Do you put baby oil on your hair?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by chiofthenorns • Oct 30, 2014.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    When I was a kid, I had really curly hair. My mom would apply baby oil on the curls to make them "look" better. I don't know if you have experienced this before. I notice nowadays that people who get their hair permed also put baby oil on their hair. Is this practice good?

2. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I couldn't use baby oil in my hair even if I wanted to. I have combination dry/oily hair where it is dry at the roots and dry at the ends. Using the oil just makes the oily part worse and it does not really do anything to help the dry part. I do use baby oil on my newborn's scalp though to keep her from getting dry skin and cradle cap.

3. hogwarts

hogwartsNew Member

Threads:
    I don't put baby oil in my hair but I do put coconut oil in my hair. It works like magic, seriously, and it's also cheap. I'd try to get the organic kind if you can. Just make sure that coconut oil is the only ingredient. I just heat it a little bit in the microwave so that it liquefies and then I rub it onto my scalp and then into the ends of my hair. From January to May I used a lot of heat styling on my hair and also dyed it and wore clip-in extensions, and by the summer my hair was really fried. However, I started using coconut oil and now my hair is thicker, shinier, stronger and more manageable than it has ever been - and my hair has always been kind of frizzy.

4. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Oils of different kinds can be good for hair, it doesn't have to necessarily be baby oil, it can be olive oil, coconut oil, argan oil. Depending on a person's hair, and their personal preference, putting oil on hair can make the hair beautiful, shiny, and healthy. It is a matter of trial and error to see what works for a particular person.

5. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have also used coconut oil on my hair with good results. I do remember adding a tiny bit of baby oil to my daughter's curly hair when she was a baby, and it did help the curls to hold; but I am not altogether sure that it was helpful to her hair.
    Now, I use DMSO on my scalp and hair after my shower, and my hair has gotten much thicker, and is also growing faster. I am not sure, but I actually think that some of the grey is going away, because before it was almost white ( will be 70 in another 2 months), and now it is starting to look darker to me. DMSO is made from sulphur, which is what our hair (among other things) is mostly made of. that is why a burning hair smells so bad, you are smelling the burning supfhur. So, the DMSO not only is helping my memory (why I was putting it on my head in the first place), but it is also helping my hair.

6. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't put baby oil on my hair. I think it would be too heavy and I don't think I would have ever thought to try it. Besides, baby oil is way too expensive here because it is imported. I use coconut oil, shea butter, and cocoa butter. These are all locally produced and they are all very nourishing for the skin and hair.

7. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I only use baby oil on my hair after going to the beach, but I wash it out the next morning. They have specialized oils specifically for hair that does not cause the very oily feel to. I have a friend that mixes it with water and scent and spritz's it on her hair every day. She has the CURLIEST hair I have ever seen in my life, but it is always soft and manageable. She said it is because of the spritz.

8. manila

manilaNew Member

Threads:
    Most commercial baby oils are made from mineral oil which blocks the skin pores thereby causing chemical build up on skin and scalp. I regularly use virgin coconut oil, a pure and natural moisturizer on my hair and skin which both tend to be dry. It works well or me.

9. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I think it depends if you're not irritable with a baby oil. I've tried to use a baby oil, but I am irritated with it. Worst thing, I have a dandruff because of baby oil. When you are exposed to pollution, especially if you are on the street everywhere you go the baby oil can adopt the pollution and dirt.

10. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I've tried using it once to style my hair and I must say I am not a fan. My hair had this greasy and shiny look and it just felt terrible throughout the day. Maybe it works better for people with dry hair, but if you have naturally oily hair it will make things much worse.

11. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Once in a while I will put baby oil in my hair after taking a shower, especially during the summer months. I have curly hair and it tames it down quite a bit. You have to be careful or else you will just have an oily mess on your head. I tried olive oil once and it did not do much for my hair, but I probably did not put enough in when I tried it. I like the shiny look oil gives your hair. Mine is dry and curly, which translates to frizz on some days.

12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I used to put baby oil on my hair when I was in high school, but it never really worked for me because I still got frizzy hair. I just put conditioner to my hair now so I can achieve that nice shiny hair.

13. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I can't say I've ever put baby oil in my hair. I do sometimes use just a bit of Skin Silk nourishing vitamin E oil towards the ends, though. And, oddly, one of the very best hair products in my opinion is Vitalis hair tonic. I know it's made for men and I'm not crazy about the scent. The scent doesn't last long, though; and the product really does tame frizz, add shine and it acts as a darned good detangler on dry hair, in my opinion. Plus it has the added benefit of having a little hold to it without being stiff.

It takes only a tiny bit, too, even though my hair is thick and fairly long.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't done that for ages, but I do remember doing it, I just can't remember if I applied it or if it was my mom that did it. But when my hair is wet it does look straighter. I don't think I would want to do it now though, since it feels and looks greasy.

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have not tried baby oil or coconut oil on my hair I do need to find something to put on my scalp which gets very dry and itchy. I have heard of castor oil as a dressing for the hair but the smell puts me off so I would not be able to use that.

16. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to put baby oil on my hair when I was in primary and secondary school because it was cheap and having curly hair, I need something that won't make me look like a poor and rather lame version of Tina Turner. I've recently switched to more organic types of oil such as coconut and Moroccan Argan. Still, if you'd like something more cost-efficient, baby oil would be a good alternative. It will make your hair look slick and manageable.

17. wahmee

wahmeeMember

Threads:
    I can't stand putting oil in my hair for a long time. It makes me feel dirty and greasy. I do however put olive oil in my hair and my daughters about a hour or so before we wash our hair. I then wrap mine in a towel. She is two and won't let it stay. My hair turns out really soft

18. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    Have never thought to put baby oil on my hair. However, a salon had talked me into buying this expensive oil once, because my hair was standing up a lot and would not lay flat. It worked, but I knew I spent to much for such a thing. Reading about the oil now makes more sense in regard to price.

19. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not really a fan of baby oil, as in most cases it contains paraffin. As a matter of fact, I can't believe that such toxic stuff is included in baby products. I never liked the smell of commercial baby oil. I only ever moisturize my hair with argan oil or coconut oil.