Do you prefer to buy food in bulk?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by True2marie • May 18, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Do you always buy your food in bulk? I do, in general, because the larger the quantity the less amount you pay per portion. Only for foods I am trying for the first time do I purchase in smaller quantities.

2. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    No I have found that at club stores such as BJs or Sam's Club buying food in bulk isn't always the best deal and I can do better at the grocery store when there is a sale. In an attempt to save money I am also trying to only buy what I need so I do not buy in bulk at all, unless a case of water counts.

3. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    It's really tough to buy food in bulk and keep said food reasonably 'fresh' for as long as possible. I don't mind buying detergent, TP, paper towels, etc in bulk because I know they will be used and I know there is no need to be concerned about how long I have had them.

4. sawan20

sawan20Banned

Threads:
    Yes, I prefer to buy foods in a bulk because this is the best way to save the money and buy more foods.

5. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I buy some foods in bulk. It depends. In many cases, I can get better deals on things by buying them with coupons. But, I will then buy lots of packages of those things when they're on sale and I have a great coupon, which I suppose is the equivalent of buying in bulk. If you can't get any coupon deals or whatever, it's generally best to buy in bulk rather than not. It's still critical to compare prices by unit to make sure that you're getting a good deal.

6. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I think this just depends on what it is I am buying. I don't mind buying food in tins in bulk but fresh food I never buy in bulk because there is only three of us and I hate wasting food. If I find dried food that interests me I will also buy that in bulk.

7. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, I agree -- you can't buy fresh food in bulk if you have a smaller family. Unfortunately, I don't buy as much fresh produce as I would necessarily like because there are only two of us in the house. I have thrown away a lot of fresh fruits and veggies, and also dairy and such, even though I hated it. So now, I don't buy as much, and sometimes we don't have as much as I would like. It's hard to find a happy medium there.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    For certain types of food or ingredients I try to buy the larger containers because those provide the most value for money. If the item is perishable then I'd just buy the right amount unless I need a large size to fill a need like cooking for a party. Items I like to buy in bulk are things like canned goods when they are on promo, or smaller items like ketchup and mayonnaise because as far as I know those don't spoil as long as they are stored properly and buying them bit by bit regularly just proves to be too much effort and a lot more costly.

9. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    There are certain things that I would buy in bulk such as dry cereal, pastas, or can goods. Generally, if you can catch a lot of these things on a good sale with some coupons. You can come out pretty good compared to those who don't.

10. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Its more of a mixture of the two for me - as although I'll happily buy non-perishable staples that are used regularly - like rice, pasta, dried beans, peas, lentils, chickpeas, various flours, oats, honey and certain canned goods in bulk - as not only do I know I will use them but they're generally more economical bought that way and even more so when on special offer - for everything else and particularly perishable items I find it way more cost effective to buy smaller quantities of what is actually needed - as that way I know everything will get used and nothing will go to waste.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If the food can be stored without being frozen, I can buy in bulk. I always buy potatoes and rice in bulk.

I know it's always advisable to buy food when it's on sale freeze and save some money but I hate the bland taste of food that has been frozen. That's why although it will cost slightly more in the long run, I'd rather buy "fresh."

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind getting a few non-perishables in bulk. I actually go to a wholesalers and get those, as well as things like toilet rolls, cleaning materials and toiletries. I find it saves us so much money over the next few months, so that our weekly shopping doesn't cost too much.

13. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy certain things in bulk when they are on offer at one of the supermarkets. Athough I try and save as much money as I can on shopping, I am brand loyal to a few items, such as toothpaste, coffee and ketchup. So when the brands I like go on sale, I'll always buy a few at once.

14. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I like to buy nonperishable items in bulk. I'll buy certain items like toilet paper, detergent, paper towels, and shampoo in large quantities. I find you can only buy in bulk for these items at Costco whether you want it or not you get 40 rolls of toilet paper at Costco. I love the savings you can get buying in bulk but I find storing all the products a bit of a bother. You can only pack so many rolls of TP into a bathroom cupboard. What do other people do with all that toilet paper, paper towels etc?

15. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Food in bulk doesn't work for our family of 2. I can understand buying in bulk for a large family so you can save and have enough for everyone. For small families like mine I buy on sale, watch in-store specials or shop around to check prices and get the cheapest and nutritional for our family for Hawaii has the highest cost of living in America (feels like the world).

16. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This reminds me of my sister's fridge. They have 2 refrigerators side by side in their kitchen. The other week, I opened one and saw the freezer overflowing with frozen meat. I checked the other fridge and the scene is the same. She said that she buys foodstuff in bulk because of the discount. Buying 2 kilos of beef saves you money likewise with pork and chicken. So now I know why their fridge is packed like that. For us, we always buy only what we would cook today and go to the market again tomorrow.

17. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I will always buy food in bulk whenever I can, because I know that it is the best way to get a deal that you will be happy with. I buy things like pasta, rice and noodles in advance as I know that this is the best way of getting them as cheaply as possible. Of course, there are some things that you can't buy so far in advance because they would spoil before you got the chance to eat them, but there are many things that it could work for.

18. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    I always have a list of groceries, food and toiletries to buy when going to the supermarket and usually buy in bulk those things that I know will be used frequently and have a tendency to run out fast. For food, I stock in bulk canned goods, frozen products and those with preservatives since they expire for a long time and I will be sure that they will spoil for a long time, avoiding any food wastage. For fresh foods, I only buy a certain amount that is good for one week, unlike other food products that I stock for about a month. For toiletries, I buy in bulk since they run out quickly since we have five people living in the house and it is also convenient to not go back to the store again. But all of this also depends on our budget, especially when times that we are low on cash, then we do not buy in bulk, even though it saves money in the long run.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I do, it's better to buy in bulk or in packs because you get to save money, although if I think I won't be able to consume the entire thing before it expires then I will just buy food separately even if it costs more.

20. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the items but I usually buy foods in bulk too. I find that you can easily freeze meat if you are unable to cook it all at one time.
    However, I notice a lot of times when I buy produce in bulk it tends to go bad. I've been starting to buy produce in smaller quantities but other then that I mostly buy everything in bulk.