Do You Prefer To Buy Pets Or Adopt Them?

Discussion in Pets started by akiii123 • Feb 2, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I've never bought an animal as my pet. Not once. Not because I feel like I'm doing something important by not doing so but because there's really no need to. Shelters are overloaded. It's not difficult to get a loving pet so there's really no need to complicate things by paying for one.

2. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I like the IDEA of adopting a pet and we got our current dog from craigslist BUT often adoption means some sacrifices. For instance, our dog was poorly socialized and needed extensive retraining and conditioning to be mostly confident in many situations. At first, just going on a walk around the block terrified him so much that he wouldn't even take a GOOD treat, like cooked chicken.

Also, I'm completely stunned and annoyed by many of the rescue organizations I've contacted. Almost all of them require long applications and vet reference checks and proof of either home ownership or that your landlord allows pets. Sometimes they want to visit your home or require specific things like a fenced yard for all dogs (though not all dogs need a fenced yard with enough walking). I've given up on many of them because I can pick up a kitten or puppy from a backyard breeder, with very few questions asked, and the same amount of money that the rescue charges.

3. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I also got my puppy on Craiglist after attending many adoption dates! Not only they cost pretty the same amount of money, but the process of the adoption, like you said, was a long wait, tedious, and such a bad headache. It is a hassle for sure but I understand why they would do that. I only paid half ($75)of what the previous owner of my dog wanted as I explained to her I need to get him a cage, leash, collar, food bowls, and other things. She wanted him to have a good home, and she agreed.

4. Shannon Parris

Shannon ParrisNew Member

Threads:
    I work in animal rescue and I adopt all of mine. There are so many amazing ones sitting in the shelter waiting for a great home. With patience I am sure almost everyone can find one that is perfect for them.