Do You Re-use Tea Bags?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Diane Lane • Apr 14, 2015.

1. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Athough it's certainly very economical, I don't re-use tea bags at all. I like a really strong cuppa and often use 2 teabags at once in a single mug.

There are some bags, like Yorkshire Tea, which are strong enough for me but we currently have a lot of PG Tips at home right now because I'm a sucker for the free monkeys they sometimes give away. Unfortunately, the tea bags are slightly too weak for my liking so I often double up.

2. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hell no! I may not be the biggest tea connosieur out there, but I do like my tea good - at least, as good as you can get with bagged - so there's no way I would ever think about reusing a bag. Leaves, yeah, of course, but bag? Never in a million years.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do re-use teas, I actually thought that it was the normal way of drinking tea, like you drink it more than once because the tea is in the bag, so it can be used twice, like you just press the bag to release the juice.

4. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What the heck D:

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lol, I asked my dad if he re-uses his tea bags and he said yes, he uses the same bag 3 times, so I thought, "Okay, I will re-use mine twice, since the 2nd time the flavor has waned and it almost has no taste anymore", lol. The 2nd time I drink it, I press the tea bag against the glass with a spoon, so that the concentrated juice of the leaves will leak. I keep the glass inside the ref with the tea bag in there after I drank it the 1st time. There was this Lipton tea variant that tasted minty, it still tasted decently when you drink it the 2nd time.

6. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ew. :x I wouldn't be able to do that, the tea bags don't even have enough flavor the first time around sometimes, so the thought of re-using them multiple times is putting me off pretty bad. Not to mention the teabags get all crusty and ugly and awful when they dry up after being used.

7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Actually, I rarely drink tea. I am more of a coffee drinker. And no, I don't reuse my teabag. My father sometimes do that though.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ah, it does taste bland, but I put 2 tablespoons of sugar in my tea, milk and coffee, so I drink them really sweet. They're not really crusty, since it's kept in the ref. You must be a finicky eater? I imagine it would be indeed crusty if left outside the ref, where it is prone to catching bacteria and the flies can rest in there. Try to put it in the ref sometime for experimental purposes just to see how it looks, it doesn't look wilted! : D

9. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not really a finicky eater, I just enjoy tea, and while I don't always drink first flush leaves or whatever, I do like my tea to taste as good as possible, so reusing bags is absolutely out of the question for me. :x The crustiness actually comes from the bag itself, the paper is kind of.. weird when it dries up.

10. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    If it's cold and I'm intending to drink multiple cups of tea, I typically brew a whole kettle worth of tea. I use two standard tea bags for my whole 6-cup kettle. The tea is strong enough for my tastes that way. It's sort of reusing because each bag makes more than a single cup but I don't actually keep the wet tea bags. Doing that for more than a few minutes sounds like creating a growing medium for all kinds of foodborne bacteria.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I see. I don't know how you drink your tea, but over here we just place a tea bag in a glass and put hot water on it. I don't know how to brew, but the paper is still moist since it's kept in the ref, and if you squeeze the bag there's still water in it, so no crustiness. If you don't re-use you tea bags, then a box probably lasts less that a week with you.

12. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually came across an article on Facebook the other day. It was one of the businesses/pages that I liked and I am subscribed to - a health one. And they post health articles daily. They are very useful. The other day they wrote one about tea bags and other uses for them, after you have used them to drink tea. They are also good for getting rid of bags under the eyes. They help with sweat too apparently.

13. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Depends on the tea. If it's a good tea with strong flavor, I'll throw two bags into a pitcher and make about a litre of it, so the box actually lasts me more than a week, since most of them have 20 bags or so. If the tea is weak, then yeah, I just make it in a mug or something.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, I haven't heard of tea helping with sweat before. So you're supposed to bathe in tea leaves then?

@Aladar@Aladar, It has never occured to me to make a pitcher of tea bags, you seem to love drinking tea. For large preparations, I'd rather buy powdered iced tea instead. Yum.

15. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, as I said, I'm not exactly the biggest tea connosieur out there, as I mostly drink bagged tea, but yeah, I do drink a lot of it, and I do quite enjoy it. :) Drinking green tea first thing in the morning has become a very pleasant ritual of mine. :x

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Aladar@Aladar, Come to think of it, I don't even know the kind of tea that I drink, lol. I just get whatever is in the container. I should look up on the differences of each one for the sake of knowing, lol.

17. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Heh. There are big differences in taste (although I guess white and green tea could be easily mistakeable, since they don't have as big a difference as black/green do). They taste differently depending on how they got fermented during the preparation process after being gathered. You can tell by the color of the tea.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Aladar@Aladar, Upon looking at the label, I'm apparently drinking Lipton Yellow Label Tea. So I'm drinking Yellow Tea, and it tastes ok, since I put lots of sugar in it. I didn't know they come in so many variants and "colors". So is green tea the best tasting tea among the bunch?

19. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84Member

Threads:
    That is fair enough, I never did because I only ever make tea for other people (Don't care for it myself) but I can see why you would re-use if you like strong tea.

20. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yellow Label is black tea. :) I'm actually not even sure how many types there are, because you sometimes see blends sold as a new type (I've seen "pink tea" a few times), but the main types of tea are black, white and green. There's no "best tasting", it's just different tastes and depends on your preference, really. There's also rooibos and stuff, but that's not technically tea.