Do You Regard Shopping As A Hobby?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by sunnyside • Jun 16, 2016.

1. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    Do you regard yourself as a shopaholic or do you see shopping as a hobby? I know people who say that shopping puts them in a positive mood. I would say it puts me in a positive mood if I find what I am looking for and also if I can get the things I need at a reasonable price.

I have heard that shopping can have a positive effect on one's emotions. Just being out and about and shopping around, even if only looking at certain items, not necessarily buying them, can give one a positive feeling. Getting good items at a bargain price can also give one a sense of well being and accomplishment.

What are your views on this?

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not a shopaholic and I can be considered an ordinary person when it comes to shopping. However, when I have so many issues running in my mind, I sometimes would find myself in the mall for an unscheduled window shopping that would always culminate in shopping. It seems that buying something, not exactly for myself, gives me the confidence because buying is an act of spending so that means I have something to spend. And when I have money to spend then I am not poor.

It is a psychological game for me but I cannot say shopping is a hobby. Maybe let's call it stress reliever.

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I look at shopping as a necessity not a pleasurable thing. I need something to eat and I can get it at the supermarket and I go shopping for it. I go window shopping to look for things I need or want to get for someone, not as a chore just as a necessity of life going shopping to get things I need.

4. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I am the one who begrudgingly drags herself out to do the shopping. I would almost rather do anything else. This I mean is the weekly chores, like groceries and so forth. Online shopping is more enjoyable. But I always have a specific thing in mind that I need, and I go check out the customer reviews to find out which one I should buy. Then I'm done with it.

5. MissLibby

MissLibbyMember

Threads:
    Shopping usually puts me in a bad mood rather quickly. I really do not like to shop at all, for anything. I'm the type of person who runs into the store to grab whatever I need as fast as I can so I can get out of there. I used to enjoy shopping a little bit more. I don't know why shopping irritates me so much now. Maybe I'm losing my patience as I get older. I think part of it is that I don't like crowds and half the time I can't find what I need anyway. I definitely prefer shopping online.

6. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    There are people filming themselves smashing food and stuff with their own hands and receive millions of view for their videos. There are people that collects foreign candies and taste it in front of a camera, also receiving millions of view in youtube.

Is proven that anything could be regarded as a hobby and even in some cases It becomes a profitable business.Shopping as a hobby is not a exception, I think there are already tons of blogs and youtube videos of
    shopaholics writing post about their experience with daily hunt for sales and curiosity goods.

7. KillerFrost22

KillerFrost22New Member

Threads:
    I agree, shopping can give you a good mood, especially if you can buy things on a lower price.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Shopaholics and everyone who shops to destress as many people will often find that they are spending more money than they should. While yes shopping can make you feel good temporarily the probability of getting hooked and going shopping each time you are stressed will prove be quite costly [literally]. Treat shopping neither as balm for stress nor a hobby because both demand that you have fun whilst spending a lot of money which could be saved and invested.

9. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I do enjoy shopping when I have the money to buy things that I want rather than need, but unfortunately this isn't always an option for me, so a lot of the time I find that it is just something that I have to do rather than an actual hobby. I always enjoyed shopping when I was a child with pocket money to spend and no bills to pay, but the fact of the matter is that things just aren't the same anymore.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is interesting to me that people would consider shopping to be a hobby, when it is just something that I simply have to do to me. A necessity in order to keep clothes on my back, and my cupboards stacked lol. The only thing I enjoy about shopping is when it is over lol. It's definitely not a hobby for me.

11. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    Well as I see it, there are two different kinds of shopping - there is grocery shopping and then there is mall shopping. I regard grocery shopping as a necessity more than a stress reliever or something to look forward to, but it can also be pleasurable if there is extra money available which would allow us to buy extra stuff rather than the usual everyday things that we need. I would say the pleasure part comes after the grocery shopping is over and you have taken the stuff home. Mall shopping on the other hand is a bit different in the sense that it may not always be an absolute necessity. With mall shopping there are things that we may definitely need, but it can also be a time just to look around and buy new stuff that we want thus making it a pleasurable experience provided we do find what we want. It is even more fun if there is a bargain sale on at the mall.

Having said all the above, no shopping experience can be pleasurable if one's budget is low at the time of shopping since a lot more care would have to be taken with regards to what one buys as well as to the price of the items.

12. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I enjoy shopping, although it is not as much fun if you have little to no money to spend. I am not a "window shopping" kind of person, because I find that kind of depressing actually. The reason I enjoy shopping is because it gets me out of the house,,allows me to see what is popular in the world. I find getting bargains to be kind of a rush..I love to find things for less. A good bargain is one of the things that can make me happy.

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do regard shopping as one of my hobbies, and boy, do I love to shop LOL It's one of my absolute favourite things to do, and something I never tire of. I have to admit, whenever I'm shopping, I feel very, very happy. In fact, at one point I'd sometimes go 'comfort shopping', you know get in some retail therapy and I'd perk up. I know people say it jokingly, but it really does make me happy, lifts my mood when I'm down.

14. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Shopping to me is just one of the necessities of life. It's something I go out do whenever I need something.I just do get up go out for things to catch my fancy and then purchase. I plan on getting stuff according to what my resources allows me to.

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    You make some good points in there, for sure. But as far as I am concerned, even the small shopping is an inconvenience for me. Sometimes my friends or siblings will ask me if I want to pop out for a small or window shop. I'll always so no. I don't understand how people can be addicted to or love shopping lol.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well I don't consider shopping as a hobby per se, bidding is more of my hobby, but if I have money to spend on shopping then why not, right? If you can afford to buy things that you don't need then it is certainly a hobby rather than a necessity, since buying does make some people feel good.

17. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I would say the more money I have the more I enjoy shopping. However, since this does not happen a lot, I end up shopping because it is a necessity. There are days I need to go shopping and buy food even though I do not feel like it.
    Sometimes I take my kids with me and most of the time they drive me crazy to the point I just want to leave the store asap and then end up forgetting the things I wanted to get.
    Now maybe if we would have a car it would be more fun because you don't have to walk but then you need money for gas...
    Now when it comes to buying clothes. I like to buy clothes for my kids but hardly find the time to buy myself clothes even if I have the money to do so. In those cases I prefer shopping for my clothes online. It's just more fun for me.

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    Maybe this is what needs to happen for me to be able to enjoy shopping more. When it comes to food, I don't really mind spending money. But when it comes to clothes and actual items that aren't related to other hobbies, then I don't feel good spending the money. it feels like a chore. Maybe because I feel like those things are a waste of money.

19. Sydney M.

Sydney M.Member

Threads:
    Wow! I love to shop, simply because I enjoy browsing around and finding great prices for great items. Nonetheless, I don't think I love it as much as you do. Comfort shopping actually sounds like so much fun... Now I have to try it:p

20. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:

hehe @sidney@sidney, sounds like we should make a shopping date and shop up a storm together tee hee :) There's nothing I enjoy better than shopping with people who enjoy it half as much as I do. Yea, I can certainly agree, I probably enjoy it more than most people LOL You know, I love shopping so much, I can even go out totally broke, and still enjoy a spot of window shopping. My husband thinks that's crazy and I agree with him because if I happen to see many items I'd love to get my hands on but have no money to do so, I get a MASSIVE headache LOL So he always wonders why I knowingly put myself through all that torture, because I almost always find something I like.