Do you prefer the oldies or the new ones?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by andrew320 • Nov 28, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I think I see three motion pictures a year in the theatre. Every weekend, my fiancee and I watch films from the 1920s all the way to the 1960s. We just absolutely adore them and even the bad ones are enjoyable to watch. Nothing compares to the Golden Age of Hollywood and even foreign films were extraordinary, especially Bergman, Truffaut and Fellini.

Do you prefer the classics or the new garbage they produce nowadays?

2. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Well, that's not really unbiased :p

In my opinion, the best era for movies happened between 1990 and 2008. Most of my favorites movies belong to that era. I could say I love movies from the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s and pretend smartness, but the truth is, I don't. I find most old movies boring and with terrible production and continuity problems. I'm not saying they're all bad, but the ones I've watched, I definitely wouldn't watch again.

I do like movies from the 70s forward. There are classics like A Clockwork Orange, The Shining or Dirty Harry that are really good.

And, by the way, not every movie that's coming out now is garbage. Movies are part of art and art is subjective. Still, there are some great recent movies, like The Dark Knight Rises (although I prefer Batman: The Dark Knight), Source Code, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, etc.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a big fan of old movies. I especially like black and white movies. It pains me when black and white movies are colorized. I am a huge fan of Hitchcock movies even the lesser known ones like I, Confess, Shadow of a Doubt, and Suspicion. I recently found a copy of Gaslight which was Angela Landsbury very first movie. She was only 18 years old. I could on and on.

4. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I'm also a fan of old movies especially The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile although there are still new movies that manage to capture my attention such as Pirates of The Carribean. That's why I can say that I'm a fan of both.

5. moozentertainment

moozentertainmentNew Member

Threads:
    This world is growing very fast. in the movie also directory implementing new technology. and at the same time they are releasing believed us only :) . mine self 200% like new technology means new only.

6. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    Wow! I just want to say that generalizing things are always not good. Not all films today are garbage and you should know that I Guess. There are quality films being produced today that the older generation didn't even though of doing before. If I were to choose of coarse I would prefer newer films even in my sleep.

7. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I must say that I prefer the 'new garbage' being made today. I appreciate movies with great special effects etc...so today's technology makes that possible. So, I would say that i am a fan of the modern cinema for sure. There are some great special golden oldies but i still choose the new stuff!

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't understand this at all. There are no links in this post, so you're probably not spamming.

9. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you refer to the black and white films of the past when you say oldies... I would have to go with the new ones. The new movies are much more colorful and much more alive. I find old movies somewhat cheesy.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I definitely prefer the modern movies of today as compared to the dull and inferior graphics of yesterday's movies. Not all of today's movies are "trash", in fact there are a lot of good movies that have been released in todays modern era, not to mention they have very realistic special effects too. Definitely a far cry and a huge improvement from the movies of yesteryear.

11. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Very true! I believe a good movie doesn't just require a good idea or writing. It needs good actors, a good production, good after-production effects, etc.

12. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not fond of old films. I can see why it appeals to other people but I can never get into it. I suppose I have never given an old film a chance. My dad likes watching old films from the golden era every Sunday afternoon. He usually falls asleep half way through, though.

13. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on how old. My favorite period of time for movies would be from the late 60's through the late 80's. I do not watch old movies from the 20's, 30's or 40's ever....except for The Wizard of Oz. However, I never watch any new releases either (except for the new Indiana Jones movie). I just basically stay with my favorite era.

14. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    This expresses my feelings pretty accurately! I think that some people have a tendency to think 'classic' = somehow inherently better than anything new, and that's not always the case. My favorite movies are from the 80s on. There are some newer films that are excellent but there have been a lot of disappointments lately, too.

15. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I like a mix of them. I don't like a lot of the current stuff, but to be honest, when I go back and watch some of the oldies, I realize how crappy some of those are, too. It's really hit or miss, so I like to keep my options open.

16. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that these days they don't put as much effort into a movie anymore so it's isn't that good. Like i haven't seen a good horror movie in forever the last one i saw that actually was excited and really scared me to where i jumped and screamed was Amnityville horror and it's been awhile since that one came out.

17. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    This is basically what I was going to say myself! Some old movies are glorious, some suck. The same can be said for newer ones. I don't go to the movie theatre very often, but my personal movie collection is a mixture of black and white and color. It just depends on the movie!

18. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I absolutely love both. Some of my all time favorite films are Some Like it Hot, Casablanca, My Fair Lady, etc. However, I also equally love movies from the past 10 or 20 years, including Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Pulp Fiction, American Beauty, etc. They still produce some pretty amazing films currently though, so I don't agree with it all being garbage now days.

19. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some of the new movies are very good with new technology making the graphics awesome. The old stories that have been reworked with the new technology are the best for me. I am looking forward to seeing "The Hobbit" it is a old movie with new technology.

20. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to prefer older films. I use to love to watch the cable channel Turner Classic Movies till my cable provider took it away from their basic subscribers. I do admit though that I wasn't too fond of silent films, I watched very few of these. That's not to say that I don't like some of the more modern films that have been made. Some of these were done quite well as well. For example The Lord of The Rings Trilogy, very well done, and up to the standards of the film industry back in the day where story was as important as the effects around it. There are other modern films that I could also name that live up to these standards, but I think you get the idea, not all modern films are all about the special effects but also about giving a good quality story to the movie going public.