Do You Prefer To Exercise Solo Or With A Companion?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by sidney • Dec 11, 2013.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm just wondering which do you prefer, because exercising solo assures you that you don't get distracted, although it can be lonely. While working out with friends assures that you won't get bored, but when you guys chat, it can turn your exercise session into a hangout session! So which do you prefer, exercising solo or with a companion? As for me I'd rather go solo.

2. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to exercise solo. I get more done this way. And I find it easier to focus on the areas that need my attention. Also, because you are less distracted, you'll probably have less mishaps. But I have to admit, exercising with a friend can be a lot more fun. They help the time pass by quickly.

3. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    When I go to the gym I prefer to workout on my own. I like to put in my headphones, put on my favourite songs and just get focused in my own zone. In my case, I feel I work out better and get better results doing it this way.

When I sue to go with a friend we ended up spending a lot of time chatting rather than working out!

4. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to exercise alone at the stage I'm currently in. It helps me to meditate, think, self-improve and focus on me for right now. Once I meet my personal goal, then I'll consider hiring a trainer or going with another person.

5. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If i'm working out at home than I like working out by myself. But if i'm at the gym I don't like going alone I like to have some one with me like a workout buddy I don't know why just the way I am there are just certain things and places I won't do or go alone.

6. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to exercise with a companion. I like to have a partner, because it will make it easier to get things done and it will help you even more because it will keep you motivated as well.

7. wwalford

wwalfordNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer working out with someone. You push yourself a bit more and also you have someone to spot for you. You also have someone that then is expecting you to pitch up at gym in the morning so you kind of need to get out of bed. So for me with someone else definitely.

8. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I do like to workout with a companion once in a while, but for practical results I prefer doing on my own, as then I can pace myself to what suits me. I can also change routine as I feel. I don't workout frequently enough to have a regular plan anyway.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah it can be more fun, time seems to pass by quickly I agree, but at the end of the workout, we didn't accomplish what we set out to do! I think if your friend is not talkative then it's ok to bring him or her along when you workout.

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer exercising alone. I've never been into working out at in the gym or with friends. Maybe it's because I had this paunch that I just couldn't lose. Anyway, whether it's was that self-consciousness or something, I've never felt inclined to exercise with anyone, except my wife who's much fatter than me.

11. whatupswags

whatupswagsMember

Threads:
    While I do enjoy working out by myself, I don't typically get as good of a workout. On the flip side, I don't like working out with just one other person though, either. I prefer working out in a team sports setting, with a coach who is supervising and deciding the workouts for us. I have always had more results from those workouts than the ones I do for myself - even though I make good workouts, they just end up being too easy! So I vote for a team around me while I'm working out to get the best results.

12. broknkyboard

broknkyboardMember

Threads:
    When I'm at the gym I prefer to work out solo, but I like the company whenever I'm doing any kind of cardio exercise (mainly running, sometimes swimming). When you're running for long distances any distraction is welcome.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ah that kind of setting.. Well if you did belong to a varsity team or you are currently into sports then that is more likely to happen. I agree that a coach can definitely motivate a person to make the most out of their training as compared to "regular" workout buddies.

14. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to exercise on my own. The main reason is that i tend to find that i am a bit of a push over and so when people challenge me to do more than necessary, i go for it and in the end i hurt myself. So the overall result is that i exercise less and less because i see no reason or point to keep going at it over and over and so i found that it was not beneficial for me to exercise with others.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like exercising on my own. It's a little difficult for me to carry a conversation while I'm sweating and panting, and I prefer to just be more focused in general. I usually just put on some headphones and go at it and the time flies right on by so I don't have much complaints about my process. It does get a little bit boring every now and again, however, but having to worry about a companion's comfort and entertainment isn't an equal enough trade off for me to want to invite someone along.

16. writeletters

writelettersMember

Threads:
    I prefer going solo because there are no distractions. I've tried exercising with a companion and it does not work out! There's a lack of motivation when exercising with another person and it's just so much easier to keep your goals in mind of it's just you.

17. evelynchuter

evelynchuterNew Member

Threads:
    I like to exercise by myself. Then afterward I go to my Fit Fab and Fun Group and report to my coach and the rest of the group that exercises are done. And then we all discuss, laugh, and cut up.

18. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    I as well love going by myself. I can play my music, do my own thing without explaining or chatting in between exercises. I've tried going with a friend, but honestly I've never had a friend that was as dedicated as I was to exercise. So it ended up being more chatting than working. This I had a problem with. I would actually tell my friends that I don't want to talk so if you need anything tell me now before we start or just don't talk too much. I'm straight forward with this because I don't want to ruin my workout that I came for.

19. DomDom

DomDomNew Member

Threads:
    I totally prefer going solo. I put on my mp3 earbuds and blast away. I prefer it because i like to approach the workout seriously, if I have someone with me its just turns to alot of talking and little exercising. The best way to train for me is have a full workout scheduled (with the exact amount of minutes between exercises) and use a timer while resting. Another person just slows me down :D.

Unless you have a partner who is motivated as much as you are! :)

20. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I like to exercise solo, I tried once with my companion and he complained the whole time, lol I was like please just go to another area and exercise. It kinda of takes away from me concentrating on what I'm doing, I take my headphone set but I don't like to be mannered and not talk to him. So I would prefer solo when I can