Do you rent or buy video games ?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by Scottie • Mar 20, 2014.

1. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    At the moment I prefer to buy them so that whenever I feel like playing the game again, I simply go to my storage and take it out. I think buying is much easier than renting although with renting you can be sure to save on money.

2. Magicman94

Magicman94Member

Threads:
    I prefer buying my games, but typically buy them either a few months to a year after release or get them used. A $60 game at release can often be found for $20 brand new just a year after release.

3. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't rented a game since the start of the ps2 era. Gamefly never appealed to me a whole lot, I'd rather just buy a game, play it for several months and focus on that. Steam is so cheap nowadays too that its incredibly easy to build up a big backlog of games, I see no point in renting.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I buy my video games because there are no places to rent them here. If there were, I'd definitely opt to just rent my video games instead for the same reasons you stated. I'm not into collecting so there's not much reason for me to buy physical copies of games especially since I'm opposed to clutter so the less I have to deal with, the better. The only thing I dislike about renting is that I feel like I'm forcing myself sometimes to play even when I'm not in the mood just because I'm nearing a deadline, but it's a minor gripe.

5. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I like to buy games as opposed to renting them. A lot of times I've found myself wanting to play games I used to own and that are more expensive now. So I decided to never sell a game I enjoyed.

Renting games instead of buying them makes it harder for me to keep games I love, and I would miss the feeling of opening a brand new game.

6. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on how long you're going to be playing on them for. If it's the type of game that you could play on forever and never complete then I would buy it, however if I am going to be done with it in a week or so, and never want to play it again, I would rent it - because there's no point in having something lying around your house when you're not going to use it. It's all about working out the value of the purchase, and deciding what's going to be best for you.

7. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    I pretty much only buy them. I play video games too sporadically to make renting a viable option, I'd rather have access whenever I want. I'll occasionally end up renting a game from a Redbox, but not often. However, it's not like I'm buying video games very often anyway.

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I very very rarely rent out video games. I don't play video games as much as I used to either, now that I am 25. I will usually buy video games if I really want one. I should rent them first though in order to try them out. That way, if I don't like the game, then I have not just wasted in excess of £50 buying it.

9. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    I used to rent all the time, but now I don't really have the option anymore. There are no video stores near me. You can get some games so cheaply these days that I'd just as soon buy 'em anyway. (Though, in fairness, I spend more time playing indie titles than big name games, and they often cost less than ten bucks apiece.)

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you are sure a video game is good then the better option would be to buy the game. Better still if you have friends who are gamers, you could buy different games [which you'll all enjoy playing] and do some swapping when the game you bought starts to bore you but it shouldn't if you buy a game that has great replay value.

That said, I don't buy video games any more. If I want to play a new game, I'll get a free PC game.

11. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Agreed, Denis. I don't buy games anymore either. You can even get your Nintendo DS console chipped to where you don't have to buy games. You can just go online and download the games that you want onto the chipped SD card and insert it into your Nintendo DS console. Same with PC games. I haven't paid for a game in years.