Do You Prefer Expensive Branded Or Cheap Generic Items?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Corzhens • May 27, 2015.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Which would you prefer to buy online, generic or branded? For assurance of quality, I would go for branded. But my husband who is a very practical person (other word for cheapskate, hahahaaa) would always test the generic one. He had bought a garden house that is cheap and he was lucky to have a good one. But his next order of the same item proved defective. Sorry about that.

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It all depends on what sort of item it is. For example, I would buy a branded television but only choose generic cables to go with it. Similarly, I might choose the cheapest potatoes at the market but cover them with expensive branded ketchup.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on what it is and the difference in price as brands don't always equate to much better quality. If it was an airbed, then I would buy a branded one as I think it's worth it, but generic items that are not long lasting are probably better value. Things like bin liners or washing up liquid are fine as generic items for me.

4. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    For fast use or single use items, I typically get generic unless I KNOW the brand has things that I need or want. For instance, I buy expensive brand shampoo but store-brand razor blades. For something that I need to last, I check out the reviews. As someone above mentioned, air beds are a good example of significantly longer life and higher quality for that higher price-point.

5. Payge cheshire

Payge cheshireNew Member

Threads:
    I myself am a "cheapskate" or what I like to say a "frugal shopper". I like to use generic products for most things except when it comes to my babies! I make sure they have the best products including soaps, lotions and, powders. However, I like to use a few simple products to make my desired result.

For example I like to make my own laundry soap for my clothes. By using baking soda and a very generic bar soup that I use a cheese grader to make small enough. Very simple but yet very effective, I love the smell and it cleans very well.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I go for quality every time, but that doesn't mean that I buy any kind of brand names. In fact, I avoid brand names, as I don't like to support multi-national companies. I mostly buy organic products from small, independent companies. Their prices appeal to me. But above all, it's the quality that counts for me.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It really depends on the product.

For most things, I'm a-okay with the generic brands. Sometimes, though, name brand is the way to go for me. For example, I don't buy cheap toilet paper and we're a Helmann's mayo family.

8. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the product for me as well. I’ve found that many generic items are great. Occasionally they’re better than the brand names, even. But I will pay a little more for branded pet food, certain sauces, baking supplies, and items I expect to use/keep around for a long time. Or if a branded item happens to be on sale for cheaper than the generic equivalent, I’ll go for that.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    If I know I'll be using the item a lot and will be wearing it out I will usually go for the more expensive brand. If it's something that I don't think I need that much quality for then I'd just buy cheap. I have bought some extension cords, for example, that were cheap but when I got home I found out that they were a bit unreliable as they only work in certain places so I had to go back to the store and exchange them for something more expensive. I felt bad about that too since I had to waste a trip just to exchange it but at least now I know better and for this particular item I'll probably never cut costs again.

10. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I usually buy cheaper things that I can customise myself. However things like electrical items I will buy more expensive brands so that I know they're going to be more reliable. I think it's more important that safety comes first with those sorts fo things. When it comes to more general things that aren't likely to be any sort of safety hazard, for example picture frames or mirrors, I'll go for the cheapest I can get my hands on and then customise it myself to be more expensive looking.

11. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    If it's appliances and electronic I prefer to buy the tried and proven brands, in this situation there is the consideration for safety and longevity. However, there are many other things in which the generic brands are suitable enough and I would be able to save a bit of money

12. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    For some things you definitely get what you pay for and when you buy the branded items you get the warranty that comes with it. I find that with cheaper generic items like cables etc. if they break there is no recourse you just have to throw it away. I bought my son Earbuds and they broke, Best Buy replaced them. Within another 8 months this new pair stopped working, I contacted the manufacturer who gave me a credit note for a new pair to purchase from their website. This third pair has lasted so I'm pleased with the product finally.