Do you prefer to shop with cash or credit?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by True2marie • Dec 16, 2013.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I have always heard it's better to shop with cash. This way, you can tell when your money is dwindling away and stop before you blow your budget. However, in the digital world we live in, it's real easy just to carry a credit card around and pay with plastic.

So, which do you prefer? Cash? Credit?

4113102-713396-cash-credit-direction-road-sign.

2. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I never had a card in my entire life. I bring cash and pay with cash wherever I go. If it involves a huge sum of money, I'll either pay the deposit and pay the rest after I've received the thing or use a cheque.

3. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Recently I've been using my credit card more so that I can build a good credit rating and plus I can earn points. I know some people who can't control their spendings with their credit cards and it's quite sad to see some of my friends in that predicament. Sometimes I can't understand why they can't control themselves, I don't think it's as hard as they make it seem.

4. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    I have never owned or used a credit card, but I have owned debit cards. I have owned a debit card for a few years now, and I use my card instead of cash. Before I had a debit card, I would use cash only, but I don't like carrying a bunch of cash around and I could never keep my money all in one place. It would always be scattered around my home, especially the change. Using a debit card is so much more convenient for me. I don't over-spend because I check my bank account constantly to be sure of how much I have to spend and I don't go over my limit.

5. DealHunter1

DealHunter1Member

Threads:
    I use a little of both depending on what all I need and the prices. It's easier to use the card and keep in a zipped pocket on me in case someone was to try and take or steal from me which is common in stores around the holidays. For the most part I use cash because it's easier for me to keep up with my purchases and I'd never want to mess up my good credit by overdoing it. I've used a debit card as well. I think it all just depends on the situation and what's easiest for the person and their life.

LOVE & DEAL,
    DH:cool:

6. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I usually shop with cash because I can limit myself from overspending, which seems to help me quite a lot. I haven't shopped with credit for a long time, which I think the reason I don't prefer using it because it's harder for me to keep track of how much I have spent. On the other hand, shopping with cash can help me to keep track of my spending budget.

7. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    I only use credit card if I don't have cash at the moment and I really need the item asap. I always try to use cash to pay because its really a big savings. I've learned from experience that
    using invisible money is really a hard hit on the budget especially when the bill arrives. Despite all my talking against credit card, I must say there were also times that it has saved my ass.

8. thriftyme

thriftymeMember

Threads:
    I don't carry much cash around typically so I use a debit card instead. I have used credit cards for large purchases so I can take a few months to pay off the balance. I recently noticed that many shops are offering lay-a-way programs (where the store keeps the item until you have paid it off, fyi) which I haven't seen since the 70's! That's another good way to buy high ticket items over a period of time. In general, I don't like paying interest if I can avoid it so, I'm not a fan of using credit cards for small purchases.

9. himalipatel

himalipatelMember

Threads:
    i prefer to do shopping with cash only. when i am going for shopping i keep cash with me and doing all shopping with cash.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never owned a credit card yet, and probably never will, because having a credit card can give me a false sense of security, and I might end up in debt. I currently only have a debit card right now, and I'm quite content with it, since I get to spend it with the cash that I actually have instead of using a credit card where you spend cash that you don't have.

11. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    Mine is a combination of the two. I shop with a credit card so i can earn cash back on my purchases. However, i only spend what i have available in cash, then turn around and pay off the balance.

12. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    I would love to shop with my credit card...Carrying Cash in my pocket it hassle me a lot.

13. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Every week I withdraw the money I intend to spend from and spend it only on things I need. I never get tempted to buy anything else that I want because if I do I'd be forced to withdraw some more money from my account and as that means a trip into town it can be very incovenient and always try to avoid it.

By the way, I always buy milk, eggs and vegetables from my neighbors [they are farmers] and they don't accept credit or debit cards :)

14. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As I don't have a credit card and never have had one - mainly because I've always much preferred to live well within my means and never borrow money - but also because - I don't consider them to be a very cost effective means of purchasing anything - particularly as - buying on credit - unless the debt can be paid off immediately - generally means that you land up paying way over the odds for goods - than you would have done had you paid cash - due to the extortionate interest rates.

I much prefer - apart from from online purchases for which I always use PayPal - to use my debit card for everything I need to buy rather than use cash - for the simple reason - that not only is it - easier, much safer and the more accepted form of payment where I live - due to the fact that theft, muggings and burglaries are an increasingly common occurrence here - but more importantly - as all transactions go through my bank account and are recorded - its an extremely easy way of monitoring expenditure.

15. Lemonjelly

LemonjellyNew Member

Threads:
    Cash

16. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I always used to pay with cash when I did my shopping however my mom taught me that sometimes it's better to use my credit card because my credit card company offers points in exchange for using their card when you make purchases. What I did is that I called the local branch and asked them to waive my annual fee, they granted my request and I started using my card in order to acquire points. I'm still waiting to see if I can exchange my points for better rewards, but using my card has been a great experience for me so far.

17. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was shortchanged twice already and I hate to think that there are cashiers still doing that. When credit cards came into fashion, I always pay using my card instead of cash so that shortchanging is avoided. In fact, there in the news the other day was the bill-switching where the 100 bill is interchanged with the 1,000 bill. Another neat scam racket.

18. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer cash just because it enables me to buy only what I need. With credit cards, there is that possibility to buy more than what is necessary just because it's easy and convenient. But for me, having debt is not my thing. I'd rather buy things with my money than be in debt with a company or even another person. That's just me and I know some people prefer credit cards, and that's their choice.

19. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have actually started using debit cards since December 2015. My credit cards have gone a bit out of control last year and as soon as I got some more end of year money from work I started paying by debit to reduce my credit card bills.
    I don't like paying cash because I hate waiting and counting for change, and I'm also weary of walking around with a bunch of cash. But I also don't like credit anymore. So debit cards are my new best friends!

20. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I usually pay with plastic, however I would prefer to go to a cash system. Not only would a cash system provide a mechanism savings, it also prevent credit card theft and the potential for someone to steal your information. When I have cash, I will spend it rather than using my card. Also, there are particular places where I try to avoid using my card altogether.