Do You Prefer Removable Or Non-removal Batteries For Cellphones?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by moneymania • Oct 13, 2017.

1. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    True, and you pointed out another reason why removable batteries are better than the non-removable ones. Sometimes the charging port messes up, or the flow of power from the socket is very low, so it charges very slowly, so you will be forced to use a universal battery charger to charge it.

2. Vinicius Souza

Vinicius SouzaMember

Threads:
    I prefer removable battery for cellphones because I can change myself the battery when it shows some problem. I particularly hate when a phone does not have a removable cover.

When I had an iphone 5S, I just needed to send my phone to technical assistance to change the battery. Recently, I have bought smartphones with removable cover.

3. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @Vinicius Souza@Vinicius Souza, How much did you pay just for the technician to replace the battery? Was the labor cheap or expensive?

4. Vinicius Souza

Vinicius SouzaMember

Threads:
    I am from Brazil. So, I payed about R$ 200.00, in direct conversion, $ 55.55. I did not send to Apple technical assistance, I sent for a local technical assistance because it is more cheaper. If I sent for a Apple technical assistance, I would pay much more.

However, if I could change the battery myself, I do not have doubts that I spent much less.

5. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer the removable batteries because I can buy another battery and replace the old one if it is broken and doesn't hold the power. If the batteries would not be removable I don't know know what I could do with my phone!

6. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @Vinicious Souza, Wow, $55 just to change the battery? It would indeed be cheaper if you will just buy a phone with a removable battery. I wonder how much Apple would charge, $55 is expensive already.

7. reuben onyango

reuben onyangoNew Member

Threads:
    I would take a phone with a removable battery any day because:
    • They offer you a comfortable restart option in case the phone freezes.
    • Replacing battery is much cheaper and easier you can do it yourself by just popping out the faulty battery and replacing it with a new one.
    • You can quickly repair water damage by using the average hair drier to dry waters from remote parts under the battery.
    Finally, with a removable battery, you can easily carry an extra battery for backup.

8. Vinicius Souza

Vinicius SouzaMember

Threads:
    Apple in Brazil is seen like a prime brand. This way, the prices are abusive. Recently, a website showed Iphone sold in Brazil is the more expensive than any part from the world.

9. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    In my opinion, just like most members here, I prefer cell phones with removable batteries. Those kinds of phones pose more advantages than their counterparts. It is easy to carry along an emergency/backup battery in case the other one runs out of power. It is also easy to repair in case the cell phone drops in water and unlike those with inbuilt batteries.​

10. Keibah

KeibahActive Member

Threads:
    Presently I'm using a phone with a non removable battery and I can say from my previous experience with removable batteries that built in batteries are better. I have never had any cause to worry about my battery going on two years. It is strong and durable and I think it was built that way as part of the phone.

Unlike removable batteries that start having problems in no time and you have to change over and over again. What's more is that they may not be as compatible as the original song you keep on buying but with built in batteries, when eventually it has a problem you take it directly the the manufacturers outlet and you'll be sure to get quality care.

11. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    @moneymania@moneymania One thing I don't like about removable batteries is the rampant way they have been making the substandard ones. Also, buying phones that come with removable battery can be risky if the seller happen to replace the original battery with a fake one that doesn't last long. So, I will always go for the non-removable battery for these reasons.

@Keibah@Keibah I agree with you on the fact that non-removable batteries can last longer as a result of the fact that there are less substandard ones in the market. You cannot say same of removable ones that you won't be sure that you're getting a better one at the point of purchase.

I've always used a removable battery smartphone since I began using my phone devices and I must say that it has not been a good experience not until I bought my last smartphone that came with a non-removable battery. That has given me a lift and enable me enjoy my device with less worries about the authenticity of the battery. So, I will always go for the non-removable battery now that I know the difference.

#31Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2017
  12. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    In my experience, I am now buying batteries that are not made by the original manufacturer, and they last for 2 yrs. or more, depending on how often you charge them. And those batteries only cost $6. So I think that "imitation" batteries are quite durable as well, you just need to look if it's priced correctly and not cheaper than usual.

13. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Many repair men are scammers, They will add additional damages to your phone so you will comeback. That is another reason why you should buy phones with removable batteries so you won't have to deal with repair men. The amount of money you will save is a major factor.

14. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @Beast_Titan@Beast_Titan, That's true! I was scammed by 2 technicians telling me that they "formatted" my phone but they never did. The problem was that the charging port was dirty, I should have cleaned it 1st before going to them.

15. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    I can't think of a reason why non removable ones would be preferable ? maybe a lesser chance of physical damage occurring if you dropped the phone ? Anyway I definitely prefer if a phone has a removable battery, it's not a deal breaker by any means if it doesn't but since I use my phones a lot, if possible I want to be able to find a replacement if a battery dies.

16. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I have been a cellphone with removal battery. My common problem is slow charging and it couldn't last long. Well, I have choice but to replace it every 6 months. It's good if it would last for a year.

I am a regular subscriber of a particular known network. I have a 2-year locked subscription. It gives me a loyalty award at end of my subscription. I availed of it's Huawei P9 and its a battery is nonremovable. I have been using it for almost a year. It has a fast charging. So far I found no problem about it.

It's my first time to have s built-in battery cellphone. I love it. It works efficient for me.

17. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @Nakitakona@Nakitakona, Well if the non-removal battery works for you then that's good. Just wondering though, what do you do when your phone hangs? Do you just turn it off, since there is no battery to pull out?

18. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure what having a remove/non-removable battery has to do with a battery charging speed ? If battery life and charging speed is important to you, avoid both powerful smartphones ( these obviously drain the charge pretty fast ) and those with junk batteries.

@moneymania@moneymania I believe there are certain button combinations that can forcefully restart the phone if the power button is not working.

19. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @mbuzma@mbuzma, Yes I have heard of certain button combinations that can be used to reset the phone, although I haven't used that method yet, since my phone has a removable battery.

20. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    It would be disastrous if there weren't, you would have to wait for the battery charge to drain completely and then charge it back up again to be able to use the phone. Honestly I'm not even sure why phones with non removable batteries exist, except to force you to buy a new one when the battery goes dead.