Do you repurpose old clothes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Mar 31, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One way to save good money on clothes would be by re-purposing them. If your jeans get frayed around the knees, do you throw them away?

You shouldn't.

Just cut them up and transform them into shorts which you can wear around The House, to the beach, etc. I even hear that some women can. by cutting their tshirt sleeves and doing some fancy needlework make a mini-skirt.

Do any of you re-purpose your clothes to save money?

2. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    You are absolutely right. I'm an artsy person andI never throw them away.
    I always find ways to jazz up my old and outdated clothes.
    I crop up old tattered jeans, patch them up and revamp them.
    I also paint over, old sneakers and stained shirts.
    I make old t-shirts into tank tops which is a summer staple.

3. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    No. I don't sew and am not crafty when it comes to clothes, so I just throw them out. I don't spend enough money on my clothes in the first place to even justify putting the time and effort into revamping them. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and throw something out. Clothes are meant to wear out.

4. Qualitycontent

QualitycontentMember

Threads:
    I find it hard to throw things away. I try to put something decorative on my older clothes so they look more colorful or pretty. I also make rag rugs out of them or quilts. It is so much fun seeing the rugs and blankets develop. Sometimes I will sew my clothes in a different style also, or use them for crafts.

5. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    I have always done the jeans where you cut them off at the knee and turn them into shorts. However that's about as far as I go when turning clothes into different clothes. I like to collect old clothes and turn them into stuffed animals. I remove all the buttons and add them to my collection, which is something my mother has done for years. I have a very large button collection currently which I use to make stuffed animals eyes, noses and anything else I can think of.

6. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not good at sewing or other clothing modifications so I just donate them. Sure, if I'd be able to repurpose them I'd save some money on clothes but I'm not gonna learn sewing just to do that :) Some old clothes I keep and wear around the house or when working in the garden but that's it. Let someone else use the clothes, someone who needs them. I also buy second-hand mostly so there's no need to worry about my old clothes, they were already old when I bough them :p

7. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I usually give my clothes to a family member or friend or I donate my clothes to charity, thinking that someone could benefit from them.

If I had a little more crafty in me, I would try! Maybe I should still try. I do have a couple of friends who are very crafty, so I will have to suggest that they do this!

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I stitch my clothes together for as long as they will hold, but sometimes I think it's just easier to go down to the thrift shop and by something new for $4-$5. Most opportunity stores have a section of clothes that have never or hardly been worn. That's where I find my bargains and treasures.

9. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    When all has been done to the used and repurposed garment and it's already full of holes and tears, you can still remove the buttons before finally turning them into rags. Collect these buttons in a jar and use these to repair other clothes, to seal pillow cases, for crafts, toys, or anything else you can think of. I personally love to use these buttons for sealing pillowcases. Now all my pillow cases have buttons and I need not worry about waking in the morning with naked pillows.

10. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I don't do it myself but I do ask my mother, when my jeans are getting the part near the foot torn, I turn them into shorts; I do the same with long-sleeved shirts, once the cuffs start to get worn or scuffed, I turn them into short-sleeved shirts :)
    I also patch up any holes that might appear on jeans though, it happens especially in the back pocket where I keep my wallet.

11. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think I've ever repurposed old clothes, but that's because once I stop wearing them I donate them to a homeless shelter, to me it makes me feel much better to help someone in need than repurposing them, even though I would save some money.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do this but I tend not to put much effort into it. If I knew how I'd probably try and transform them into other clothing item types but since I lack the skills I just downgrade them to something that won't be too noticeable even if I do it badly. For example I'd probably just turn them into rags or use them for DIY lamps or something, and most of the time I actually just turn them into bandanas because I like wearing a headband on my head and if the cloth design is good I tend to not want to waste them.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, not really, although they do get "repurposed" by using them as rags when they get too worn out to be worn, or if the garter doesn't cling as tight as it used to be.

14. Grace Simmons

Grace SimmonsNew Member

Threads:
    Yes I repurpose old clothes because according to me, nothing in this world is useless.

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I repurpose old clothes into rags, I first remove buttons and zippers or any other item on the garment I can use like the waistband. If the item just needs a repair from a tear I will attempt to fix that so that it can be worn or I will just donate it to the Goodwill.

16. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I do repurpose clothes. I'll use the material to make something else if possible, but if there's really no way to repurpose them like that then I'll either let the dogs play with it until it's beyond broken and needs to be thrown out or use it as rags. I use old socks especially for the dogs as they love playing with them. Other clothes that can be reused like shirts for example I'll sometimes turn into cushion covers or use the material to make children's clothes or doll clothes. I repurpose my old bedding to make curtains, table cloths or dog beds as well.