Do you really need air fresheners?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Dora M • Apr 1, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I see all these air fresheners and sanitizers advertised on TV, and wonder whether people really need to have them? I personally like to air my flat, keep windows and doors open when I am at home and clean the whole place at least once a week. If there is a stale odour hanging around, I burn some incense sticks.
    I see people having ambi pur in their cars, bottles of air freshener in the toilet and basically a spray for every bad odour imaginable.
    I feel if bad smells were covered up in my place by synthetic fragrances, I wouldn't be able to detect whether there are hidden moulds or other nasties.

2. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I like air freshers, but I love the flat air also, sometimes I like to open up mu windows and doors and enjoy fresh air. But I use air freshers sometimes if your house is closed up you can use air freshers to bring life back into in. Cause sometimes the outside air can be very bad also

3. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on the season, at least where I live.
    In the Summer and Spring you can have the windows open and not worry about it; but in the Winter and Autumn there is no way you can keep the windows open, if it's not the rain then it's the wind and the cold.
    I those months I only open my windows while I'm making the bed and while I'm showering.

4. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    Air fresheners are great for the purpose of ridding foul stenches that happen to turn themselves up sometimes. You just give the air some spray and the room smells a thousand times better. I do not mind airing the place out by opening windows sometimes, because it is not good spraying chemicals in the air all the time. But overall, I like air fresheners and do not have a problem with them.

5. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Now that I think about it, I haven't actually used air fresheners in years. I have scented candles that I use sometimes, and if the bathroom REALLY stink, I use body spray in there (if it's not harmful for us, then I assume it won't be harmful for the air). Like someone mentioned above, during the Spring and Summer seasons, I just open the window and let some fresh air in. I also have a lot of scented soaps around the house, and the aroma is divine when someone uses them.

6. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I've only used candles in the past. I don't like where it's cold so I open doors or windows to bring in air and there's no need for an air freshener. I have an air purifier and it's supposed to help against odors. It seems to work well.

7. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I can use an air freshener in the house but not in the car. Car fresheners can make you even feel to vomit. It really affects a lot of people especially if it is an enclosed place. If you keep your house clean then there will be no need to have air fresheners.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really use air fresheners, I just keep the windows open. I find that cleaning and taking out the trash often helps. If I take out the garbage daily, wash the dirty dishes and mop the floors, the place smells good without air fresheners. Bad smells can come from things like trash, laundry and dirty dishes, so I stay on top of those things to avoid bad smells.

9. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think that you need air fresheners and especially not to that extent but I also don't think that it would stop me from detecting dirt in my flat. I clean almost every day and I like to air out the house and mop the floor. I find mopping gives the place a nice scent.
    I have one plug in but I find that if it's on for to long it gives me a headache. I don't think to much air fresheners are good for you.

10. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Well, if you're living near a stinky place then you probably need one. I mean, I only use air freshener in my bathroom and kitchen, but in the living or bedroom, well I don't like them that much. You have to keep in my mind that you're inhaling chemicals inside you're lungs, danger or no danger it still a fact, and besides what do you need air fresheners for? I mean its not like the air you breath stinks that bad.

11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:

12. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't use air fresheners to cover up the source of any bad odors, but more as a finishing touch after I've cleaned my place. Usually at least once a week, typically on weekends, I will clean my place from top to bottom, including the walls, floors, counters, everything with mostly ammonia, vinegar and a few other things, while the windows are all open to air the place out. Then I will perhaps burn some scented waxes to relax to while the scents of the cleaning products dissipate. I prefer the scented waxes because the sprays leave residues on everything, which attract more dust and dirt.

The main problem with leaving the windows open too often would be bugs coming in. We've been having some major problems where I live with stinkbugs infesting everything. If you so much as open some windows for a few minutes, they start coming in like crazy. They will even somehow squeeze in even when your windows are completely closed.

13. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only use air freshener when I'm going the bathroom and in the hallway for the dogs. I guess it's a feminine thing when going the bathroom and I don't know if a candle would be suitable for that. I have to use the automatic wall freshener in the hallway because my little one really messed up the carpet. We got a brand new carpet too and it already smells like it's old to me.

14. Jrh2

Jrh2Member

Threads:
    I don't think we need air freshners, I don't like them as they are far too strong smelling and I don't think they do anything other than creating a distraction from the smell anyway.

15. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    The best thing for an air freshener is to get a diffuser and use a real essential oil. Then you are actually cleaning the air, not just covering up. Plus you get the benefits of whatever qualities that particular oil has.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well it won't hurt to buy one from time to time if you're the kind that loves to smell something as you open any door, like your bedroom or bathroom door for example. As for me, I don't think it's a necessity, so I'm not really inclined to buy one. I'd rather buy something else than air fresheners.

17. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes the place where you live is what determines whether you need an air freshener or not. For those who live in industrial towns where the air is polluted, I don't think you'd have a choice. However for the rest of the folks who live in places where the air isn't that bad, you can either choose to use an air freshener or use your own home-made air fresheners.

You could check this link out if you are interested in that kind of [DIY] stuff

18. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Do I really need air fresheners?

I think it depends on a lot of things. Like when I have a sudden guest and I just cooked fish ^_^ then I really need an air freshener. But for regular home use.. No I don't need air fresheners but I always have a stock at home, just like alcohol, bleach and other stuff that I sometimes need. :D

19. Aprax

ApraxMember

Threads:
    Well, you can definitely survive without one with proper ventilation. But I find that when trying to change the fragrance of a room to something more pleasant perhaps, air freshener is very useful in a pinch.

20. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    In my opinion no. Not that they are bad for the ozone layers, they could be harmful to asthmatic people as they trigger asthma attack. They could also induce asthma and allergies. Also I wouldn't have to pay for air fresheners as I am not needing it. And besides, if you are naturally clean, bad smell would be far away. If you want a good smell, then just be simply clean.