Do You Prefer Hand Mixing Or Using A Mixer?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • Mar 1, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For many years, I just used a whisk or spoon and mixed everything by hand. During lean times, it was the better more frugal option to use manual tools instead of buying small kitchen appliances. I received a mixer as a gift for mother's day one year, and I use it more often now. I'm still in the habit of just grabbing a whisk, but then I remember the mixer.

Do you use an electric mixer or do you mix by hand?

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard that it is all in the looseness of the jaw - as far as not getting burned out when you are whisking. My mother's boyfriend is a chef, and always gives that advice. Whatever, it still burns me out lol. But a lot of the time, I just want to eat whatever I am cooking as soon as possible, and cannot be bothered to have to find the electrical device, plug it in, and all of that. In that time, my hand can do the job?

3. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a pretty lazy person, hence the convenience of using a mixer appeals to me much more. Of course it's easier to over-mix certain preparations if you're not doing it by hand but I think that so long as you keep an eye on it you can't really go wrong with using a mixer.

4. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    I don't even own a mixer and use a whisk or spoon to mix or a potato masher. My cake batters come out fine and my mashed potatoes never have lumps. Plus, its a bit of a workout without a mixer which is a bit of a bonus .

5. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I do not own a mixer. But I would definitely love to own one very soon. I think they are beautiful and can do our job quite easily. I think they make the best gift for mothers.

6. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    Depends on what I'm making. For things there are harder, like certain doughs, I generally use the mixer. If I making a batter, then I'll just mix it by hand. Using the mixer is awesome, cause hey no ache-y arms! But it's also annoying to have to clean and wipe down the whole thing.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have a manual egg beater and electric mixer which I alternately use depending on the situation at hand. If I'm just going to whip up a normal omelet, then it's not necessary to use either egg beater or electric mixer. A fork will do. I use the electric mixer if I'm baking sweets that require confectioner's sugar or whipped cream.

8. deannatroupe

deannatroupeMember

Threads:
    My mixer is my best friend. I can make my cakes in less time. Anything that helps me get my masterpieces out quicker is a plus. My family hates to wait. I guess my cooking is too good for them to wait for. I guess that is not a bad problem to have. lol

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really have a need for a mixer, as such. But if I did, I'd much rather use the electric mixer. It's quicker and blends things nicely, compared to doing it manually.

10. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I can never, regardless how hard I train, beat my electric mixer. It will always win. There are some things that I stubbornly have chosen to do manually always but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm better. Just more stubborn.

11. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only use the electric mixer for baking, as quite a lot of whisking/mixing is usually needed here. I don't bother getting it out for anything else though and will just mix with a whisk or fork. Not everything requires sustained beating.

12. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I tend to forget I have the mixer unless I"m doing a lot of cooking or baking. I usually pull it out for holidays and special occasions, since there is a lot more cooking and baking involved. I occasionally use it for mashed potatoes as well, if my arthritis acts up and my husband is further than a shout for help away. I just haven't mastered using a potato masher with the wrong hand yet, lol.

Good point about over-mixing too, Squigly. It does make a difference.

13. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on what you are cooking or baking. If I am only cooking egg omelette, then a fork is handy. When doing complicated things like baking cakes, it would be wise to use the a mixer so that you do not burn out yourself. We have to take advantage of the technology as they seems to make our work much lighter and easier.

14. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    It is a hassle to get the electric mixer ready and then clean it, but when I watch it mix ingredients I just know it is worth the effort, because I could never incorporate everything so smoothly. They really are amazing. I recently started using my mixer to make a packaged mousse, and it is amazing how light and airy it gets. The mixer really is a worthwhile investment.