Do you prefer a smartphone with a build-in or replaceable battery?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by pandandesign • Jan 12, 2014.

1. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I like IPhones, don't get me wrong, and if I can pick again I would stick with my IPhone 5S. The only downfall I didn't go for the IPhone was because the battery isn't replaceable. I prefer having a smartphone that allows me to replace the batter rather than the build-in you find in IPhones because a battery can only last in a number of charges. Do you prefer having a smartphone with a build-in or replaceable battery?

2. marmunmrhundun

marmunmrhundunBanned

Threads:
    I like the Iphones battery that is enclosed inside. I use to hate having batteries falling out of my phone. Not only was the enclosed battery a great idea, but it was also innovative. The only downfall to having a enclosed battery is not being able to change it when it goes bad which may happen when dealing with phones. Sort as if your phones battery runs out of messes up, a professional will have to fix it.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't bother buying a spare battery these days anyhow, since the life span of a smart phone is so short - no sense investing any money into accessories that are specific to it if you're going to be replacing it again in about a year and a half if not sooner. The only thing in particular that might become a problem for me, is when I need to force the phone to shut down and restart. Not being able to forcefully remove the battery would be a problem when the phone becomes unresponsive and won't shut down any other way - which seems to happen quite often.

4. jriley

jrileyNew Member

Threads:
    Depends on how long you want to keep the phone or pay apple to replace it. BTW, batteries for phones on amazon are really cheap. Way cheaper than batteries plus, I saved like $12 for the battery on my last galaxy.

5. randee555

randee555Active Member

Threads:
    I just got a new phone and the battery is built in, which is new to me because all of my past phones could have their batteries replaced. So far, its going well but will take some getting used to because I always purchased replacement batteries from Amazpn and would charge them on my charging dock while I'd be using one.

6. sidd230

sidd230Member

Threads:
    There is a very legit reason for in built batteries. It saves a lot of space inside the phone and also provides for a larger battery. Moreover, closed phones feel way more solid. Compare the Galaxy phones to the iPhone.

7. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I thought there are replaceable iPhone batteries for sale because I've seen them before. The iPhone's battery is easily replaceable if you have the right tool to open it up. Anyway, batteries in phones last so long, you're more likely to change the phone itself before the battery even has a chance to die out. These rechargeably batteries last a very long time.

8. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer if the phone battery can be replaced. I have had issues where my phone had been rendered useless due to the battery. And with the right amount of money i was able to sort it out in an instant. So for me, to be on the safe side i would rather not risk it and get a phone where i can change the battery.

9. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a specific preference. My current phone doesn't have a removable battery. But I also have never replaced a replaceable battery so that's not an argument.

10. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that a replaceable battery is much better, if I have an issue with the battery I can simply get a new one without the need to give my phone to "repair", I think built in batteries are just a way for them to make more money.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I prefer having a built in battery in most devices including smartphones and video game controllers. I think it just pressures the companies who make these to pick better batteries, and make better design and structural choices. Even with a replaceable battery, I've never really replaced one anyway since the device is usually relatively old already by the time the battery gives out and I usually just buy another phone by then if I can. I understand the existence of these alternative options though, but my personal choice is just to buy one that's tightly sealed and not meant to be tinkered with by the average user. It's not like I can't still have the battery replaced by a professional anyway even if it was a built in type device.

12. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely don't see any reason why all batteries shouldn't be removable. Batteries lose their volume over time and replacing the old battery with a new one is great way to get some extended life out of your aging device. Guess its just cheaper for manufacturers to meld them in though.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer smartphones that have a replaceable battery, because you can still use your phone much longer, and it's quite easy to buy a battery. You will also be saved of the additional expense that a technician charges.

14. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of phones these days are coming with non-replaceable batteries. This is due to the fact that manufacturers find it easier and cheaper to be able to meld in the battery and save some space inside the device. I am all for non-replaceable batteries if it means that the manufacturers are able to add to the features on the device without increasing the price. But it is more convenient to have replaceable batteries as it allows you to swap it, if it stops retaining charge effectively due to its age.

15. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that a replaceable battery makes my autonomy smaller in case of malfunctioning. If my battery has a problem I can simply get a new one, but if the battery is built in what can I do? I need to take to technical support, wait and pay for a repair, it doesn't seem better for the client, unless the built-in batteries are really reliable.