Do You Re-use Tea Bags?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Diane Lane • Apr 14, 2015.

1. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    I never use normal tea bags, but I do reuse green tea bags. I don't know, if my post makes sense or not, but you've not mentioned which kind of tea bags to reuse. I don't reuse the normal ones, because they lose flavor, but green tea is simply too good to throw away on the first time itself. Some people say, they can brew it over 4 to 5 times. I'd, however, prefer it twice and the aroma still stays intact.

2. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Try getting tea leaves instead then, you can use a small amount of them since they are pretty potent, and they can be - and usually are - re-brewed for at least two times, usually three, without losing any of their flavor. It may be a more economic way of drinking tea.

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never used or thought about reusing tea bags! Is that supposed to work? I wouldn't think that is hygienic... I will use a new tea bag for every new tea, I believe that works better. Also, I like my tea strong, so that would not work out for me.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So yellow tea is also classified as black tea? These color classifications are quite confusing, lol! I think I will have to read up on this, since there is also the type of tea being sold in the malls where it tastes creamy, the ones where you drink in a large straw? That's the best tasting ones outside the tea bag group in my opinion.

5. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is yellow tea (Yellow tea is a speciality of Anhui, Sichuan and Hunan provinces in China. It is one of the rarest types of tea), but "yellow tea label" is a brand of black teas by Lipton. I have no idea why they named it yellow tea label, but it's basically a typical breakfast tea, if I remember correctly. Matte is being drank with a straw, but I'm not sure I would classify it as creamy.. maybe it's some bubble tea? That's like, a milk/tea cocktail.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Aladar@Aladar, You really know alot about teas huh? :) I think you're right, since they call them "Taro Milk Tea", etc. Although they don't taste that sweet in my opinion, like with all commercially sold drinks.

7. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nah, I just know some stuff that I learned when I started buying tea and going to teahouses. I really don't know the difference between the different tea plants, or such. And I don't really do my tea as it's "intended" to, with all of the recommended temperatures and simmer time and stuff like that.

8. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Not now, I like my tea very strong so I simply cannot reuse them. On occasions I have used two tea bags in a single cup. I simply buy in bulk to cut costs, so I can have very cheap tea, and not need to worry about re-using.

9. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I tried that too, using two bags in a single cup. It ended up too strong to me, most of the time. My body doesn't react too well to caffeine (or any other chemical like that, really, especially alcohol), so I ended up kind of trembling and feeling bad from the "overdose".

10. Hedonologist

Threads:
    I don't normally, it's just that sometimes when I have older tea bag that have lost their strength, two are needed. That's the one downside of buying in bulk. 1000 tea bags can last me about 6 months, but towards the end they start getting a bit too weak.

11. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ah. I don't like those 100-1000 bulk offers myself. While you can save a few bucks here and there, I found the tea being way too bland and tasting just... not satisfactory. I usually buy a bag of good leaf tea for when I want quality, a box of 20 bags of a nice tea (the cheaper ones, not the organic expensive teas), and then I just buy the cheap brands for day to day drinking. And even the cheaper brands seem to be better than the 100 bags boxes, so the money difference is negligible.

12. Hedonologist

Threads:
    I actually today found a box of 80 tea bags for 27 in Morrisons, working out at just over £3 for 1,000. I didn't buy them, but I would be very sceptically of the quality at that price. They are Morrisons savers but I assume they are still drinkable, perhaps?

13. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know the brand, but I would be pretty sceptical too. I mean, as I said, I don't really buy the best of teas, but 1000 for 3 quid... I don't think that will be any good, really. Even for people who aren't tea connosieurs, I'm pretty sure you will feel the cheapness.,

14. sazzydan

sazzydanMember

Threads:
    I do not reuse them, simply because of the price and that it seems like a lot of messing around keeping them!

Tea is so cheap to buy these days and they are only really designed for one use. If your concerned with how strong your tea is, decaf bags are available for just about the same price as the regular tea bags.

15. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I never re-use our tea bags. I would think that it will not taste good or even be healthy if you do.

16. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I much prefer my tea strong and will often let it stew for 2-3 minutes to get the taste I like, with a slight bitterness to it. I have it with milk and sugar and together the taste is just perfect for me. The fact that I let it stew for so long means there's no way I'd get the same strength if I were to re-use the same teabag. It would be way too weak and horrible LOL

17. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @ohiotom76@ohiotom76 Tom, what brand is the iced tea brewer you use nowadays? I might consider getting one eventually.

I tend to drink my tea room temperature, but I'll probably start brewing pots again, or perhaps getting an iced tea brewer, rather than making so many individual cups per day. I probably make 6-8 cups of tea per day, at least, so there's no chance of my tea bags getting dried out or crusty :eek::p;). I used to brew a large pot a day and put it in a thermos to bring up here to the office, so I wasn't going up and down the stairs so often, but then I decided the exercise was good for me.

18. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    I rarely reuse tea bags since I have more than enough tea bags. I have, however, thought about reusing them on the puffy bags under my eyes. I heard that the caffiene in the tea bags is good for puffiness.