Do you put aside money each month?

Discussion in Savings & Investments Plans started by alinass • Apr 18, 2012.

1. alinass

alinassMember

Threads:
    I watched this episode of Friends where Monica's parents told her that each month she suppose to put 10% of her salary aside! That's a really good idea! I am trying to do that. But most of the times I put aside as much as I can and somethimes nothing.But I'm trying!
    What about you?

2. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I had a counselor tell me this in college before we graduated; That 10% of your income saved should be enough for you to add up for your retirement. I doubt that with the way economy is paying out now that 10% would be enough but it is also very difficult to save all the time. I try to save as much as I can when I can but some times its easier than others. I am currently expecting so saving now is difficult but when I get over this hump its right back to saving as much as possible.

3. alahnna

alahnnaMember

Threads:
    I try to put a set amount aside each month, but so far I've had to dip into it, I'm slowly becoming more stable financially, so I hope to start really building a savings so I can relax a little instead of living basically paycheck to paycheck.

4. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I completely hear you. There have been a few hard times in my life when I had to dip into my savings just for basic needs, and during those times I was very glad that during times of feast I put money aside. My savings is down to nothing now, but I'm slowly building it back up again. Hopefully this time I won't have any more emergencies to start me back at zero again, but I am definitely grateful that it was there in time of emergency or I don't know what I would have done.

5. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't put aside nearly as much as I should. I try to take the money I earn online and save it. It's not saving towards retirement but I would like to create an account that will self-fun and pay for our vacations so that we don't use our daily living money for vacation.

6. racechick79

racechick79Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, we have put money aside as often and as much as we can. We pay money into our savings account just like we pay bills. When you look at saving as "paying" another bill, you are more likely to stick to saving. An example of this is that we just recently paid of my husband's truck. We could look at that and say "hey, we have an extra $500 a month to spend", but instead, at the time of month when I used to pay the truck payment, we put $250 into each of my child's savings accounts. I look at it like paying a bill and stick to it, and hopefully our children will reap the rewards of that some day!

7. Anna T

Anna TMember

Threads:
    I always want to do that, but we can never afford to. We've managed it a few times though and the money does add up quickly. I can imagine that if you did it religiously with every pay check, your savings would add up in a hurry.

8. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that it's a really good idea to put aside some savings each month, but I have yet to relgiously practice it. My husband's paychecks fluctuate in amount, so we don't always have savings left over. However, I do make an effort to save money when he does get a nice paycheck. My part-time paycheck goes completely to bills each month.

9. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I'm watching Friends right now! :p

I'm not much of a saver but I do have some savings I've had for almost a year more or less. I don't have monthly savings but I do put a part of what I earn aside and save it.

As for money I make online, no, no way I could way. I'm constantly spending it and have only cents on my PayPal account, lol!

10. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe one day. We haven't been in a position where we could put anything away in a long time. My husband finally got a job today, so I hope it works out and we can get back on our feet.

11. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I should be, but no I am not. My Aunt has a cool way of saving money. She takes all the money she saves with coupons and puts it in a jar. Say she had $11 worth of coupons, she would put the $11 in the jar. She does this with every shopping trip and she often uses coupons so she saves a lot of money this way. She has paid for trips and other various things for the house by doing this. I would like to start, but I don't always remember my coupons.

12. alahnna

alahnnaMember

Threads:
    My divorce is what set me back to be honest. When he left, I was on maturnity leave and then he stopped helping financially so all the bills were behind, power threatening to be cut off, no more wood for the winter, etc. I had a huge coupon book that was a life saver and needed my parents help on many occasions. It has really taken me about 5 years to get back on my feet. It's definitly not something I want to ever repeat again. I still keep my coupons though, and can regularly save at least $5 an order at the grocery store :D

13. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Yes, I do put a certain amount away every month, however, right now that extra is going to my last remaining student loan. I have read from many financial gurus that you need to pay yourself first. So, you need to give yourself 10% of your earnings first (which one should invest: not splurge), then pay your debts etc...

14. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    I put around $500 into my savings each month but thats about it. Given that I may loose my job very very soon, i am going to up it to $100 I think.

15. Hickorycottage

HickorycottageMember

Threads:
    I would love to be able to do this. My hubby fights me all the way when it comes to trying to save money. 10% is actually a very small amount to some people. I'm sure he will see the need someday, and snap out if it. It's hard to stay positive and focused with his crummy attitude. :-/

16. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes!!!
    I'm getting better at saving my money, but then again I am older and maturer now. Used to be I could never save any money and keep any money in my acct for longer than 3 days after pay day now I save. I usually manage to save around a 1000 dollars each month. That may not seem like a lot to some, but it is to me.

17. sergiu23

sergiu23Active Member

Threads:
    Wow. I know people in my country that would kill you for 1000$. Literally :) I save about 100$ in a good month, sometimes nothing.

18. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I hear you. Before I lost my job a few months ago I used to save $100 a month. Now I'm literally down to only $20 a month, but I feel like saving that is better than saving nothing.

19. tskmoore

tskmooreNew Member

Threads:
    I tend to put money aside for my kid's savings way more than I do for my husband and I. I am so invested in their futures that I often lose sight of investing in mine. I know the chances of them being a professional sports player and taking care of me all my life is almost nonexistant. I guess i feel like I fail as a parent if I do not make sure they are prepared. Now I am wondering, am I hurting them by not preparing for mine? I surely do not want them taking care of me when I am older. Am I the only one who struggles with this?

20. Gonzalo

GonzaloActive Member

Threads:
    I've watched that episode too! It's great, isn't it?
    My parents taught me that when I was a little kid. They've also been repeating it to me for a long time...
    Putting money aside is a really helpful idea. I'm trying to save up as much as possible too.