Do You Really Save By Using An App Or Mobile Game?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by Zyni • Jun 22, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For example, I have a game that's similar to Tetris on my phone. One of my kids put it on there for me, because they know I like Tetris. My issue is, the more I read the "fine print" on games and especially apps, the more I dislike them.

Is it really worth it to get a "free" game or app if they require tons of ridiculous permissions and are intrusive? Is it worth trading your personal info for the use of these things? It's not really "free" if they require all your info in exchange. In some cases, I think the better "value" is to just buy a handheld game.

As for apps, some things can be done online as opposed to using an app. I feel as if I have better security and control on the computer than on the mobile.

What say you?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are some games and apps which are totally free [no strings attached]. And there are other games which are free but aren't really free because they'll get to sell you info [there are companies that simply collect emails and phone numbers and sell them to marketers] and you'll have people trying to sell you stuff you don't need.

I've come to hate apps which they claim are free but aren't that free and usually when I find that out, I'll uninstall the app.

I think before downloading an app you need to find out if it really is 100% free. If it isn't there's no reason why you should get it.

3. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    There's a local online shopping site that offers discounts every time their app is installed. But that discount would only be available if you make a certain amount of purchase. I bought shoes and other items with the freebie way back. It's still a big help when you really want to buy something you like before it disappears.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like the apps that are available on kindle, they have some apps available from the Amazon underground that never try to sell you anything or buy or trade your information. Now some of these apps try to get you to buy Amazon coins and so forth, but some are completely free...and never ask for anything...Those are the ones I like!!

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What about registering with your email and signing up for deals online? I recently did this at a shop, and they actually sent me some pretty decent coupons to print out. Do you sign up for that kind of stuff? I'd much rather give out my email than all my info, personally.

I also have a "spam" account that I use for registering for stuff like this or for other offers. There are some good deals to be had. I guess I'm just very cautious, because I don't want to get taken advantage of in the process of trying to get a good deal.

This is not to say that all apps or programs are bad, just that caution is a good thing.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It depends on the specific app or game. Some of them will be worth it even with annoying adds and the option to pay to upgrade whereas some are just intolerable. I have a game I play with my niece that has ads in it and has lots of things you can buy with real money but at the same time you can enjoy it fully without ever having to pay a single cent, and they also give you some options to earn in game currency so you'll still be able to purchase goods within the game by watching some commercials. I think those types of free apps are okay.

7. Robilas

RobilasMember

Threads:
    Personally I hate those "not really free" games, so before downloading an app or a game I check for ther required permissions. If a simple "Match Four" game wants to know everything about my contact list, my phone number and the localization, something is wrong and I choose a different app. After all if they want to make a profit they should just put a price on that game!

Same goes for intrusive ads. I don't mind a single, non intrusive ad from time to time if the app is offering a quality service for free, but if I'm just closing them half the time, I uninstall the app. And if they ask me to pay to remove the ads, chances are I'll download a paid app for the same price instead.