Do you prefer the oldies or the new ones?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by andrew320 • Nov 28, 2012.

1. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I like some new movies that have came out but not many I also like to watch more of the old movies

2. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    It seems like we hit a stagnation point where every movie is the same thing as the last one, only with more explosions. That or we are remaking old movies... to have more explosions.
    So yeah, maybe we spent all our creativity in all those golden years, and now we have to dig for the same and adapt them to our times.

Not that i don't like explosions from time to time, but come on, next time we will be putting explosions in the middle of the conversations!

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I tend to prefer older films, although I enjoy modern ones with a good cast and storyline. For example, I really enjoyed The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. It has a stellar cast, and a storyline that is both moving and funny. Another favourite is Brassed Off, which is about 15 years old. I tend to look at the cast before deciding if I'm likely to enjoy a film, rather than the date of production.

4. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I love classic films! I watched a couple earlier today with Cary Grant and Doris Day. Contemporary film has its value, but there's a reason we consider the classics to be classic. Aside from the entertainment value, early films are also a good glimpse into history and pop culture.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    New garbage lol! I don't really prefer one over the other. It really depends on the acting and the writing etc. Some older movies (older than the Green Mile and Shaw Shank Redemption, holy cow.. those are "old"??? lol) can blow newer ones out of the water. Many of the heavily computerized movies have lots to look at but crummy writing. I think it's overdone these days. I understand making things look realistic and that's awesome.. but it gets distracting sometimes too and then I start seeing it as just a money grab and it deflates the experience for me. Of course you're going to get lots of different answers though.. it depends on when we grew up. Obviously someone born in the age of technology might not appreciate what Hollywood used to be and some that were born in the Golden Age will notice what a freak show circus act they make out of movies these days. It's not about the same thing anymore.. but all years have their classics :)

6. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Tch. I hate this sort of polarization, because I like things due to quality rather than timestamp. There are some really great old films - and they are great because of their actors, of their stories, of the fact they used actual reality versus computer graphics. There are some rather more recent films that are really great because they aren't mainstream or they are geniunely funny or because the actors are fantastic or because they speak to cultural experiences. There are some great films coming up because there are people in the business who want to make something worthwhile that doesn't just depend on special effects and big names. So basically I like movies across the spectrum be it Metropholis or Dr. Strangelove or Vanilla Sky or Obilvion.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I actually prefer the new garbage, but not the ones that seem like they are puking CGI all over the place. There came a time when there was a good balance between traditional and CGI effects and I think I prefer those the most. I like modern movies because they are a lot faster and don't depend too much on dialogue, not to mention they are able to do much more and travel to farther places using the technology we have now.

8. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    For me, nothing beats the classics. Most films today are even inspired by those old movies. I will always love Breakfast at Tiffany's. That is one of the oldies that will never get old for my taste.

9. S.L.Diamond

S.L.DiamondNew Member

Threads:
    I do love the new movies coming out these days, but I have to say I do miss the older movies like, Daylight, The Long Kiss Goodnight, Deep Blue Sea and The Poseidon Adventure. They don't seem to be making original movies like that anymore. These days the theatres are usually filled will movie remakes and sequels -not that I dislike them all, but there don't seem to be many new ideas coming out that often.