Do You Read Less After You Get Married?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by isabbbela • Jun 14, 2016.

1. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was single, living with my parents or living by myself, I used to read so much! I love reading, and to me reading was my past time when I was stressed or when I was a little bored. It was even my past time when I was feeling lonely. Now that I live with my fiancé and we are about to get married, I find myself reading very rarely. Do you find that after you moved in with your partner or gotten married you started reading less?

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes is my answer to the thread's title. When I was in school, particularly in college, I used to read a lot. I love the romance books and also the book of quotations. But when I married, I never noticed that I had stopped reading. In fact, I have several comics that are still in plastic packaging that are not opened even if I had bought them years ago. It has become my habit to buy Archie comics that started when I was in college. This year, I bought 5 comics. From my rough estimate, perhaps there's about 20 comics in my storage that I still have to read.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not yet married but my mom, who's an English and Literature major and a teacher as well, told me she's stopped reading novels after she married. She reads self-help or informative books from time to time but never really get to finishing them. I guess because you have so many responsibilities before you that it's hard to keep your nose buried in a book for too long. I think the same thing has happened to me since I've joined the workforce. I wish I could get back my reading habit. My days seem empty without books. But I can only blame my inability to manage my time. Hopefully, I can return to being a bookworm. My life isn't complete without stories.

4. clair02

clair02Member

Threads:
    I am one of those lucky people who actually married the perfect guy who loves the same things that I do. We both are big readers and now we enjoy doing that activity together. It would be so frustrating to be one person who loves to read, but married to someone who couldn't care less about books.

5. kokimboka

kokimbokaMember

Threads:
    I totally agree with you Isabella,I used to read a lot before I got married. Now that am married and with kids I can even stay for a whole month without reading a book, something I never used to do. I remember when I was single I could squeeze even three books in a week. But now that's history,how I miss those days.

6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to buy lots of books to read when I was single. My favorite is science fiction stories. But when I married, there is already someone that I share my time with and that lessened my reading. However, I still read at bedtime, about 10 to 30 minutes before sleeping. And now with the internet, I cannot remember when I last bought a book because stories can be read for free in some sites especially if you have a tablet.

7. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    That's very true. Before I got married, I used to read at least one book a week. Sometimes, when I had less work, I used to complete two books in a week. However, after I got married, I have completed reading just about half a dozen books in three years time. I start reading, but cannot finish.

8. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with you. Even I hardly get any time to read after getting married. Firstly, I had to move to another city and I did not know from where to get the books. We did not have the internet connection at that time. And now that I have the knowledge of the place and the internet connection and all the facilities, I have two kids and all my time is spent on them. There is no time to read books. However, I do try to read on my way to my job.

9. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Though I love books for I have a mini library at home, I read them casually when I have to read them. But the book which I always read everyday from cover to cover is the scriptures or the Bible and other religious books which we use as our teaching curriculum in the Church.

10. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    It is actually not after getting married, it is after having kids that I hardly find time to nurture this passion of mine.

I always had a penchant towards reading and book fairs were the time of the year when I used to buy a lot of books. I was member of couple of libraries as well. However, pressure of life prevailed and I just have kept aside this hobby for a while.

11. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Really interesting question here, as it reminds me of when I was newly wed and my wife wanted to read in bed, before we went to sleep. I am too picky with lights and other sounds when I am about to go to sleep, so yeah, in fact I contributed to my wife reading less, lol! :D

12. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I would say I do less of everything not just reading. I do less of my arts and crafts projects I used to love doing. I am not on the internet browsing for things I want to read some informations about anymore. I don't have much time in the day to do any of my hobbies or just sit down and watch an entire movie.

13. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Thing is that with full-time jobs, two small kids, extra-curricular activities, sports, family, dinners and so on and on, there's not much time to read except on vacation. Sure, I could read a little at night instead of watching TV, but usually I am too tired for that.

14. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    That is how it is when you first get married. You are new at spending time in each others company so you are feeling each other out at the moment. After a while, you will settle into more of a routine and you will find that you will go back to reading again.

When do you normally read? If you read before you go to sleep, for example, then still have a read before you go to sleep. You husband wouldn't want you to give up what you enjoy.

15. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think I would read less as it is one of my favorite hobbies and I should say it is one of my de-stressing activity. I always feel excited and happy after I read something. So, I would not reduce it after getting married. :)

16. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well I am not married, but I have always kind of assumed that my amount of reading would rise when I do marry, but now I am rethinking that a little bit. I guess it all depends on you, but now I am curious about what will happen.

17. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. After getting married you have other responsibilities. As you can see that takes your most of the time. And that seems to be the case with almost every one of us. We don't get time to do many things and reading being one of them. I think it's better to set aside some time for yourself.

18. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    This is so true. When you get married or you have a major lifestyle change, reading is one activity that very quickly takes a backseat before any other. You also gradually cut down on other activities like TV, movies or even exercise. I used to read a lot in high school and college. But after a while, life and growth introduced a lot of changes to my lifestyle and my reading count gradually reduced. Nowadays, I am very selective to what I read and only catch up on a great book every few months or so.

19. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, as you are loaded with so many responsibilities once you get married. I was a voracious reader before marriage and spent every free minute I could get to read whatever I liked. After I got married, it was home, job, home, job again and then my baby arrived. It was enough that I could get even a few moments for myself to just eat or sleep a bit after that. Reading was so out of question. But now that he has grown up and spends a few hours at school, a couple of hours playing outside with friends, I am now able to catch up on my lost time to read.