Do you prefer books or ebooks?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by lizzief79 • Mar 22, 2014.

1. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    Although I know that ebooks generally cost significantly less than a traditional book, I still prefer having a book in my hand to read. I can't engage with a story in the same way when I am trying to read from the computer. I love the physical and interactive experience of holding a book and turning the pages. Which do you prefer?

2. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I've become used to reading everything on my computer so I prefer ebooks. I like how they don't require any physical space too. It can be easy to get distracted while reading on a computer though.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer paper books, but due to the difficulties of finding the books that I am interested in, I sometimes have to resort to e-books. I don't mind e-books, as long as I can get the information I am after. But I don't really enjoy the electronic glare (even if it's adjusted to a reasonable brightness). For me there is something really satisfying and nostalgic about lying in bed on a rainy day with a good book. A book that smells and feels like a book. :)

4. autograph

autographNew Member

Threads:
    Since I live quite far away from the place that actually stock good books, I usually get e-books nowadays. The tablet I have also encouraged me to go paperless when it comes to reading books. However, when given the choice to read a book (especially technical ones), I would always prefer books to e-books.

5. Quaestor

QuaestorMember

Threads:
    Since I got an e-reader, I've started to read a lot more. When I was younger I used to read books all the time, but then as time went on other media took their place, television, music, computers and cinema were all a lot easier to consume.

Now I get to read while I'm commuting, when on buses or trains, etc. The biggest advantage of ebooks is that you can carry dozens or even hundreds of them with you at all times. When I finish one book, I can jump straight into another without having to carry around multiple books at a time or waiting until I get home to swap over.

Running out of battery can be a bit frustrating, but I find that if you keep an eye on the general power levels of an ereader, they practically never run out completely.

6. khillis

khillisMember

Threads:
    I like physically having the book as well. I have a large book collection, and ebooks do not appeal to me. In order to save money I tend to swap a lot of books with friends and family.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer ebooks now because they're more convenient and they're usually free. After I have read a book, I think that the money that I spent on it can be used to buy other things since I have read it already, so an ebook saves me from having that thought.

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also love a physical book. I love the way the book feels in my hands. I love turning pages. I see the value in ebooks, but I always prefer physical books.

9. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    I love to read and would have preferred to buy the books (not ebooks) and make a collection of my favorites, but its really expensive.
    Beggars can't be choosers, lol.. so I just settle on ebooks, it's free and convenient.