Do you prefer a laptop or a desktop?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by andrew320 • Jun 5, 2012.

1. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on the person. My grandmother wants to buy a computer too. It'll be her first computer and I think she should buy a desktop. It's sturdier. And I believe it lasts longer. But for a younger person who is moving around a lot, a laptop is much better. There's free wi-fi service everywhere now, even at McDonald's. Desktops will limit anyone who likes to take their computer outside their house. Now, if you have the money, I think having both is the absolute best way to go. :)

2. SuperSecretSanta

SuperSecretSantaNew Member

Threads:
    I was a longtime holdout and didn't buy my first laptop until two years ago. Best decision ever! Apparently, many others feel the same way since laptop purchases have outnumbered desktop purchases for some time now. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that manufacturers will stop producing desktops in the near future. The way cloud computing and tablets have exploded onto the scene, this seems like a logical progression for the industry.

3. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer a laptop big time cause you can move around with it go to different places and relax as with a desktop you are stuck in one place and they take up a lot more room. I like sitting outside relaxing enjoying nice weather while on my laptop or going to places like star bucks and being on my laptop it's a lot better to have a laptop even if you are a beginner. My first computer was a laptop and i did just fine.

4. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    For entertainment use like watch video, i'd like a desktop. For office use, i prefer laptops.

5. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer desktop for my work and playing games. However I have to travel a lot so I carry my laptop whenever I am traveling. I have been using desktop computers for last 15 years so it's hard to change old habits.

6. Joyce aka Nana

Joyce aka NanaNew Member

Threads:
    Personally, I like a laptop. I do everything on my laptop and I can use it in any room. A desktop is nice, but on days when she don't feel like sitting at a desk, the laptop is so much better. You can get a good laptop at a reasonable price, especially, at online stores. Walmart even has some for very reasonable prices. My aunt had a laptop and she got herself an iPad and now she doesn't even use her laptop anymore. She just uses her iPad and it gives her everything she needs.

7. Deities

DeitiesNew Member

Threads:
    A novice or anyone that uses the computer for short hand projects and work, for example, just browsing around and learning and doing emails/work, then a laptop would suit them better. I personally prefer a desktop since it is more powerful, more directed towards work, and more useful if you actually have a reason to have one. The side note to this is: desktops are more expensive.

8. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer a laptop based on my current needs. Being able to transport it around is very important. I also live with other people and sometimes if there are other people in the room I find it hard to concentrate, so I have to move to my bedroom. But one day, when I have my own place I would ideally like both a laptop and desktop. I would mainly use the desktop then.

9. ami560

ami560Member

Threads:
    I use both. I have a laptop for work and watching movies and TV shows, as this is portable enough for when I need to work outside of my house or I am just bored and want to watch a movie. But, I also have a desktop rig that I use for gaming and processor-intense applications that my laptop would not be able to handle.

10. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    My mother, who is a novice, recently bought herself a laptop and she absolutely loves it. I think it depends on the person, especially if they know little about computers, but I prefer laptops as well. I would have to have no other option to start using a desktop again!

11. EndlessChaoz

EndlessChaozNew Member

Threads:
    It really depends on the situation for me. I'd prefer a laptop whenever college semester is in session. It grants me mobility, which I sorely need. Other than that, I'd rather go with a desktop. The ability to configure and add to a desktop computer gives me great satisfaction. It's pretty hard to work with a laptop and it's small frame.

12. mazhar1432

mazhar1432New Member

Threads:
    It depends for what use are you seeking a computer for in the first place. If you want to work from home like in a small office or something a desktop is primarily the best buy. However if you're seeking a computer for personal use i prefer a laptop since it takes up less place and is portable.

13. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer a laptop for my business needs because it's handy and I could take it anywhere I want. When it comes to playing games, I'd rather have a desktop PC because it's a lot easier to modify and upgrade a desktop than a laptop. Overall though, I'd have to go with a laptop. I can do more with a laptop because of its portability.

14. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't own a laptop but I would like to own one. A laptop gives you more freedom, you are not fixed in one position. I would like to be able to check my emails etc when watching T.V, for example. The only problem with a laptop is getting in a comfortable position.

15. JLetterman

JLettermanNew Member

Threads:
    I have to use my laptop, as a desktop would just not cut it for me as a full-time freelance writer. I am on the go, and I'm always switching from place to place within a room. It is the age of portability, and since I'm on the computer for my job and for a significant amount of hours each day, it's imperative that I have my laptop!

16. untitled

untitledMember

Threads:
    It's all about the laptop for me, I really love the versatility it offers me. A desktop computer is too limited in being at one location, I used to have a desktop computer but since I've gotten a good laptop I don't really use my desktop for anything.

17. vest007

vest007Member

Threads:
    Very difficult question to answer. Laptops are very portable and mobile. If you are travelling a lot, then you can't live without a laptop. But at the same time, Desktops score higher in processing speed, affordability.etc. Right now I am having a laptop.... but I am seriously considering the purchase of a desktop. My laptop is having an i3 processor, which is quite slow at times. I don't think as of now I can afford an i7 laptop.