Do you prefer buying or adopting pets?

Discussion in Pets started by maryannballeras • Nov 14, 2014.

1. maryannballeras

maryannballerasMember

Threads:
    Our family currently has two cats and one dog. We've had more cats before but unfortunately, some of them died. All of them were either given to us by a friend, or adopted. I personally prefer adopting a pet because it gives those homeless animals a place to live in. How about you? Do you prefer buying or adopting pets?

2. lemony

lemonyMember

Threads:
    I have two dogs, and one could say that both of them are adopted. The first one is a mixed breed of Shih Tzu and Japanese Spitz which was given to me by one of my friends. The second one is a rat terrier mix from a dog shelter. I had to pay for their vaccinations before they were left in my care. I personally believe that with the amount of stray dogs out there, it would be more humane to just adopt them so they don't end up being put down instead.

3. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    If you are looking for a dog or cat, there are many out there that are great pets that can be adopted. My sister got her cats from a family who accidentally ended up with a litter because their cat sneaked out before they had gotten her fixed. I think that's a great way to find pets. For dogs though, some people want specific breeds because of behavior and personality. I don't have a problem with that as long as one makes sure to go to a good breeder that treats their dogs well and is careful to avoid inbreeding problems.

4. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I would do whichever that I can at the moment, there's a nice lil pet store in my country that provides for adoption of animals and there are several people out there selling animals. I would go for whichever I can afford at the moment. Typically, is adoption free?

5. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm to cheap to buy a pet and there are so many animals out there that need a home that are being given away for free. All my dogs I got for free (I have 7 of them and we are about to adopt 2 or 3 more). I love everyone of them very dearly. Like they say, the best things in life are free.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never bought a pet in my life. They always happened to show up at my doorstep, or I found them abandoned in the streets. Over the years I have taken in many animals, some of which I kept, and others that I found homes for. Here where I currently live, in Latin America, people have a hard time of getting by, but animals have it even harder. So, together with other animal lovers, I go twice a week to feed all the abandoned cats and dogs in a nearby park. Some of them are in bad condition, but there are no animal shelters around here, only people who take personal care of the animals.

7. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I only have one pet and I adopted her. This cat came to my yard and just wouldn't go away. I think it took a week before I gave her any attention. Right now, I'm enjoying her company so much. I'm also considering buying a pet dog for my mom because she loves my sister's chow chow a lot. Adopting a dog isn't an option for me and I wouldn't find a chow chow in the streets. :p

8. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer free animals :D But, out of the two that you have described, I buy animals. This is because in my country, there is no such thing as pet adoption. There are no shelters here for animals. We have some animal sanctuaries, but the animals are not for adoption. They are cared for by caretakers when needed. If my country did have shelters, I would most certainly adopt a pet. I think it's a great idea.

9. roki123

roki123Active Member

Threads:
    Maryannballeras! I agree with you because it gives those homeless animals a place to live in. I also prefer to adopt a pet in spite of buying.
    I also adopted a cat recently. It is very quite and now he learns many things like gestures.Serena! Why you county don't allow for adoption and where are you from?

#9Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I prefer adopting as well. There are just too many pets needing homes in shelters so I'd feel bad knowing that they will just be put down. I'm not against buying though, as even I have some preferred breeds that I'd love to have, but I think it's best to adopt if you can because I hate the thought of pets being stuck in cages all day.

11. lemony

lemonyMember

Threads:
    Technically, adoption is free. There will be miscellaneous fees you might need to shell out money for, though. Included in these expenses are vaccinations, transportation, and probably some other requirements the shelter needs to prepare together with the organization and/or government handling them (documents, etc.) until you are able to receive the pet at your home. However, adopting is generally cheaper. It would cost almost half the price off than what you would normally spend when purchasing a pure breed.

12. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I think adopting a pet is a good idea. I didn't really know what the requirements were to be adopting a pet, so I went to the vet and the pet hospital. The doctors explained all the little details and showed me the documents, the vaccination requirements, the pet insurance card, and we then looked around the store. It's not a complicated process but it's quite a personal one. Having pets can improve the well-being of the owner, and it could be less costly if managed right.

13. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Adopting of course. When was the last time I ever bought a pet? I can't remember. All our pets were either given by friends or picked up on the streets or elsewhere. So buying, although it's feasible, is just out of the question. With buying, it's those pet stores that profit the most. With adoption, the pets you've adopted get to benefit from your kindness.

14. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Adopting. I strongly oppose buying pets because doing otherwise will promote backyard breeding. So many dogs, cats, and other animals die due to irresponsible pet parents who only care about the money that they will earn from breeding and selling pets. What's more, there is a certain feel of pride, joy, and so much love when the animal that you rescue grows up to a be a wonderful one. I once rescued a two-month old cat which was dumped in the sewer by someone cruel. Naturally, I had to be the "mother cat". I had to get up early to feed the cat every two hours from a makeshift feeding bottle. When I was at work, my sister or mother would feed her. :)

15. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like raising my pets right from their infancy. It creates a strong bond that never can be broken. So for me, I'd always prefer buying a pet because then I can pick out the cutest puppy I see [I like dogs]. With adoption though, it would be really hard to find exactly the sort of pet you are looking for.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    All of our previous cats were strays or the descendants of those stray cats that found their way into our home. One was given to us. And the dogs that we had were all given to us too, so as far as I know we haven't bought a cat or dog yet. I won't mind buying a pet though, especially if I want to own a certain breed of pet. Adopting is nice too if you can afford to have more pets.

17. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I'd much prefer to adopt a pet that's in need of a home. Which is what I plan to do next time when I buy a cat!

18. Micheleteresa

MicheleteresaMember

Threads:
    As an animal rescuer and as a former shelter volunteer worker and surrender prevention worker, I urge people to please adopt from shelters, many healthy animals are killed in shelters due to lack of space. Age or health makes no difference newborn kittens and pups are killed along with their mothers. When you adopt from a shelter you not only save a life, you make room for another animal to have more time as you have cleared a space which very well save another life. If anyone would also like to help save the lives of dogs and cats but can not commit to ownership, please consider becoming an animal foster care giver. When you buy dogs from pet shops you are usually, unknowingly, supporting puppy mills.

19. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I always prefer to adopt pets rather than buy them. I think it is always best to adopt as there are several homeless pets who would be needing some or other kind of shelter and home. A lot of pets would be thankful if we decide to adopt the pets rather than buy them.

20. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I much prefer adopting and I even volunteered at an animal shelter before, however I must be honest and say that I bought my current dog, just because I was so in love with him and his breed I couldn't resist. However, my mother is a veterinarian and together we already adopted two cats and one dog. I do feel bad for having bought my dog (and he was quite expensive, he is a Cavalier), but this was a one time thing just because I fell in love with them. I do plan on adopting all of my pets in the future, and I even intend to adopt a cat next year. We'll see how that goes!