Do You Prefer Hardwood Floors Or Carpet In Your Home?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by wulfman • Aug 1, 2014.

1. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I have both in my home. I love the carpet in my living room. I think it adds to the overall aesthetic appeal of the room. Same case with hardwood floors. Adds a touch of class and elegance to the house, I think.

2. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I want hardwood floors or even tile. I love them! They keep the house cooler, they are easier to clean, less allergies. I think the carpet is okay in like the bedroom or something, my husband likes carpet, but I hate it. I'd get rid of it if I didn't live in an apartment.

3. PhilA

PhilAMember

Threads:
    I have hardwood floors on the entire downstairs. This makes sense to me as dirty shoes, food and drinks being split, pets running around etc
    I have carpets on the stairs and all the bedrooms. This works out well for bare feet being comfortable and warm on nice carpets.

Overall, taking into account value for money I would have to say that hardwood flooring is a better option, especially if you buy decent quality, I think carpets are a thing of the past in some regard.

4. soultakerkage

soultakerkageMember

Threads:
    I prefer hardwood floors. Since I have a lot of pets, it is just a lot easier to clean. I usually use different rugs as a nice decorative alternative though.

5. wvboarder

wvboarderMember

Threads:
    Hardwood will always win for me. It's just so much easier to clean and keep clean. I used to like carpet for the comfort but wearing thick socks does the trick for me fine. Carpet just fades and holds stains and just turns out to be a pain in the butt most of the time. If I want carpet in just one room it would be the bedroom but not really anywhere else.

6. SevenWays

SevenWaysNew Member

Threads:
    What others said is true, from a practical point of view hardwood floors are preferable. I have allergies and a cat, a carpeted floor would be a nightmare to keep clean enough.
    But I like hardwood floors for another reason: nothing else gives you a better atmosphere for a home. I think it makes the whole house feel warm and calm. Where I currently live we have tiles, and there is just no comparison with hardwood, it feels colder and less welcoming.

The best solution would probably be to have different surfaces in different rooms, if you're not allergic to dust a carpet in the bedroom is a great idea, tiles probably work best in the bathroom, and hardwood is a great choice for living rooms. But it also becomes a matter of style and design!

7. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I would prefer carpet in my home rather than hardwood floors, except for in the kitchen and bathroom. I cannot stand to wake up and my feet hit a cold floor. With carpet, I would not have to worry about that. Also, I like walking around my house barefooted and I hate when my feet get dirty from hardwood floors because people be walking back and forward and tracked in dirt.

8. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    In my country, having carpet is practically unheard of. I've only met one person who has carpeted floors. I prefer tiles and that is what I have. There are a lot of different kinds of tiles imported here and I prefer the Spanish tiles. They are very high quality and I like the colors that they use. Tile is very easy to clean. You can use a broom and a mop very quickly to clean it and you do not have to worry about any stains settling in to tile. I don't think I have ever seen hardwood floors here, but I would only assume that they are just as easy to clean as tile floors.

9. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    Carpets and hardwood floor are rare in PR. The most common floors are terrazo or ceramic tiles. I grew up with ceramic tiles and I love it, it's so easy to clean and after over 20 years the floor sparkles like it's brand spanking new. Now I live on an rented apartment with terrazo and I find this type of floor is harder to clean and over time can get stained and look dirty. Our apartment's floor looks pretty old and has stains on the kitchen. So I would say my favorite floor is tiles. I've only seen full carpet on some offices but it looks like it would be hard to clean. Hardwood floor looks pretty but I think I've never seen it in person.

10. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I have never had a hard wood floor, or even a fake laminate one, but being a dancer, I would love to have even just one room have a floor of wood or laminate so I could more easily practice at home. Linoleum isn't too bad, but where I live now it is a little too padded to be a good dance surface so I wear nylon socks whenever I want to practice on it.

11. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely prefer hardwood floor over carpet and my reasons are; 1) Hardwood floor is easier to clean, more cost friendly and better looking, a carpet is a cool accessories to have in your home but carpets are getting obsolete because 1) they are able to give people sinuses and bacteria, 2)they are hard work to clean, or they consistently need cleaning and 3) they will leave marks on the floor when removing them. But, where I live, instead of wooden floors, everyone has ceramic or porcelain tiles.

12. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    A few years ago, I begged my landlord to convert to hardwood floors (as well as other changes) and he refused. The carpet in my place was old and not easy to clean. I was even willing to contribute but ...oh well. When I vacated, he bragged about being able to rent to a Spacex employee since the HQ had just opened around the corner. I'm thinking "Yeah, right...as much as that demographic likes sustainable living, this is the last place they would rent.

13. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I also vote for hardwood floors. cleaning is a snap. I like Murphy's oil soap. It's cheap and effective. Carpet wears and smells. We have cheap rugs around for the carpet feel without the commitment. If someone spills cherry Kool-aid on them, it's not a disaster- just an excuse to go to Big Lots.

14. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Our first apartment had hardwood floors and once you get past the initial chill of your feet, it's the better way to go in my opinion. We then moved to a place with wall to wall carpet and it just wasn't enough of a variance for me. It sounds crazy, but I enjoyed being able to leave the living room with carpet and step onto the hallway floor. So, I would need to have hardwood floors with rugs in various rooms.

15. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    Oh gracious I hate carpet. I have too many animals for carpet and once one has an accident or yacks up a hairball good luck cleaning it up. Hardwood floors or even tile are the way to go in my opinion. Even if you do not have any pets carpet contains dust mites after a while. If you wear shoes on it the dirt just gets ground in. I think I'd even rather have sealed concrete than carpet.

16. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    Tile probably is the best choice for pets. You have to be extremely careful about which cleaners you use with hardwood floors so you don't remove the varnish. And, they become scratched easily from moving furniture. Sunlight streaming in from the windows has even caused some bubbling of the varnish on our floors. I love the way they look, and I think they are lower-maintenance than carpet, but they are certainly not no-maintenance.

17. preacherbob50

preacherbob50Member

Threads:
    If carpets are not cleaned properly they attract more dirt after the cleaning. The soap residue does what it is supposed to do. It gathers the dirt and separates it from the fibers so it can be cleaned. Many professional carpet cleaners use a commercial cleaner but they fail to extract all of it.
    Back to the question. Both hardwood and carpet depending on the room. Bedroom....Carpet Living Room...Carpet. The rest should be hard wood because of the constant cleaning factor.

18. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My currently apartment has a combination of tile and carpeting. I hate the carpeting. It's so hard to keep clean and there are no kids or pets living here. My roommates are careless, but complain at the carpet cleaning bill.

My next place will be hardwood floors with tile in the kitchen and bathroom. I also want a variety of rugs. I love Persian rugs on hardwood floors.

19. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely prefer hard flooring...carpeting is more of a pain to clean and can get really gross if not cleaned properly/often enough. Our apartment right now has hard flooring everywhere except the bedroom, which is carpeted. It's nice to get a little more warmth and cozy feeling but I'd still be just as well doing without it altogether.

20. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer hardwood or tiled floors over interior house carpeting, because the formers are not as dusty, easy to clean, last longer, and does not trap heat during the hot summer days. Most of my life, I've lived in places with hardwood and tiled floors, and I resonate with it more. I have lived in a few places with full carpeting, but I did not like it. However, I do like laying some carpet around the house over certain places of my hardwood or tiled floors, like the bathroom or front door entrance area, as decoration and to keep unwanted things from moving all over my house.