Do you prefer Cats or Dogs?

Discussion in Pets started by sarz • Mar 6, 2014.

?

Do you prefer Cats to Dogs?

1. Cats

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Dogs

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    Which are the most popular pet cats or dogs?

Cats are cute whilst their kittens, I would say they are less responsibilty than a dog. They don't need walking and the are less demanding. They are pretty much content with food in abumdance, a clean litter tray and a ball of string.

Dogs are more loyal, more protective and better company. But they need alot more attention and are more demanding then cats. But they force you to become more active and walking the dog is a great way to exercise.

2. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    Recently, I have changed sides. I used to be all about cats, they are beautiful and independent and I just love it when they purr. But lately, dogs have really grown on me. We have a 10 year old shih tzu and we just recently adopted a 1 year old chi weenie and I just adore her. They give me a good reason to go for walks everyday, I don't have a stinky litter box to deal with everyday. They are very loyal and loving. I voted for dogs, but really its a toss up, they both have great qualities and one or two cons.

3. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    Neither. Though it might be politically incorrect say. I do not like animals as pets. I am scared of them to be honest. I also do not think animals were made to be pets. It seems like a violation of nature. Animals should be allowed to stay in their natural habitat.

4. Cara18

Cara18Member

Threads:
    I prefer dogs. I am just used to growing up around them and a majority of my family has a cat allergy. I have a seven year old dog now and I wouldn't trade him for the world.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like full-grown pets and have never kept one till they reached that age of 'maturity.' Okay so if I were to choose between a kitten and a puppy I'd choose a puppy anytime. Don't ask why, it just is my preference.

6. alahnna

alahnnaMember

Threads:
    Honestly, I think it depends on the person as to what kind of pet they will prefer. I think personality plays a big part in it. Myself, I love cats. I love that they are independent so they don't need to be with me 24/7. I like that my two like to cuddle, even though it's only on their terms. Cats don't just give their love and loyalty blindly like dogs do.
    My boyfriend on the other hand, is a dog person. He likes that they are loyal and want to please you. He likes the aspect of having a guard dog, even though ours isn't the greatest at that job anymore since he's practically deaf and going blind. He likes to be adored and that the dog is always right there when you want him. Something following me around all the time drives me nuts. I like my space.

7. alfonso

alfonsoMember

Threads:
    I agree with you, and aside from the fact that cats are less responsibility, they are less expensive to take care of. Be that as it may, I still prefer dogs as pets. I feel like dogs have a strong bond with humans and also I love the fact that in most cases they can protect you and your home from intruders, just by barking. The problem with cats, at least for me, is they seem to leave cat fur everywhere, some cats destroy furniture using them as scratch posts and their poop really stinks. Another thing with my experience with cats, they only show affection when they're hungry, I'm sure that's not the case with all cats though.

8. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm allergic to cats, so I'll go for dogs, but not only because of that. I think dogs can turn into real friends with feeling similar to people, while cats can be really cold animals to which is harder to connect and establish a relation. Not to mention that they are inside the house the whole time, that doesn't help either.

9. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I am from the City and I think thats part of the reason why I am not so keen on animals overall.
    You will probably laugh but I have a massive phobia of pigeons and anything rodent like.
    Why are you scared of them.

I don't feel its politically incorrect to not like them and I see your point about animals being kept as pets.
    But animals that are domesticated and are pets, are highly unlikely to survive in the wild even though it may be their natural environment it is not one they are familiar with.

10. costin

costinActive Member

Threads:
    Living at the countryside, I`m used with both cats and dogs, but personally I would prefer dogs, they are more disciplined.
    When you have something to do and you say to your dog to get out, it does, while the cat will only start dancing around your leg, to make sure it will get attention it needs

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I can choose! I love animals and I absolutely love both cats and dogs. Growing up, my family only had dogs so I liked dogs more. However, a few years back my mom got a cat, and he's just so adorable, cuddly and cute that the whole family fell in love with cat! Right then I decided I prefered cats and dogs... then we rescued another cat, and although she was a little skittish she's so cute and playful, and the cats love each other so much that is a joy to watch. So when you think I would prefer cats, I ended up getting the cutest Cavalier King Charles Spaniel dog this year and I am so deeply in love with him I could never say i prefer dogs than cats... so I say I just love them all!

12. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer cats and always have done. Cats are no danger at all unlike dogs which can and do bite. AEven the msot viscious of cats will most likely only hiss and scratch in extreme cases. A dog's bite can be fatal though.

13. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    I love both and will always have both in my life so it's so hard to choose! I've had cats ever since I was born, and I've had dogs ever since I was 12 (am now 21) so both have been in my life for a long time.

But if I have to choose it'd definitely be cats. There's just something about them, they're such little characters. But at the same time they have a quiet, knowing, intelligent, observing way about them.

14. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am definitely a cat person, although a quiet dog that is easy to handle will also be welcome in my home. I couldn't deal with a puppy and all its needs, not to mention the training and the issues with other dogs, cats and humans. I really got put off dogs big time since I had to deal with the constant barking of a neighbour dog. I tried everything. I talked with my neighbour, I talked with the council, I offered to walk the dog, etc. But nothing worked, so I had to get the RSPCA involved because this dog was clearly never walked or much engaged in activities with people, and that's neglect. So I finally got peace when they threatened my neighbour with a big fine.
    I now prefer cats to dogs.

15. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I have to agree with this. I by no means hate animals, i just can't live with them. To be honest i do not want the around me period. I have had to many negative experiences with them. I do not trust them at all. I keep my distance as best i can. Though sometimes it is unavoidable.

16. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not far off that opinion as well Gmac, some animals are not indeed meant to be pets, but I don't think it's a case of cats and dogs. Well, a dog needs space and to be in the street, having a dog in a flat is somewhat cruel in my opinion.

17. Jennyflower81

Jennyflower81New Member

Threads:
    I love dogs, but, they require too much care. At this point in my life a dog is not good for my lifestyle, because I have a four year old to look after. Plus, I am low income and dogs often have veterinary needs that can be unexpected- if I had a dog I'd definitely get health insurance for it! I have been known to petsit for my friend's dogs though :)

I have 2 cats. I've been a cat owner all of my life and can't imagine life without a cat (or two.. or three). My two cats are good companions for each other, and all I have to do is feed them and keep their litter box clean. I have a special water fountain for them too, it is stainless steel and creates a constant stream for them to sip from. Cats don't make much noise, but they are destructive to my furniture! Even thought they have a scratching post, they'll scratch everything in the house. Oh well, I still love them.

18. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I like dogs best. They are loyal and more appreciative than cats in my opinion. I'm not saying cats are bad, I had one when I was little and those were fun times. I just don't want to feel ignored all the time honestly ;) Dogs can also be trained for all kind of useful tasks: caring for the children, helping blind people, finding drugs or weapons. Try doing this with a cat!

19. kindredsoul

kindredsoulNew Member

Threads:
    I like dogs.

I know what you are talking about when you say that dogs often have veterinary needs that can be unexpected. My son's favorite dog died of parvo. It is a very painful death for a dog. I tried to save him but the cost was $500 plus lab fees. I couldn't even pay for him to be put to sleep. Finally, the staff gave me a deal because I couldn't just take my dog with me. I love dogs, and have always been a dog lover--any size, any age.

20. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer dogs but I have a cat. This may seem strange but there is a very good reason behind this. At the time when I decided to get a pet I used to leave the house for work before 8 in the morning and not get home again until about 6pm. A cat can let itself in and out of a cat flap but a dog would need taking out and walking. I couldn't commit to this at the time.