Do You Prefer Walking Around With Cash Or Card?

Discussion in Personal Finance started by mildredtabitha • Sep 30, 2017.

1. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    I think having cash in hand is good because you wouldn't have to visit a bank first before you can purchase for something. Carrying around a card only is also convenient because it is small and you won't have to be cautious or worry about getting robbed when walking around the streets.

I prefer carrying both. Just some little cash for the day and my card is enough for me. What do you prefer?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Over here, it is not safe to bring plenty of cash when going shopping because you can lose your money by several means. We prefer credit card since it is not easy to use by another person. There are many cases of shoppers losing money to snatchers or scammers.

3. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I carry both too although I tend to use my card more than cash. I have dropped cash a few times but never lost my card so I guess I feel safer. I have a debit card and if anyone wanted to use it at a cash machine they would need my pin number which is not written down anywhere.

4. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    I like to carry both, cash and card with me but I'd rather have cash at hand since not all local establishments accepts credit card payment and carrying an ATM card is a little inconvenient since you have to find an available machine that will accept your card. You just have to be a little careful while carrying cash especially in crowded places because of pick pockets and all.

5. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I usually just carry my debit card since I don't really have cash to carry around. I don't mind carrying a little bit of cash but I wouldn't want to carry around a large amount of cash if I was going to make a large purchase. It just makes it easier to just carry my card. I don't have to keep track of how much cash I have and whether I have lost any or not.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer to carry small amounts of cash for obvious reasons such as people trying to steal it. In some places I prefer to use a card only because I know there are people watching who has cash and where they put it. I carry change to pay for small things and try not to use notes unless I have to. It's sad that we think like this, but you have to watch your back with so many people around who are out to steal.

7. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I try to keep low cash and hold the card into the pocket. That way I won't have any issues with the mugging and others. I have had those issues in the past and for the time being. And I avoided that by holding the card in the wallet. You can see that those type of the cards are not worth the wait in such cases as well. I guess if you choose to go with the cards then your transactions should be from POS points. So they don't affect you much.

8. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    If I'm staying in a developed country, I would like to move around with a card instead of going around with cash. I think using card puts us at a low risk than when we decide to go around with cash. It is just a totally different scenario altogether. So, I will prefer the card for reasons of safety

9. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    Personally, I prefer having both because it's more of being on the advantage side than just having one, either cash or credit card. Over here in Nigeria, you can't really depend on the banks to have service for you to carry out your transaction in a day without experiencing one network error or out of service.

So therefore, in order not to get embarrassed for not being able to pay for the goods that you selected to buy as a result of banks network failure in making use of the credit card and POS to pay, it's wise to go with cash too should credit card fail.

10. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer the card for the convenience of making the payments and also because the things here in my country are very dangerous. So, cash it's not an option.

11. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you. It is sad that we have to walk around watching our backs in fear of being robbed. That is how we survive in this new generation. We earn but can't spend it freely because losing money is easier than getting it.

12. Rock1987

Rock1987Member

Threads:
    Carrying large amounts of cash is not a safe option. In some lonely places at night it might become a nightmare. I like to carry both cash (small amount) and card. For some small payments, I use cash. If I carry large amounts of cash, then I will be worried until I reach home. Robberies are happening now and then so carrying large amounts of cash is a big "no" for me.

13. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I keep all options open depending on where I am. I use cash for smaller things or in small stores but use credit/debit card according to situation. However, risk is associated with all kind of money including plastic money. I have recently experienced the situation when I lost my wallet and had to block all my cards including travel card (that I use while traveling in buses, trains or ferry).

14. Kiama

KiamaMember

Threads:
    I think it is advisable to carry less cash and a card. This is because with more cash you are more likely to spend unnecessarily but with little cash you can cut on spending and go to the bank only when you need something important.

15. ACEP

ACEPMember

Threads:
    If you want to save more then use Cash on hand. The bills that we cannot pay cash with, are paid directly from our checking account through a bank program. There is a time to use debit, but we prefer cash. Debit is a million times better than creditbecause it's your actual money (do not include overdraft protection).

16. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Before I used to bring cash with me for I never had any atm card. Now I prefer to bring along with me the card for it is too convenient to use it anytime and anywhere. Nevertheless I still bring cash with me. In case, I am running out of the money I need. Now it's time for me to use my card.

17. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's sad that if you have a nice handbag you are lore likely to get targeted or if you are seen with an expensive phone as the assumption is that you have money. I've switched to using plain looking and functional shopper totes rather than my designer bags if I am walking in any streets mainly because I have heard of people being mugged because of the bag they use. The risk of being harmed is not worth it, but these days you do need to take responsibility for yourself. While we shouldn't feel that way, it's better safe than sorry. I've had a Mulberry stolen in a club and they took my cash and phones, fortunately there wasn't much cash, but they stole my Fendi makeup bag. Sometimes I despair of human nature.

18. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I always prefer to have cash on me, it doesn't matter if I leave to a high distance or I am just going to the market near my house. I do not like to use my card, I feel better if I can manage my money when I buy stuff or even pay my bills, I don't know why but I fell more secure in this way!

19. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    If possible, I always prefer to carry a credit card as I find it more convenient and I don't need to carry lots of cash, especially coins with me after receiving the change. But here, there are still many places that do not accept credit card. Even in shopping mall, there are still some shops do not accept credit cards, or even if some do, they require minimum amount of transaction, so we still have to carry cash with us.

20. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to carry both cash and card, because of safety, ease of use and for the just in case you want to treat yourself at a Baskin Robbins Ice Cream parlor at the spur of the moment so you got to have cash for it. I like the idea of having both so you'll have enough for everything you want for the day with safety. Sometimes you'll see something you've been searching for at a bargain price, too good to pass up, so I like both on me at all times.