laptop. The reason is that desktop can lat more hours than laptop and novices have the tendency to accidentally mess up things and desktop are easy to repair.

11. murbiz

murbizNew Member

Threads:
    I used to love desktop computers until I bought my first laptop and I quickly changed my mind.Its like day and night when you compare the two.First and foremost,a laptop is better because it is portable.You can place it anywhere you want and also use it all around the house.Another good thing about laptops is that they that WIFI meaning that you will not be bugged by all the wires involved in connecting internet on a desktop computer.

Desktops seem like a thing of the past especially now that the laptop market is so competitive thus driving prices down.

12. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer a Laptop over a Desktop. I can take my laptop any where with me and it's so easy put away. And I am in college and it comes in handy with my assignments. And I always tend to bump into the desktop, I almost broke mine one time it almost rolled on the floor.

13. Drainbamaged

DrainbamagedNew Member

Threads:
    Now that I have my laptop since 4 months, I will always prefer laptops for more than 1 reason:

1) They are making them very qualitative today, as powerful as most the desktops too.
    2) It is handy, you can move it very comfortably everywhere.
    3) You will never lose your work for causes like power outage.

14. mslianne

mslianneNew Member

Threads:
    I still prefer desktop because it is more easy to repair. If desktops has virus it can't affect all your computer. Laptops are very complicated because if it already has a virus it can affect all.

15. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think there is an advantage between laptops and desktop computers as far as learning how to use one is concerned. The major difference between to two is performance and features. Desktop computers can be faster and offer a better video and audio experience. For an older person, this might be a better choice. Otherwise, the convenience and portability of laptops is the choice for many of us. Or, you can have the best of both worlds if your budget allows!

16. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    A desktop would be better for hardcore gaming, but for me, my laptop works just fine. The ability to take it anywhere is also really good for me since I often take it to school.

17. Mycoldshower

MycoldshowerNew Member

Threads:
    Definitely a laptop. I know, desktops are way more powerful, but nothing beats the portability of a laptop. I use it to watch movies in bed, taking notes in class, work on projects, read recipes in my kitchen,… You just have so much more possibilities with a laptop compared to a desktop.

18. jooomes

jooomesNew Member

Threads:
    In regards to your question, a laptop would be more suitable for someone who is new to computers or isn't highly skilled with them. The reason being is that you can get a moderately low priced web-surfing machine and the person won't complain. Desktops are more suitable for those who wish to game or do 3-D modeling, video editing, and the such. Personally it is dependent upon the situation. For almost every task I would prefer a desktop. If I only need a machine to use Microsoft Office and surf the internet then I prefer a small netbook that's highly portable and has good battery life. Hopefully my answer helped out in any way it could.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Is your mom in law still working or she's already retired? If she doesn't go out of the the house much, then a desktop would be the ideal choice. Why opt for a laptop when it will be constantly plugged in the socket right? I think a desktop would be the ideal choice for a neophyte user. But if she still works and is out most of the time, then a laptop will be the more suitable choice.

#59Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  20. almari_011

almari_011Member

Threads:
    I definitely prefer a laptop than a desktop. First of all, laptops takes so much little space. You can bring it with you always. Also with our technology today, there are definitely laptops that are designated to work like a desktop. There's even a laptop for gamers with high graphics and memory. With powerful specs that you can use anytime anywhere, I'll definitely stick with my laptop. :)