Do you prefer paper books to ebooks?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by illusion • Nov 8, 2013.

1. fairydust007

fairydust007New Member

Threads:
    I like both. However, I only keep a select number of "real" book. I donated so many books when eBooks came out. I love having all of my eBooks with me wherever I go. I also like that you can share eBooks. I am a huge book nerd, so eBooks are right up my alley. I also like that eBooks are less expensive. I can't tell you how many times before eBooks I dropped $200 on books. If I spent $200 on eBooks, I'd have so many!

2. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    For a read as long as a book, I choose paper. Other things - short stories or news stories - I prefer in e-form. So, I have yet to jump on the kindle bandwagon. Maybe I will in the future, but for now, I am going to stick with paper books.

3. 4justice

4justiceNew Member

Threads:
    I like both. But in preference, I prefer normal paperback books if I had to choose between the two. It's the same as I choose physical discs over digital. Digital stuff is great, but I like the sense of ownership that comes with having a physical copy of any product.

4. jdp1986

jdp1986New Member

Threads:
    I love the feel of a real book in my hands, the weight of it is soothing to me somehow and the smell of a new book makes me happy. I am one of those odd book lovers that literally love everything about books, however I do read e-books when I travel to cut down on the number of things I have to keep up with and because losing a good book would be heart breaking. I cannot imagine a world where my entire library was made up of e-books, but I do believe they have a place and use in my life.

5. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I need to read on paper, I can't read on the computer and I don't have those "modern" digital portable devices to read e-books, besides I think they can harm our eyes. I do love e-books because many are free, but I print them and read them on paper. ;)

6. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the type of book. If I want to learn from the book, I need a paper book. If it is just some kind of story, I like to read it on my Kindle.

7. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I like ebooks more since I'm always on my computer. You don't have to use your hands as much. They can't be damaged or get lost. I never read books much so I don't find holding one comforting.

8. brian101

brian101New Member

Threads:
    I tend to read ebooks more because I'm usually on my computer and I do like them because of convenience and portability whether its on your tablet or phone but at the same time I like to read an old fashion book because like 4justice said I like the sense of ownership, plus their not as hard on the eyes.

9. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer ebooks because they're more convenient.

I find them much easier to read than paper books because they're small and they aren't bulky, you only have to hold them with one hand, you don't have to hold the book open, if it gets dirty you can just wipe it off (important for me because I read outside and with my pets), you don't get paper cuts, etc etc. I do still like to read my favorite series in paper books though.

10. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    An eBook, in my opinion is more accessible than paper books, but the problem with eBooks are that it's electronic, meaning it generates radiation, which is bad for our health.

Spending a day on your eBook reader is very bad because radiation is harmful to our body. However, if you have a paper book, you could flip pages in the traditional way and it isn't harmful to your health.

There are pros and cons about both options, but if I were to choose, I'd definitely go for paper books. They're more traditional and it feels good to have an actual book in my hands.

11. Mercvry

MercvryBanned

Threads:
    Just something about holding a physical paperback book. :)

12. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    I do not prefer either one. I am into audio books. However if i had to choose one. I would choose e-books. Simply because downloading a book and saving it to your device is much easier than carrying around a bunch of heavy books.

13. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I definitely prefer paper books. I need to be able to smell and feel a book in my hands to get full satisfaction out of it. I like to be able to stick my bookmark in it and even make a note on the last page when I bought it. I am a collector of books and have an extensive library at home. Also, I especially love second-hand books that have been treasured for decades by somebody. It's such a good feeling to me to hold something in my hands that used to be special to somebody perhaps already dead now. It's like a legacy.