Do You Remember To Use Coupons?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Diane Lane • Jan 9, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to clip coupons from the newspapers and magazines, but would then forget to use them when I was checking out. I've gotten somewhat better, especially since I've been shopping more at Kroger and they have e-coupons I can load to my loyalty card. The good part about the e-coupons is that I can load them at home while I'm consciously thinking about my list and what I need to buy.

It's a habit by now to hand the cashier my loyalty card as I start checking out, and the coupons are automatically deducted when the items they apply to are scanned, so once I leave The House, I can go on auto pilot and still save money. But, because the printed coupon required some mental alertness on my part, I still forgot to use it. Yesterday would have been the perfect time for me to use it, because I'd gone slightly over what I'd planned to spend. The coupon is for $3, and is a thank you coupon from a brand, for purchasing several of their products. It would have brought down the cost to just about exactly what I had planned to spend, but I totally forgot about it until I got home.

Am I the only one with this issue? I guess next time, i need to write 'USE COUPON' on my shopping list, perhaps that will remind me to hand the coupon to the cashier. I know at some stores the cashiers ask if you have any coupons or other discounts, but they don't where I usually shop, although apparently I could use that extra prompt.

2. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I used to be near religious about grocery store coupons. Then, more than a decade ago, several things changed. When my now ex moved in, he would put in his .02 about shopping at stores that accepted coupons. Shortly after, I accidentally tossed my coupon keeper in the dumpster. I replaced it but it's hard to get back on track.

3. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I grew up watching my mom using coupons, so you'd think it would be easier for me to get accustomed to @jneanz@jneanz. I did buy myself a pretty little coupon organizer several years back, stuffed it with coupons, then promptly forgot it every time I went shopping. Nowadays, i stuff them into my change purse or the side pockets of my bag. I remember with things that are expensive, such as cat litter, but forget with the lower cost items. I've some sort of mental block, it seems, and have adjusted over the years to buy more store brands and generic items, to compensate for my lack of coupons. I definitely want to remember to use the $3 off one next time I'm at Kroger, though, since that could mean buying something I don't usually get. I agree, it's really hard to get back on track once a habit is broken.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    This happens to me from time to time and sometimes I don't even remember to bring it if it is a printed coupon because I'm kind of scatterbrained enough as it is and sometimes I have to hurry and leave the house for one reason or another. I also attribute it mostly to me not using printed coupons all that regularly so it's never an automatic thing for me to think of bringing my coupons along when leaving, but these days I'm a lot calmer and I find that helps a lot in keeping me more alert with concerns to things I should remember.

5. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I try to use coupons when I remember to. It has been very nice to look up coupons on my phone when I don't remember the paper version. Then I have to hope the phone acts right long enough to use the coupon sometimes. I know some people will collect sales paper from others so they can have extra coupons. Just try to put it in a place where you are likely to find it.

6. Diane Lane

Threads:
    @DrRipley@DrRipley that's a good point. I tend to get sensory overload when I enter a store, especially a large and loud one such as Walmart Supercenter, but it even sometimes happens if I'm in a larger grocery store, particularly if it's crowded. As soon as I walk in, my mind goes blank. I sometimes even get a physiological reaction such as sweating or nausea. Around Christmas, I was getting migraines every time I stepped into a store...most of which were grocery stores, since I do a lot of holiday cooking. I agree, it helps for me to do some relaxation exercises first, and also to be organized and keep the coupons in a familiar place @Jasmine2015@Jasmine2015.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    This happens to me too especially when the place is very crowded which is why I try to schedule my showing during the mornings if I can help it. By afternoon places are usually already packed or at the very least just noisy and crowded but for the first few hours before lunch stores are actually very calm and serene so I try to do my shopping around that time if I can. If not then I'd also consider going very late at night but it don't like the mood then that much either because it feels a bit too tired.

8. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I do good with traditional coupons, the kind you clip from magazines and newspapers. It is the digital coupons that I forget to use because I forget to load them to my rewards card, and then I forget what is on card to use them. I am a visual person, so it is much easier for me to use the ones I clip out. They stay right next to my grocery list so I do not forget to use them as much.

9. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't usually forget to use coupons if I have them...but my trouble is finding the one I need when I am in the store. I will think I have it with me and then find it in the car...or I leave it at home or something. I hate the ones that require you to buy two or three of something, because I rarely buy two or three of anything, and if it is a namebrand product it is more expensive in the first place.

10. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I feel like I go in phases with my use of coupons, where I will go all out and save a lot of money and then completely forget about them and wait until I realize that I was just wasting money until I begin to use them again. I think that having a good schedule for clipping and using them is helpful and getting into a routine is never a bad thing for someone like me.

11. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I usually remember to use them although I have to agree that the coupons you can load to loyalty cards are the easiest ones to remember. The cashier usually asks if you've got a loyalty card, so therefore they automatically get deducted from your bill when it's swiped. I find I always remember to check those before I go to the store as well, whereas I do sometimes forget about grabbing the physical coupons.

I also find that if I'm paying with a card I'll forget about the coupons, whereas if I pay cash I usually remember. I'm not sure why, as I don't keep the coupons in with the cash.

12. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    When I first got married and when my kids were very little I used to cut and use coupons as much as possible. I was always on the hunt for diaper coupons and baby wipe coupons. They were quite easy to find and even my colleagues would cut them out and give them to me. If I could buy the diapers on sale and use the coupon I could save up to $5-7 per bag of diapers. I keep an envelope in my purse and I put coupons in there. If I don't use them immediately I find I forget about them and then they expire. My favourite are coupons that give you an item for free. I use those immediately. I usually wait until the product that I have coupon for goes on sale and then I use the coupon. You get double the savings then.

13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:It happened to me once forgetting coupons to use. Then from that day I got into the habit to look at my wallet when I check out for cards and coupons. This way I get to have my card ready say for Walgreens, Safeway and other stores and I check my coupon slot in my wallet. I found keeping my coupons in my wallet saves me time and space in my purse which comes in handy for I ride the bus and light is best when riding the bus. It helps a lot when you put your coupons in your wallet by your cards and best of all you get to use that handy coupon and save money!

14. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    Honestly, there has to be something really major going on in my life for me to forget coupons. I rarely forget to use my loyalty cards, use my digital coupons or paper ones, and fill out my rebates. When it comes to saving some money, I'm on top of this issue.

15. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I used to be so bad about using coupons that I would just not use them. Now I have to be more conscious of the money I spend and am trying to save money for a move, I have been a lot better about using them. I have a nice hefty stack of coupons that I have printed out and have been good at remembering that I have them. I remember when my parents would have to go to the grocery store and they would have their list and sort through the coupons they had to match with the list. I should be better about that since I grew up that way but then maybe that is why I am so bad about it. But I will keep trying and maybe through repetition I will automatically present the cashier with the coupons before they ask me.

16. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    It is hard to get into the habit, but I am now very organised and always order my coupons in a way that means that I am able to see what I have for which shop, and therefore I am much less likely to forget about them. It is always worth being organised when it comes to coupons, as this means that you can save as much money as possible, which is always good as it can be used for something better in the future.