Do You Refill Your Water Bottles And Jugs To Save Money?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • Mar 15, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Walmart has a little kiosk where you can refill your water jugs for less than the cost of buying a new gallon of water. I saw a gas station that offers this service as well. The system is outside, so you can use any time, even if the station is closed. It costs less to get a refill there as it does to buy a gallon jug of water at the grocery store.

Do you use this type of service to save money instead of buying a new bottle every time? I have to admit that I don't always do it, but the more we use bottled water, the more I need to get back in the habit of doing it all the time.

2. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't know about that. But that sounds really cool! I need to look for those when I go out again. Thanks for the info! I think it's a great idea to do that. I normally just refill my bottles at home. But when you're going out that could come in handy.

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, our water at home isn't that great, which is why I buy the bottled water. It's the only kind my husband will drink. I've also started using it to make coffee and stuff, and I should be using filtered water a lot more.

I will eventually get a home filter of some sort, but for now, I need to save money on buying bottled water. I just don't always think of it when I'm running low. I guess I should throw at least one jug in the car, so if I do remember, I can fill up at least one while I'm out.

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, lol. We do do this in our household, and we have been doing this for as long as I can remember. It is normal to me now. It is strange to think that many people do not do this. But then again, maybe they don't have to. I do change them quite often though. I won't keep the same bottle and refil it for longer than a month or so.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to do that at times to save money, like I would refill a used softdrink bottle and carry it with me if I'm going for a walk. It saves me from buying a drink when I get thirsty from all that walking.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We don't have that sort of thing in our stores! But what we do do is buy 5litre bottled water. We usually get about 8-10 bottles at once and store them in the cupboard. The good thing's that the bottle fits very nicely in the bottom of our fridge. Because 5litres is quite a lot, it's very rare that we run out of nice, chilled water :)

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I stick with tap water in most cases. Though refilling bottles is a step in the right direction environmentally as well as more cost effective, I still find it wasteful to pay so much and go through so much effort for "bottled" water when tap water is just fine. I would be open to keeping a few jugs of it on hand in case there was some sort of local water emergency, but I wouldn't consume bottled water on a regular basis.

Think of how long we all got along just fine before bottled waters hit the market and went mainstream. Now it's hard to even find a water fountain anywhere - you're expected to buy it from vending machines when you're thirsty.

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We are fortunate because our office provides us with purified drinking water and the dispenser is always available. However, I always have my water bottle with me that I fill up with cold water so I can drink anytime when I am working. Remember, I had this bout with kidney stones so more than 10 glasses of water a day will do me good. At home, we also have the dispenser and a water purifier.

But when I would dine out, I would bring my water bottle so I wouldn't order water in the restaurant. Sometimes a bottle of water in the restaurant is more expensive than a bottle of soda.

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You make some good points, especially regarding the water fountains that used to be peppered everywhere for free, and are now not. They expect you to buy bottled water, claiming that that water is somehow superior to tap water, but then when investigations are carried out, that bottled water is proven to be no different from tap water. I have always hated that.

10. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I wasn't aware of those sorts of schemes where you can fill your water bottles up. I don't know if it's even available in my country but I expect it might not be. They expect you to pay a fortune for things like that.

I agree that it's so expensive to buy bottled water at restaurants. Here, they don't let you take drinks in with you, but if you just have tap water it's free. The tap water is disgusting though.

11. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    In some public places near where I live, you can get drinking water, but I have never seen them charge for it, so you could simply go and fill up all of your bottles for free, which is great. I buy bottled water as I am out of the house a lot and like to have water to drink, however I will only refill it for one day. I buy it cheaply, and I have heard that bacteria can grow in bottles and you can't really clean them properly, so I wouldn't want to use them for any longer than that really. It is one thing that I won't do to save money!

12. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had posted in another thread not so long ago that since 1994 when we discovered dirty water in the tap, we decided to drink only purified or mineral water. And even if that was expensive during that time, we persevered in buying water from the supermarket. Since then, we never had tasted tap water. We know that restaurants serve tap water that's why we always order drinks, be it soda or juice, and do away with tap water or bring my own bottled water.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do but I only do it at home since we have a filter system. Back when we didn't we used to get our water jugs refilled at filling stations which are popular in my area but it was too much effort to have to drive to get water and having to carry the heavy jugs back into the house. There was a time when we used to get them delivered too which was a little more convenient but regularly having to deal with it was also a bit tedious regardless. Now I'm glad we have a home filtration system instead which is way more convenient.

14. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never seen something like this where I live! But it would definitely use it! We actually put a filter on our kitchen sink so that we can save money on actually buying water all the time. The filter was not the cheapest, however it is good quality enough that I trust the water I'm drinking through it.
    I never stopped to do the math of how much I saved since I got it, however I am sure it is very considerable.

15. jamesfende

jamesfendeMember

Threads:
    i just stick to tap water, dont know where you guys are but im in the UK and the majority of people drink tap water as buying bottled just seems like a waste. if i do ever buy a bottle of water when im out i always keep the bottle and just refill it and then use it for work.