Do you repurpose items to save money?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Pocs • Jul 30, 2012.

1. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    Everyone more than likely saves the plastic grocery bags nowadays and using them for all sorts of things. I did until I changed to reusable ones. But how about other items? What items do you repurpose to save money or make things a little easier in your daily life?

2. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Re-purpose? I think the only item which I have re-purposed regularly would be my bath towel. It would start life as a bath towel, of course. As it gets more and more threadbare, it will eventually be cut up into smaller pieces and used as rags.

3. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    I was thinking a little more in-depth than that. Using galloon jugs for watering plants and animals, shoe boxes for storage, old binders for coupons organizer and so on. Maybe it's just me, I'm a bit frugal, believe in keeping it green and love to save a buck when I can.

4. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I stopped buying garbage bags about a year ago, saving me about $100 a year! Can you believe that? I don't have that much garbage, so I just use the plastic bags I get when I buy things at the stores. It saves me money, and I don't have to carry out large heavy trash bags at the end of the day.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use the gallon milk to water the plant outside, line the trash cans with the grocery bags, the toilet paper rolls help to keep the extension cords under control. I like to save money and reuse as much as I can.

6. professionaltightwad

professionaltightwadMember

Threads:
    I am frugal, too, and if I can think of a way to re-use something, I do. Store bags go in the little trash bins in the bedrooms and baths. I use cardboard egg cartons for seed starting, for paint pots when I'm crafting, and even as a craft material. The more you re-purpose, the more money you save and the more waste you keep out of the landfill. To me, that's a win-win for everyone involved.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I repurpose the grocery store bags. If I forgot my reusable bag, I will take a paper bag. I also re-purpose my take out containers. They are pretty sturdy. I reuse them as storage containers. I reuse shoe boxes too.

8. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I always keep my grocery store bags in a drawer in the kitchen. It saves time and money when I need to transport/carry something to give away when I can't/forget to use a reusable bag.

9. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    We try to eliminate creating waste in the first place (in as much as we can) as so much waste is simply created as packaging. So, first thing is buying no packaged fruits and vegetables...which saves the earth and as a result, also money (prepackaged veg is often more expensive and less quality).

All waste from our perishables goes into a compost heap and feeds the vegetables and plants that we grow. We reuse all glass jars and bottles for homemade juice, jam, cheeses and yogurts. Styrofoam gets cut up and used to make heating bags for fermenting certain foods (like a homemade wonderbag that they sell online). Shoe boxes are used for storage, our pets and a few other things. Lastly, that I can think of...cans get used to plant herbs in and to make solar heaters (along with boxes).

We have very little waste as if we do not take heed...plastic sh!t will overtake us on the planet. That is all I can think of...but it goes on, living sustainably is what we are trying hard to do!

10. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    Yes! I absolutely love re-purposing things. I do it all the time. Here is an example at my new blog

11. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:

Same here. Once my bath towels or wash-cloths lose their luster and become what people would call "raggedy", I just start using them to clean the windows or something. I do hold on to bags to use as garbage bags sometimes though. If I run out of garbage bags at home? I'll use a large baskin n' robbins or discount store bag as a trash can bag to tide me over, until I pick up some hefty garbage bags at the store.