Do you prefer shopping online or "real life"?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by dieselfit • Oct 27, 2013.

1. downloadsincomplete

downloadsincompleteMember

Threads:
    I am slowly started to purchase more and more online vs in store. It all started with shoes: there were a pair of Nike Air Jordans that I really wanted but I thought were too expensive in stores. I decided to call around to other stores to see if they were having any sales, so I had to Google their phone numbers. In doing that, I saw some sponsored ads for the exact same pair of Air Jordans. After a few clicks, I bought them about 30% off of what I would have gotten in stores. Of course, having tried the shoes on in store I knew the exact size and color I wanted. This is the "showrooming" effect that retail stores are having to combat. Once a customer has tried on a piece of clothing in store, they can just go get it online cheaper without having to worry about it being ill-fitting.

I started realizing things were cheaper online. In addition to that, some sites don't charge sales tax and they have free shipping. With items like shoes, there is a great deal of uniformity: it's the same, identical thing no matter what the store is. In fact, most retail clothing is like this. Often times there is a model or style number on the tag in a piece of clothing, so just Google that and you should find it. If you are in a small-town, rural area, there is going to be much more variety online than at your local mall. In addition to having more stores at your disposal, you also have access to last season's items and sold out items.

2. starla101

starla101New Member

Threads:
    I actually hate shopping online. For clothes, I definitely need to try on most items for fit. I'm really small and need to ensure that my clothes fit properly or I'll look a little crazy. I seriously need to try on everything I purchase. I feel like a rebel when I just pick up something off the racks and buy it without trying it on. (I only tend to do this when I'm shopping with friends and don't want them to wait for me while I try on outfits and dance around in the dressing room lol.) Even from the same store, the same size pants will fit differently. I only ever feel like shopping online when I desperately need something and don't feel like traveling to get it.

I can see the benefits of online shopping, but I'm kind of old school when it comes to technology and doing things on the web.

3. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what it is, if its an electronic device or something universal in that sense then I'd definitely prefer buying it online. I honestly don't really care about the "experience" of going out and getting something, I rather like waiting for the postman to deliver it and getting it and tearing the box open. Its like Christmas all over again.

4. radishes

radishesMember

Threads:
    I would only recommend shopping for clothes online to people who are very comfortable and certain with their sizes. I shop online because I used to work in a retail store so I know my waist, chest, inseam, everything. I've never had to return any clothing but, according to most people, it's a huge hassle to return clothes! The biggest tip for online shipping is watch for free shipping coupons and specials! Free shipping is awesome! I've never had to pay for shipping and I shop online at least twice a month. Just gotta keep an eye out!

5. Thrix

ThrixMember

Threads:
    In real life. I like to see everything with my eyes, make sure it's not fake (photoshopped for example), feel the material etc. And I always try the clothes I want to buy, to see if they fit me, and if I look good in them. The prices can be a little bit more expensive, but I handle that.
    But I buy other random stuff around the internet to make up for that haha!

6. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:

Have you ever bought anything online? I'm surprised that you would even say that you wouldn't shop online. I'm sure once you try shopping online, you'll probably do at least 20% of your purchases online. It's something that's worth the experience. Although I've gotten myself into a 5 grand debt from online shopping and spending in general, I've never ran into a trust issue with the seller. Everything was 100% perfect and as advertised. It is probably because I looked at their reputation and made sure I wasn't buying from a scammer. I can see why you wouldn't buy clothes online but everything else should be fine!

7. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I am with you. I would go to the store if I want to buy clothes because I can try them out myself. I also prefer buying electronics at the store because I like to look at them before I decide to buy.

8. yambfas

yambfasMember

Threads:
    I definitely have bought clothes online and I'm sure I will again in the future. But it's a little risky that they might not fit - and I'm notoriously lazy about sending clothes back. I tend to buy shirts more often than pants/dresses, because I think they're easier to fit.

9. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    The thing is when you buy clothes that don't fit and you keep the tags on them, I'm sure you can resell them for nearly the same price. There's a huge market for clothes that are bought online then sold around the block because those are never found in the same city.

10. masud12

masud12New Member

Threads:
    I feel comfortable to shop online. But some products are like that it can't shop online. I like it.

11. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    Shopping online is pretty easy especially if you feel comfortable so that's a good start. I believe all products can be purchased online. Most products are imported anyway so when something is bought online, it should be because it's a better deal or it's not available in the region. The shopping on the internet has changing everything forever! I'm glad there are ways to do it safely though!

12. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Shopping online is very convenient because you can do it from home or from your job and you get the items you bought delivered at an address of your convenience. On the other hand, in what regards clothing or food for example (unless is canned food), you can't really see the items up to the point were they are delivered to you and this might mean that sometimes you can buy something that is not exactly what you thought or that don't fit you and you will have more work and expenses returning the items.

13. zestytomato

zestytomatoNew Member

Threads:
    Shopping online is great, but only if you do your measurements correctly. You also have to buy from trusted sellers, and I tend to shy away from buying clothes on eBay/Craigslist because of this. Besides that, I love online shopping because there's a greater selection of stores to choose from, and you can compare prices a lot more easily. Also, no sales tax!

14. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    When I'm shopping online money just seems to be an arbitrary number on a screen, so I tend to impulse buy more, whereas in real life I seem more conservative with my spending. I prefer buying in the real world as I don't like the hassle of delivery delays although I certainly don't mind browsing eBay and Amazon.

15. marmunmrhundun

marmunmrhundunBanned

Threads:
    I prefer shopping online, for various reasons. I just love the deals you can get online, however I hate the shipping costs. I never really know how much I spend on shipping, because of the great deals I end up getting. I love online shopping, because you are almost sure to always find watch you need. If you can't find it on one site you are almost going to find it somewhere else. Rather than having to go store to store, you go site to site. Which one is easier?

16. amandak

amandakNew Member

Threads:
    I like to peruse online stores to get some ideas of trends and things I might like, but I always buy in store. Clothing is something that you have to be able to see and feel, and especially try on, to buy. There is nothing worse than ordering clothes online and when it arrives, finding it to be of terrible quality or the wrong size. And then it's so much of a hassle to return anything to an online store.

17. Dylansmom

DylansmomNew Member

Threads:
    I almost exclusively shop online. I love the convenience of it. I hate traffic and parking where I live so online is just easier for me.

18. thriftymama

thriftymamaNew Member

Threads:
    If I could I would buy everything online, the thought of going clothes shopping or doing the grocery shop fills me with dread. I tend to buy all my electronics/mobile/dvd/games etc online as at the buying stage it seems so much easier, you do get the occasional hassle/expense of returning items back but the savings you make outway this. However, I still prefer to face the dreaded grocery shop in person as I like to see first hand what I'm getting for my money. The problem I find with this is I always seem to get attracted to the store offers and spend more than I intended. I guess I'm just not a natural born shopper! :(

19. Mafdet

MafdetMember

Threads:
    I like shopping online but I've had some bad experience lately with some apparently fake websites so i'm about to reconsider my options. I agree with you on the buying clothes part. I also like to try on the clothes before I buy them. However, i found that even though it seems to me at first that something looks good on me, i tend to see things differently once I get home. So I went to shopping for clothes online and even shoes. While browsing the websites I can spend as many time as I want looking at a product, I don't have to feel bad about roaming stores for hours and leaving empty handed. And I don't feel compelled to buy something just because I landed on that particular site. i know I can wait until I have money ready.

20. Cadence

CadenceMember

Threads:
    I often buy things online, mostly records and books. I never buy clothes or shoes online because I want to try it on before I buy it and I don't care much for the hassle of returning and changing the size etc. Although exceptions can be made if I for example have tried the object in a store and then buy it from the store's website instead. Or if I'm buying a pair of shoes from a brand I know and have used before and already know which size I need.