Do you race for the newest model?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by whnuien • May 10, 2014.

1. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    A new model of laptop / computer comes just as fast as mobile phone does and I have known many people who try hard saving money and depriving themselves from social life and having enough food in order to get the newest. Even though their gadgets and software are still considerably good and might work for another few years but for them that is not the case.

I tend to wait until my old laptop or other gadgets are completely dead then I will think about buying a new one after. How about you? Are you one of those people who can never see or hear about the newest model without purchasing them?

2. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the device. When it comes to a primarily utility device such as a television or toaster, then I don't mind having a model that's 10 years old. When it comes to computers, I buy ones that I know will last so I wait maybe 5 years between each buy. When it comes to phones though, I prefer that mine is no more than two years old since they advance so fast.

3. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    For regular appliances that doesn't really change that much when it comes to technological advances, I can wait for years or until it breaks down on its own before I replace it. Phones, I'm not too keen to upgrade, I think phones are upgraded way too much on a course of a 2 years that I find it inconvenient and expensive. As for computers, well it depends on whether I really need the upgrade. I use my computer for work and I have to make sure that it runs in pristine condition so whenever a new technology that I think can help my computer perform my tasks faster is out, I tend to buy one immediately.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    New models of any gadget tend to be pricey. Since the prices inevitably have to drop within a year or two, I'm always content to wait until that happens.

In fact, on average, it takes me no less than three years to get myself a new device. The temptation to get new models therefore, has never got me to spend more money simply because I need to have the latest model on the market.

5. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    No, never. I always wait for a price drop, always. I almost never buy new hardware the same year it comes out.

6. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    No, I always wait a while until the price drops or my current device breaks down. I find that most times the new computers/gadgets offer nothing new - just improved versions of older stuff. So unless I'm in need of extra power for work or other activities I never buy a newer model. And let's be serious, a big part of the money you pay is for the privilege of using said model on release day.

7. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nope, that's not me at all, I buy a good quality computer or device, but once I've made that choice I use it until it serves me, I will not trade it just because a new model came along, that makes no sense in my mind and I can't afford that lifestyle.

8. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the device for me and how long I've had my old computer. I start looking for a new computer around every 2 years and will wait until I find a new model I like, if my old one is still functional. Another factor for me that plays into getting the newest computers is if I can sell my old one for a good price. I use that money from my old computer to mitigate the cost of the new one.

9. Aprax

ApraxMember

Threads:
    No, I've never been one to jump at a new device. My dad on the other hand, does. I prefer waiting for a few months until the price drops, so that I can pick it up at a discount.

10. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    This way is very good too. I dislike going through this route though because shops here in my town pay so less for any used gadgets. I have tried selling my old phone in the past because I didn't want to just waste it but most of the shops I went to wouldn't want to pay more than 50 even though the phone was still very good.

11. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't race for the newest model. I keep using my laptop as long as it is still functional, when it is still the way I love it, when it doesn't show signs yet of wearing off. The time that I change my laptop and buy a new one is one it broke down. I make sure to buy the latest laptop model because that's my only chance of upgrading my laptop to best ones possible I could afford!

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always wait for a gadget to get old and be permanently unusable before I purchase a new one again. Or I wait for a certain model to have a total price drop before I buy it. I'm not really a "slave" to the latest technology, but I don't mind buying gadgets that I don't really need from those websites that sell 2nd hand items at cheap prices.

13. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to technology and never swayed by the crowd stop there are two major things that I look for when I'm about to make a purchase that involves technology. First meets the specs. If the item is able to handle my needs then I will definitely go for it. For example if I need a phone to just help me communicate with other people, I will not look for very high end phone and paid a lot of money for it. But for example it am looking for a very high performing laptop, I will check out the specs of a laptop and I'm willing to pay a lot of money for it. So my decisions are really based on my need and I will not race for a new model.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm the type of person who waits until a few generations pass before jumping in. My reason for doing so is that I don't like pressuring myself and also I'd much rather the product already be tested and evolved before I spend a significant amount of money on it. I always keep in mind that I've seen and heard about a lot of people buying the top of the line products from way back such as high end stereos and PCs and now looking back none of them matter and probably wasn't worth the money spent on it because they were quickly made obsolete and can't even do a fraction of the things the new evolved gadgets are able to do at way lower prices.