Do you receive food stamps?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Kaylah • Jan 2, 2014.

1. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    I'm just curious to know how many people here receive food Stamps.

I get food stamps and I feel no shame in that. They are necessary for me. My boyfriend works out a lot, so he eats like a horse, so we need all the help that we can get. I am thankful that benefits such as food stamps and health insurance are available.

2. starfox64

starfox64Active Member

Threads:
    I don't use food stamps but there was a time growing up that my mother needed them (divorced with 3 kids). Food stamps, if not abused, are a great way to help families who are stuggling to get by on meager wages.

3. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I don't use them, but it is a great system that helps out a lot of people, it's a shame some people abuse the system, those are the people who should be embarrassed and ashamed, not the people who need them legitimately.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to use food stamps 16 years ago when I was pregnant and struggling financially because I couldn't work for a couple of months. You can use coupons with food stamps, in fact it's encouraged because it makes your food stamps stretch farther, so don't be afraid to use coupons if you are on assistance. There's nothing wrong with being on food stamps as long as you truly need them and are trying to better yourself and improve your family's situation.

5. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We used to get more food stamps but then it dropped to only 15 dollars just because my mom gets social security. I don't get that. Out of all the reasons for it to drop, they pick that one. It's not that much. I don't think she should have bothered getting re-certified for that little bit of money. If it was just me, I wouldn't have done it. Then again I don't like having to be on food stamps anyway but still it hardly seems worth waiting at social services for that.

6. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    Nickchick. My friend is in the same boat. Because he lives rent free with his mom they've dropped the amount to only $15 a month. The social worker tried to help him by suggesting that his mom write a letter saying that he is paying her rent. He didn't want to have to do that, and I don't blame him. But I do think the food stamp program is good as long as people aren't abusing it. Every little bit helps.

#6Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  7. Nickchick

Threads:
    I mean I guess but there really needs to be a system in place so people are guaranteed to get good paying decent jobs instead of spending all this money on welfare. Job fairs don't count because they are a joke and I hear recruiters aren't that great either.

8. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't receive them, but my ex did. I think it's a nice system when not abused, and it's very helpful for a lot of people. But I feel like people often get too reliant on it. I work in real estate and see people all the time who don't work, but get free housing, healthcare, and food. One lady receives $950 a month in food stamps! I dunno, I just think sometimes people get too comfortable with it. They don't bother looking for work because they know that means they would get their assistance removed. It's sad.

My ex stopped receiving food stamps after he was "making too much." It was so frustrating because he was making barely anything, and had bills and rent on top of it. I just feel like if you aren't doing anything to TRY to better yourself or your situation, then why should you receive extra help? Not saying that everyone abuses the system, obviously, but it's common.

#8May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
  9. Nickchick

Threads:
    I don't understand why people would abuse the system. It's very depressing to only be able to live and eat. You don't get to buy anything extra. Not only that food stamps only work with cold foods at the grocery store. I can't believe these people would actually be satisfied with staying in the house and having to cook almost all their food. To me it's more work to be lazy.

The situation with your ex doesn't surprise me. Apparently if I got even a job at the grocery store they'd still lower my Section 8. They don't go by tiers. You either have reported income or you don't. In other words the amount of decrease is the same. It's so stupid. If I was sitting at home doing nothing then I might be more inclined to get a job at the grocery store but why should I jump through hoops to try and get a job I really don't like to be in the hole?

10. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't receive stamps but I really wish I could I have 5 kids and they stated that I make to much money which is totally something I disagree with. My sister receives them and I get so jealous to see her fridge filled to the top with grocery. But it just what it is there no need to feel ashamed at all its nothing wrong with a little help

11. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I don't get any type of assistance, including food stamps. I'm glad that I'm considered "blessed" enough because I "make too much money" to need them, but it's tough sometimes to see people who have more than I do getting food stamps. It's kind of a struggle when you're in the lower-average category; you make too much for help but not enough to live.

I think the food stamp program could use a bit of an overhaul. I definitely don't think there's any shame in getting help if you need it.

12. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I do not receive food stamps and never have, I agree with previous posters who said there is no shame in using them. I think it's a great system for people who are a little down on their luck...when you really get down to it it could happen to any of us at any time. Lately my friends have been losing their jobs left and right and many have been out of work for some time, all of them have made significant efforts to find a job, the one had his unemployment run out, he is making nothing but was somehow denied food stamps. The system seems a little out of whack some times.

13. LO0715

LO0715New Member

Threads:
    That's horrible that your friends were denied food stamps even with having no income coming in at the present moment. The system really is out of whack. I have witnessed so many people get approved even while working. I understand that there is a limited income that is required to be considered eligible, so it really bothers me to hear about a person who is down on their luck and are being denied assistance. Many people can have whatever opinion they choose to have when it comes to government assistance, but I feel that when it comes to food, no person who is in a predicament of having no sustainable income should be denied, especially those who can provide verifiable documentation proving this. I hope your friends can find a way to get the assistance that they need. Maybe they should contact the Department of Children and Families and ask to speak to a different caseworker or supervisor.

14. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I've never received food stamps but I wouldn't have a problem asking for them if I did.
    Unfortunately some people abuse the system when they don't actually need them but it's a vital help for a lot of people.

15. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    I do not receive food stamps but I wish I could. In my state, students cannot get food stamps because food is suppose to be included in their cost of living. This sucks because I still spend a lot of money on food. Hopefully they change this in the future.

16. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannonMember

Threads:
    Although I don't use food stamps, I would absolutely love to. I haven't gotten around to going down and actually talking to someone. I am not currently employed and have been struggling to make ends meet. I should be looking into it within the next week or so.