Do you regard dental floss as one of life's necessities?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Dora M • Jul 15, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you regard dental floss as one of life's necessities? I do. But at the same time I don't like to pay $5-$7 just for a bit of fibrous string to clean my teeth with. Do you know of any home-made alternatives I could use instead?

2. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually I think that dental floss is as important brushing our teeth because the brush doesn't clean between teeth as the floss does. I am somewhat lazy to floss, but lately I've been managing to do it daily. I don't know of any alternatives and to be honest I don't mind giving the $5 for the floss because it lasts me minimum one month, so it's not so expensive.

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not really... to be honest I wish I could use dental floss more often, but for some reason it's never been a part of my routine. I use it from time to time, but most days I'll just thoroughly brush my teeth with tooth brush and tooth paste.

4. gi_joy

gi_joyNew Member

Threads:
    I agree about the ridiculous price of dental floss. However, I think that my teeth feel so much cleaner after flossing. There's a lot of plaque that builds up in between my teeth that my toothbrush can't reach, and using dental floss gets rid of that gross stuff. Flossing helps prevent cavities almost as much as toothbrushing alone, and it also prevents gingivitis and other gum diseases. Perhaps you should consider buying floss in bulk online or something. That way you have enough floss for several years without having to think about how expensive it is.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks, Grasshopper, that's a thought that never occurred to me for some reason. What a good idea to buy some bulk floss on the internet. I am actually a little bit obsessed with flossing, and always carry some with me in my bag. I simply don't like that parsley or those poppy seeds stuck in my teeth after I eat at a restaurant. Also, flossing has kept the condition of my teeth and gums exceptionally well over the years.

6. Sam Tarly

Sam TarlyMember

Threads:
    Dental floss is extremely important, regular brushing doesn't take care of your dental hygiene completely. Floss can help get to the little spaces between teeth, but I can understand your problem, dental floss is way too expensive especially considering that it is just a thin string. Many stores have generic brands of floss that are usually around 2-3 dollars and last pretty long, I think Walmart carries a generic brand you might want to try.

7. Dolson910

Dolson910Member

Threads:
    I cannot recommend any homemade alternatives for dental floss, but I do believe it is just as important as actually brushing your teeth. The reality is if food gets trapped between your teeth and is left there, you are increasing your risk for cavities and bacteria formation. I am not sure what floss you are finding for $5-$7, but you can get pretty decent floss at Target for less than $2.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Flossing has not been part of regular routine, which I know is not a good thing. My teeth do feel cleaner when I have flossed I admit. I usually floss to remove something that has gotten stuck and brushing alone will not remove the item.

9. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's really a must like a mouthwash, but not as primary as toothpaste and toothbrush. Nevertheless, if you can afford it, buy it and don't be too lazy to use it. As for my case, I have it, but I rarely use it in the past. Only recently that I have started to use it religiously. Of course the effects wouldn't be apparent.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My mom used to just cut thread from her sewing kit and use it as a floss, so I think that's a very cheap alternative. It still serves the same purpose, right? Although I noticed that dental floss is much more easier to use than the thread.

11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have tried similar things, but nothing beats my favourite fibrous dental floss with mint taste. I think if I really had problems getting dental floss, I would just experiment with different types of thread and dip them in essential peppermint oil. I admit, I am a dental floss junkie. I carry it around with me wherever I go. :)

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Which brand do you use though? As for me I use this:

13. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I floss on a daily basis and think it is a very important part of any oral care routine. I am not sure what type of floss you are purchasing but the most I have ever paid for floss is $4 and that was for some type of all natural brand at Whole Foods. Generally I can find a name brand on sale at a drugstore for a few dollars and if you are careful with it, which I am not, it can last up to a few months. I am unaware of any homemade floss ideas but definitely would not scrimp on this purchase.