Do you prefer Free Weights or Machines?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by dieselfit • Oct 23, 2013.

1. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    Machines are great but most people believe that they NEED machines for the best of being healthy. I disagree with this out of pure facts and just the very statement that people come up with that we need gyms in order to become stronger and more fit is just something that is developed by media. Free weights are great of course but they are truly underrated and never used properly or at least from what I see it's not! The exercises that free weights offer are much more difficult than any other exercises provided by machines. And the results are almost tripled by free weights!

2. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer machines as they are adjustable real easy for me and they have a way of making me feel comfortable as i work out. I do think that i have my own way of working out that is more to do with me not feeling a lot of pain as i go through the motions and so machines are much better for me as they allow me to do and be that.

3. eg0mez

eg0mezMember

Threads:
    I always use what is most comfortable for me as it is for me I am doing the workout.
    I have tried both and I will have to go with free weights because I do not like the pull machines have on my body.
    I mean I like pull ups, but machine pulling is so uncomfortable except for cable flys.

4. marmunmrhundun

marmunmrhundunBanned

Threads:
    I like machines better, or at least for me. It is always good to use free weights, but I would much prefer to use a machine if I could. Using a machine makes it easier for me, and it helps because it decreases the likeliness of me straining myself.

5. DankAllen

DankAllenBanned

Threads:
    I am all about the elliptical when I'm at the gym. That's what I do for the most part when I am there. I feel like I am always out of balance when I am trying to lift weights. I'd like to lift them at my house with no one around to get a feel for it.

6. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I will take the free weights path which allows for three-dimensional movement and the weights I like to use for this are dumbells,kettle bells,and I like ankle weights a lot also. I think free weights are the simple way to go-and you can even take them to the great outdoors,backyard or just go for a jog with the ankle weights on as well.

7. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    As @dieselfit@dieselfit stated, the machine workout isn't as effective at results. On top of that, I think people are prone to back injury using machines (among other possible ones). It's because all body types don't' fit the machine.

Anyway, though, I wouldn't totally avoid machines, but I'd like to phase them out as much as I can.

Oh, by the way, as I mentioned in a newer thread, dumbbells are much cheaper also. Their cost is low and you don't need a gym to use them.

8. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I like free weights mostly just because I do not really enjoy the gym, but there are some machines that are tough to beat. I love the rowing machine and try to duplicate at home but it is not the same.

9. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Well, to be honest I wouldpreferr machines but I cannot afford to buy them so, I work with free weights. I work three times a week with free weight but i do go to a gym close to my home twice a week. I guess that this winter i will go only to gym and I will stop working at home.