Do You Prefer Hardwood Floors Or Carpet In Your Home?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by wulfman • Aug 1, 2014.

1. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    I have lived with carpet most of my life. But after some time gives off an odor. And I really don't think those steam cleaners do much . I prefer hardwood floors or tiles which can be mopped with diluted bleach or floor disinfectant. Also depends on the type of climate you live in but even if I live in a colder climate again, I'd go with tiles. Cleaner, especially if you have a pet and a lot of dust and like to keep the windows and doors open in your house.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer terrazzo floors. Once it's been 'installed' a terrazzo floor is possibly the one floor that will not need much maintenance except just the regular cleaning. Another thing about the floors is that they can be really beautiful, depending on how the 'floor layout' is designed and how much of an aesthete your flooring expert is.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd have to go with hardwood flooring over carpet every time. It's easy to clean and doesn't stain unless you do something really nasty to it. Plus, when it comes to dealing with fleas or other infestations, hardwood flooring doesn't really give such pests a great environment to live in. Hardwood is convenient, easy to clean, and a cost-effective flooring option long-term. What's there not to like about it?

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Over here we do not use carpets, and our floors are made of tiles. I actually prefer this set-up, because we can easily clean the floor if something has spilled on it or when it gets dirty, muddy, etc. And just thinking about how a carpet can accumulate lots of dust, dirt and grime over the course of many months or years is a good enough reason why I will never want a carpeted room in my future house. :D

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My current apartment has a tiled floor which I like because it is really easy to clean and sanitize and it gives me a feeling of pride to see shining ,clean tiles.
    My apartment when I was a child had hardwood floors and they sometimes got scratched. One time the floor even got a scorch mark when a guest dropped a cigarette on it.
    Wood floors are beautiful but I prefer tile for ease of care.

6. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer hardwood floors. Carpeting can harbor a lot of allergens, and it traps odors as anyone who has pets can confirm. Hardwood floors are easy to clean, and they look much better in my opinion.

7. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I have had carpet in my home and I use to waste things on it all the time and it was a pain. I think hard wood floors would are much easier to maintain than carpet because after a while the carpet starts to smell bad. I think having them is better because it easier clean up for me and I don't have to struggle to sweep up trash than I do with carpet. Just recently I pulled the carpet up in my bedroom and it was hideous underneath. It smell so bad I almost threw up. It had nice hardwood floors underneath and the years stains from carpet had on got onto the hardwood floors.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I prefer hardwood floors a lot more. Carpets just take too much effort to maintain and the benefits aren't nearly significant enough for me to go through all that effort to clean it. I'd much rather I just have a hardwood floor and then il just put a rug on whichever area needs it, because you could at least just throw away a rug once it gets too dirty or too old.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hard wood floors for sure! In fact, I hate carpets so much that my current apartment has carpets and I am seriously thinking of moving unless that Landlord agrees to change them to hardwood floors and pay for that himself. I understand having carpets if you live in a very cold place, but I live in a tropical country where it's hot most of the year. Carpets are anti-hygienic, hard to clean and warm up the house. I fully intend to never live in a place with a carpet again in my life.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have hardwood and tile through out my house. Carpet tends to get very dirty and very hard to clean. If you have allergeries carpet in the house is not your friend, just gets into the carpet threads and can cause you to be very sick very quickly. We usually had people take their shoes off when they came into our house to keep the germs and dirty off the floor. When you think about what you step in on the street and then bring it into your house on the carpet gross big time.

11. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Hmm...hard to say really. I love carpet, especially if it's nice and thick, and deep. Nothing quite like sinking your toes into a thick carpet early in the morning and just wiggling them around! On the other hand, I know that they get hide the dirt. They don't actually get any dirtier than wood floors, it's just that you tend to not notice the dirt if it's carpet as opposed to wood floors. But, you can't slide around in your socks on carpet!

12. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I for SURE prefer hardwood floors. When I was growing up I would have said carpet for the softness when walk across the floor but today now that I'm a grownup and have to clean it I can't live without hardwood floors. Hardwood is so much easier to maintain I have found and carpet you have to steam so often to keep it looking decent unless you have the "no shoe policy" in the house which I have found hard to keep up with especially when you have company.

13. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't abide carpets. They make me feel like I am suffocating, no matter how practical or ornamental they might be. I just can't have them around my living quarters. I prefer a hardwood or stone floor. Something that feels like it is "alive" and natural.
    There were times when I stayed in the homes of friends and family who have wall-to-wall carpets, and I literally felt sick from the smell in their flats.

14. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer hardwood floors because this is what I have lived with all my life. Also when I visit my friend's house, she has carpet on her floors. I have notice her carpet is a bit dirty and the smell is quite strong. She isn't someone who is keen on keeping her house together but that's neither here nor there. I find hardwood floors easier to clean and I don't have to worry about stains on the floor if I drop a cup of juice by accident.

15. unstrung

unstrungMember

Threads:
    I had an interesting conversation with a friend about this the other day. I was visiting for the weekend, and my friend lives with her significant other in a super giant and super old house that they have been gradually renovating over time. She was telling me about pulling up the carpet, which was installed some 80-90 years ago, if I recall, and it prompted a discussion of carpeting vs. hardwood. One particularly interesting aspect of it all was talking about the shift from carpet to hardwood - at one point, hardwood was commonplace and carpeting was a sign of wealth, and nowadays it can sometimes seem like the exact opposite is true. We were limited in our discussion because neither of us are experts on carpets and/or flooring, but I ended up finding this interesting article about the history of the US carpeting industry:

It's an interesting read, if you're into this sort of thing...

16. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I have all hardwood floors in my house, and I wouldn't change it for the world. They are so easy to clean. They do not get scratched up very easily. They bring character into the house. They help with keeping allergies at bay. I am so glad that I have them in my house.

17. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    I'm going to be a difficult one and say both! I really do like both of them though. I prefer hardwood in the living room and dining rooms. I just love the way it looks especially when they shine clean. Then I love carpet in bedrooms. If you keep them feeling great a smelling fresh especially. I also would love tile in the kitchen and bathrooms.

18. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I absolutely love hardwood floors, but my apartment now has carpets and I don't think I'm going to change that any time soon because to remove them would mean a $400/month rent increase. The good thing is I have someone come in every 6 months to clean the carpet so they look good and don't smell, but I would still prefer hardwood floors.

19. atlman

atlmanNew Member

Threads:
    Any sane person would want both in wherever they're living at the moment. Usually I like hardwood in the kitchen and hallways, and I like my carpet in the bedroom and in the living room. I've lived in apartments and houses with all hardwood floor and all carpet and I hated both of them. I felt that the rooms were just stale and had no unique feeling to it. It almost like have the same color furniture throughout all the rooms in the house.

20. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Yep agree with this. The current place I live in is basically all hardwood floors except in the bedrooms and it's an absolute nightmare to keep the floor clean. Literally only takes 2 days for the floor the be filthy again after mopping up and it needs to be swept daily to get all the junk off the floor.

I like the look of hardwood floor a lot better, but would much prefer to keep it contained just to the kitchen area, hallways, and bathrooms as you said. It's much easier to spend 15 minutes with a vacuum than constantly sweeping and mopping up the floor.