Do You Prefer "freemium" Games Or Paid Games?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by Robilas • Jul 7, 2016.

1. Robilas

RobilasMember

Threads:
    Lately a lot of "freemium" games are becoming popular. The so called "freemium" games are free in the basic version, meaning that you don't need to pay anything to download them, but offer a lot of "in app purchases" required to advance in the game (the "premium" aspect). Sometimes these games are almost impossible to finish or to play competitively without spending real money. On the other hand "paid" games require you to spend money only when you buy them, and you can finish these games without paying extras.

I understand why this model is successful: casual gamers are attracted by the free aspect - after all, you are playing a quality game for free- but as they get addicted the impulse to spend money on the game rises.

Personally I prefer paying a certain amount of money for the full game instead of spending more and more money over time. However I must admit that some freemium games are really excellent and fun to play, namely Clash Of Clans and Summoners War, and they can be totally played without spending a dime.

What do you think?

2. shcoo

shcooMember

Threads:
    Many of the "freemium" games make non-paying players wait a specific amount of time before they can play another round or regenerate resources. I actually prefer this caveat, because it keeps me from wasting all day on the game. I can play it for a brief moment, put it down, and do something productive while the required time passes in the game. Then again, I am a pretty casual gamer, so I could see how more competitive people could get annoyed in this case.

To save money, I basically never purchase new video games, for neither my phone nor my consoles. (I still only have an XBox 360 and a DS. That's how cheap and out of date I've become, lol.) I also avoid paying for online subscriptions like XBox Live, because I know the competitive live community would tempt me to spend more money on extra DLC and power-ups.

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like free games like on pch.com and facebook. Facebook lets you play free most of the time like the mahjongg games, but some of the games at facebook you'll eventually have to pay, so you got to choose wisely when you play games.

4. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I generally download free games but don't really bother with in app features, i play games to kill time, I don't get caught up with it, i used to, but now i know better. It's really just games and i don't take them seriously.

5. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I also only download free games on my gadget. Just like you, I only play games just to kill time and I never get too attached to the games I play. Once I am done or I no longer play a game quiet often, I just uninstall it and look for another free game that would interest me. :)

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's better to buy a "complete" game and be done with it rather than download what appears to be a free game which is created with the sole intent of getting you to spend a lot of money on in app purchases. If what you want is to save money then no one should download these freemium games. Either get a free game or spend a couple of bucks on a game and never have to concern yourself with paying for fancy weapon upgrades, more levels, etc.

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would never pay to play a game. It is true alot of games want you to spend money on them to advance, but I don't care about that. I like games that are either totally free or reward you for playing. I am not paying out of my meager funds to play games no matter how entertaining they might be.

8. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well often times there are ways around having to pay for a game if you really want to play it, as we all know, so I guess I am a weird combination of both. The only time I really pay for games is when I buy them for a console, and I try to limit any other spending. It is nice that you can get a good amount of free games if you know where to look, though, so that certainly helps. Thanks for sharing.