Do You Prefer An Automatic Or Manual Washing Machine?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by moneymania • May 5, 2017.

1. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    We used to have a manual washing machine before, and it was bought last 1992. I think it got broken around 2008, because last 2009 we bought a new automatic washing machine. Then this year we bought a brand new automatic washing machine again, because the old one can't be repaired anymore because the parts are now out of stock. Despite the large difference in prices, I would prefer an automatic one because you won't have to squeeze the clothes anymore to spin dry them. You just put the clothes there and some soap, and the automatic washing machine will take care of the rest. So I would not mind spending more for convenience.

Do you own a washing machine? If yes, which kind, a manual or an automatic one? Is it the one you prefer or you wish you could upgrade?

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have an automatic washing machine and love it. I know the old fashion ones when you had to put the clothes into the drying side and wait for it to finish. I like the automatic ones for all you do is load it, add your detergent and softener and then the machine will do all the work. I recently had to get the axle for it repaired. The repair costed us almost 200. We got it repaired by Sears where we bought it. If you hadn't bought the new one yet, if it needs just a repair which costs so much less, try Sears repair-they come to your home-they take charge cards when finished with repair and they give you a receipt right away.

3. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe, How long have you had your washing machine? Our 1st automatic washing machine lasted 7 years and had some repairs too during that time. The 1st ever one, which is a manual washing machine lasted for 16 long years, I think it's more durable because it doesn't have a built-in high tech controller to do all the work automatically. The 1st automatic one was Sharp, now we have bought Samsung, let's see if it will last more than 7 years.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    @moneymania@moneymania :)Our current washing machine lasted 5 years before it needed repair for it's axle. It was making the strangest big noise so I stopped washing with it and called the repair people at Sears. They estimated the cost and the repair man came and it was about $30 dollars more because of the parts, came up to about $186.00. Now it runs like new, except for a few dings on the basket, because the machine's axle wasn't working so it threw the basket all over the machine. We're hoping the machine will last another 5 more years. It survived being delivered to our second floor apt. walk up then the move to the first floor where it sits now in the Sun in the morning-it's just where the plug is for it. :rolleyes:

#4May 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  5. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I have never used a semi-automatic washing machine, but I have seen the working of it. I prefer automatic washing machine to a semi-automatic one. It is much easier. There is nothing to do other than put the clothes and the washing powder. You can do something else which it is washing the clothes.

6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest, we have a laundrywoman who wash our clothes twice a week. But we are planning to buy a washing machine this year not to replace her but to make her work easier. What we have in mind is the traditional washing machine that washes clothes and no dry spin. We have a clothesline here that we can use. But I have seen the tv demo of the automatic washing machine and I’d say it’s great. However, the cost is not so great for our pocket so we have to settle for the olden model.

7. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe, Which brand is your washing machine? And how old is it now? With our experience with Sharp not being able to have the replacement parts available after a few years, we will definitely be avoiding buying their washing machines. Also the fact that in those 7 yrs. it was already repaired makes it seem less durable.

8. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well you cannot argue that the automatic is a good time saver and really easy to use. These days they are not too expensive and they pretty much do everything for you. I do like doing them by hand from time to time though.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    @moneymania@moneymania :rolleyes:Our washing machine is a Whirlpool. It's 5 going on 6 yrs. old now. I know exactly what you feel like for I had a Sharp typewriter, no parts so it's obsolete and can't use it any longer! I decided to just get rid of it and left it out side by the rubbish bin. This was before I started to watch American Pickers. See what you can get for your washing machine, for the people like Sears where I bought our Whirlpool, will haul the old one away, for a price too. I'm not saying you could get something for your old one, but it's just something to see about to get your money's worth on your old machine. If the buyer can pick it up better yet. It's up to you what you do with your old washing machine. We always buy from Sears because they got warranty, they got repair people for all they sell-you can even get a deals when you buy new ones for repair and maintenance, so my Mom likes to buy washing machines from Sears. There is always Lowes too, sorry I don't know about Lowes, we buy from Sears only. Good luck for there are some sweet models now to choose from. Good luck! We always buy washing machines on sale too. Sears got their site, or newspaper inserts on Sunday. It's nice to see their site and you can browse and choose what you like to buy at leisure at home.

#9May 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2017
  10. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe, I guess that is Sharp's marketing tactic, like they will make the parts obsolete on purpose so that you will be forced to buy a new one. I will never buy anything from Sharp from now on. And I'm not from the US though and there are no stores that you have mentioned over here, but thanks for the tips though.

11. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I have an automatic washing machine and am grateful that I am able to set it, go about my business and know that my laundry would be taken care of without my intervention. I just couldn't consider resorting to a machine that would demand more of my time and energy to get the job done.

12. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I didn't know there were manual twin tubs available, and I'm not sure why someone would choose them over an automatic? These days they are much cheaper, and when I asked dad if he wanted to take a warranty out for the new one and told him the cost, even he (a frugal man) said the cost of a new one wouldn't make it worth its while and he would just get a new one if it broke down.

These days automatics come with shorter cycles so it can be cost efficient. My parents tend to hand wash and then put the clothes on a refresh wash.

13. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    This makes me miss the automatic washing machine I onces owned but too bad it broke and can't afford to fix or buy a new one. Now I am stuck washing by hand but when I buy a washing machine it has to be automatic. I think the manual one can bring as much hassle than washing by hand.

14. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @Theo@Theo Yes, they are usually around $102 and below, you can easily identify them by the rotating plastic switch that they have. The automatic ones, well they have that distinct flat keypad-like buttons, so it's easier to spot. The downside is that they have a shorter life span as compared to manual washing machines. The automatic ones don't seem to last a decade.

#14May 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2017
  15. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @moneymania@moneymania I'm not sure where you live, but here in the UK you can get automatic machines for about £120 and a warranty costs about £60-70 a year. My parents machine has lasted over 20 years, and it was fine. We only changed it because of the limescale build up and also my parents needed one with a handle that was easier to open due to arthritis in both of their hands.

I think if you take care of a machine, it will last much longer and as many have quick wash cycles, it can save money on energy and water too.

#15May 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2017
  16. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well I would have to say that they both have their pros and cons, and the first one that jumps to my mind all the time is the price. I would be tempted to get the cheaper and manual one, but if it is not a big difference then who knows.

17. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @Theo@Theo, If you are required to pay around £60 to £70 pounds a year then if you avail of that then it will end up being more expensive in the long run, because to avail of the warranty you have to pay more, right? Over here we have free 1 year warranty, and outside of that period we will have to pay already for any repairs.

18. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @moneymania@moneymania Most models will have a free one year warranty too, but you have to read the small print. We had a Hotpoint and the proviso was to use local engineers if there was a fault, which could end up costing more as they replace the parts but not the labor.A little bit sneaky really.

The best thing to do is always use Calgon or a limescale remover as that is one of the main causes (build up) of machines breaking down or over filling a machine.

#18May 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2017
  19. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    So far I have only used manual washing machine and where after the washing and rinsing I have to squeeze out the water before sending to the spinner for drying. From what I can gather with automated washing machine your input in the actual washing process is reduced. But then which actually ensures a better clean clothes is it the automated or manual, this will to an extent determine my choice of machine.

20. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @Theo@Theo, In our case, the automatic washing machine's front panel "CPU" was the one that got broken. The buttons won't work then it eventually stopped turning on. There was no more parts available for that model anymore, so it's permanently broken. I think the CPU is the vulnerable part in automatic washing machines, since if it can't execute the command then it will be useless.