Do you prefer the book or movie version?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by lrd913 • Oct 5, 2014.

1. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh no. I love a good book. Who doesn't love to read and go into another world, created from imagery in your own head. Movies kind of give you everything. In books the author is supposed to show you, as opposed to telling you details. A movie kind of tells you everything visually, and there isn't much space for imagination, unless the movie is done really well. There is a thin line.

2. Evelyn Freshsmith

Evelyn FreshsmithMember

Threads:
    My words are here. Any day I'd prefer books over movies. Your imagination is perfect while reading the book while you get disappointed when watching the movie based on that book and then wish I should have been the director. ;)

3. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I always prefer the book version rather than the movie version. In book the story will be told in depth and in much better expressive manner. I think it is very important that a person understands the story very well to know it thoroughly. I enjoy understanding and evaluating the story and each and every person of the book which cannot be done in the movie. It does not bother me to spend a large amount of time in front of the book as I have loads of time.

4. DreekLass

Threads:
    Also - I have found - the book is nine times out of ten going to be a lot longer than the movie. Movies are usually only an hour and twenty minutes. Maybe an hour and forty minutes if that. Or sometimes book to movie adaptations are longer to suit the book, such as the Harry Potter series. But mostly the movie just isn't able to cover what the book was able to cover within one's head.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I understand that there are some parts where books move a bit slow.. I understand that some of that has to be cut out of the movies to fit the 2 hours (or so) time constraint. Still, they sometimes take too much out. I also don't like when they take liberties and add in things that clearly weren't in the book.

6. DreekLass

Threads:
    I can totally understand your point. With certain stories it varies for me. In one story the movie will suffer to have a lot of what was in the book taken out. But then there are certain stories that that works for. I think it depends on the story. But on the other hand you are never going to please everyone.

7. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is not a big question for me because I don't like novels or fantasy books, I prefer more practical ones. On the other hand, I do love a great action or fantasy movie, so for sure that I prefer movies as a form of entertaining, not as a source of information.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I preferred the movie/mini-series, Stephen King's Rose Red, over the book, My Life at Rose Red: The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer. The movie was just better to me. It had excitement, many plot twists, and Rose Red itself had a haunting beauty to it. I prefer the story of the movie as well, how it took place in "modern day", and the psychics of different types coming from different places to go to Rose Red. The book took place in the past, and was a fictional diary. I didn't feel as drawn to it.

#28Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  9. TheKid

TheKidNew Member

Threads:
    Since I love reading I obviously prefer reading the book. I prefer the book mostly because of all the extra detail that the movie doesn't include. Another good reason as to why I prefer to read the book is because when I read the book, I am "in charge" of the characters, how they look and the tone of their voices.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have not read any novel for many years now, so I would prefer the 2 hours or so that I will get to spend watching movies, because I can immediately find out the story as compared to spending weeks or months reading. I used to love reading before, but now I prefer to just surf or watch movies than read. I know the book has more details, but I'm content with what I watch on film.

11. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    In most instances I prefer the book version rather than the movie version. There is just more room to expand and elaborate. A lot more room for details and such. Movies are a lot more condensed so a lot of details have to be left out and that really hurts the quality of the product in my opinion.

12. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I really don't have that plenty of time to grab a book and spent an overnight with it. It would last a month to me because there are a lot more things that I have to attend to, before I could freely set in myself to entertainment. And as I have said, reading a book consumes me time more than a movie does, so I prefer to go for a movie since at this time, I am only after for quick entertainment, and not yet ready to be involved deeply to any sorts of stories and mental conversation a book invites to its reader. I can't pay attention and time for a book at this time like I used to and like I could see myself doing in the future. Not now.