Do you prefer in app purchases or paying up front for a game?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by springdaisies • May 14, 2014.

1. springdaisies

springdaisiesNew Member

Threads:
    Which do you prefer?

I don't mind in app purchases as such. If they add significantly to my enjoyment of a game and they're inexpensive I'm quite likely to occasionally make use of them. If an in app purchase is necessary to carry on using (or progress within) a game though, and it's not made clear before you start playing, then I'm likely to abandon it.

I would prefer to pay an up front price in those cases. It seems more honest. I'll happily pay a fiver for a game (or a bit more) if it looks good, and pay more later for fun, but if I feel they're trying to push me into paying for it I'm going to be annoyed.

2. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    I hate making purchases after the original app has been downloaded. I almost feel cheated because I wanted the whole package when I made the download and didn't expect to be ambushed with in-app purchases.

Most of the times, if you don't make the purchases the app does not even work as it is supposed to. This is such a sneaky way for apps to make money and I am not a fan at all.

They should be providing a complete app when you download it. Sure, throw in a few nice upsells in there, but it should not be to the extent where if you do not buy, the app will not even work as desired!

3. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I would rather paying up front. Your heart sinks when they fail to mention that you have to pay later in the game in the description; you think the game is free and then just when you're falling in love with it, it asks you to pay. I had that happen to me a couple times and I was all sad the rest of the day. At least when you pay up front you know that you won't be asked later.

4. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    If it asks for a payment upfront then I don't accept any additional in-app purchases, it's just a big money grab.
    If the app is free however, I have no problem with whatever in-app purchases they make, I actually prefer this method; it allows me to try out some functionalities before I commit any money so what's not to like?

5. nuka cola

nuka colaBanned

Threads:
    I'd usually rather just buy the game, although I have bought a lot of in game stuff too. I've bought gems in Clash of Clans, diamonds in Boom Beach, and tons of other random games too.

6. bmarks

bmarksMember

Threads:
    I'd rather pay up-front any day. I tend to get addicted to mobile games and if there are in-app purchases that will help me advance, my willpower is not enough sometimes to prevent me from splurging, so I try to avoid games like those. I like the peace of mind of paying for a game and knowing it is complete and that I won't have to put in any more effort apart from simply enjoying the game.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I favor in-app purchases because I at least get to sample the app I'll be using. It's just that some of them don't make too good of a case for it or just structure it in a way that it becomes annoying, so I think that is what most people are against. I think that if it's a well made product then it wouldn't matter much when they ask for the payment, but as I've said, at least future payments will grant you the ability to try the product first and thus reach a more educated decision.

8. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    I much prefer an up front cost. It feels more honest in many ways, and an issue which I've found is that a lot of apps and games which take the free2play model for apps are more often free2play yet pay2win, which ends up forcing you to actually pay up if you want to compete with other players. And then there's the god awful 'Do you want to pay us to be able to play more often?' purchases.

No, I would like to pay once and be able to play the game whenever I want thanks all the same.

9. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I like free apps the best, but if I have to spend money I'd rather pay with an in-app store. It gives me a chance to play the game without spending money to see if I like it. If I find I really like it then I will spend money in the game. I'd rather know if I am going to enjoy it first then spend money and hate it.

10. IrishLad

IrishLadNew Member

Threads:
    I much prefer paying up front for a game. When I do in-app purchases it just make me feel that the developers are trying to get more money off me, which they rightly are. I never pay too much for my games though, the most I would ever pay would be $5 but usually I only pay $1-$2. People should always make sure to be careful of in-app purchases, they add up!

11. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In-App purchases are terrible because most games become nearly impossible in later stages without making such purchases. It turns into a game where you have to grind for days if you want to proceed without buying your way to progress. I prefer buying games upfront and making no in-app purchases above everything else.

12. unstrung

unstrungMember

Threads:
    When I first got my android phone, I made a solemn vow to myself that I would never, ever, never ever ever, pay for an app. And, so far I have been able to stick to my rule, which means that I have no experience with paying up front for apps. But, I do have experience with apps that are free, apps that feature/encourage/require in-app purchases, and apps that pretend to be one thing but are secretly the other. The last category is the one that really gets my goat.

If an app has in-app purchases, and is absolutely clear in the description that it has in-app purchases, I don't have any problem with it. I can decide to download it or not, and will be making an informed decision. Some games are still worth playing, even without the benefits I could obtain from the micropayments they want me to make. But, I absolutely agree with the other folks here who have highlighted that sinking feeling that comes from starting a game, becoming immersed in it, and suddenly being asked for money to continue.

Apparently, many people have experienced the same frustration - check out this article from the New York Times:

The European Commission and the American FTC have both been cracking down on Apple and Google to label their apps accurately with regards to purchases being offered and/or required. Amazon is on their radar too, according to the article. Will it make a difference? I sure hope so...