Do you resharpen your disposable shavers?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by True2marie • Aug 15, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I saw a segment on a talk show that gave advice on how to save money on disposable shavers. These items can be resharpened by rubbing the bladed side up and down against a towel or pair of jeans. I tried doing it and this method works. Since I am a hairy female, learning this money-saving trick has been helpful.

hqdefault.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, I did not know you could re-sharpen the blade on the disposables. I will be using this on my blades soon. I wish I had know this sooner as I just dumped a bunch of blades some of them were good I am sure.

3. maddie619

maddie619New Member

Threads:
    This is awesome! I never knew you could sharpen disposables on jeans. Now a days, it costs an arm and a leg to buy razors, even the cheap ones that rust after a week or two. Being a hairy female as well I shall be sure to try this trick when my razor becomes dull again. I'm surprised denim can actually sharpen razors. I would think that it would just dull them even more. It must be the grain of the denim or something. I wish I could have implemented this trick sooner after years of wasted disposable blades that are probably just dumped in landfills. Being the hippie that I am, I never liked shaving much. But hey, now my razors should be practically free if I can keep reusing them with the denim trick. That's one plus side of shaving!

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have very sensitive skin and can never use a razor more than once no matter how sharp it is after I use it once. So for me, I buy a disposable razor, use it once and get rid of it. Then I let my beard grow for a month or two. It's not just about the money. It's the itch which follows that's makes me avoid shaving frequently. Either way I save money because I don't buy another razor for a long time.

5. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    Whoa, I never knew you could actually resharpen them. I'll definitely be trying this out because I seem to be going through them like wild-fire and I think this could save me a lot of money. I'll probably be trying it on a towel though because with my luck I'll ruin a pair of perfectly good jeans (I don't think I really have any old ones laying around at the moment)

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    No, I don't.

Then again, I don't usually buy disposable ones anyway. I spend a little more and get ones that I can simply replace the heads every so often. I guess I could try sharpening them, but I'm not sure it's worth the time.

7. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Hmm, not really worth the time for me. Disposable razors are cheap enough and I just buy them in bulk at Costco for a good price. I like saving money as much as the next person, but there are just some items that are cheap enough where it's just not worth the time. And buying disposable razors in bulk last long enough and are cheap enough that you really don't need to get extended life out of them

8. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I only buy the razors where you replace the blade, if this is even the correct term, every few uses. I wonder if this method works for that style razor as well? This is an interesting concept and almost too good to be true. I can't really figure out how this works because I would think the towel or denim would actually clog the razor.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    This has never even crossed my mind and I always just throw them away once they have gotten used up enough. I do feel kind of bad whenever they get dull enough so I tend to try and maximize it as much as I can which isn't always that effective so this would really help a lot. Thanks for sharing this tidbit, it's really one of the items that I always hated wasting so this will be very useful to me.

10. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    Wow I never thought of this idea. I've only ever used a few razors, but I think next time I'll try your idea before discarding it. Thanks for the tip though, I'm sure you've saved at least a few people (like me) from paying more for razors than we should be.

11. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    No, I do not resharpen disposable blades. To be honest, its never crossed my mind. I have tons and tons of disposable shaver packs from back when I couponed heavily. I want to say I have a good 150 packs. One pack of razors last me a month and that's with me using the razors 2-3 times each. I even have enough stocked up that my husband uses them as well.

12. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For people that don't have sensitive skin and need to watch their expenses, then this is the perfect solution. It does indeed work, although plenty of people will find the shave quality to be subpar once the blades have been resharpened on a disposable razor. I don't do this myself. It's simply easier and more beneficial to go out and buy new razors when the need arises.

13. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    From a hygiene point of view I would rather dispose and buy a new one. If you don't use razors often then this would be fine, but sometimes it's not worth the risk if a blunt razor doesn't work as it usually happens when you least expect it. Without sounding gross, it is better to have fresh blades as bacteria can build up and as you are touching open skin, that's when infections can happen.

14. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I used to. But then I realized that it's just a waste of time. It's also damaging my skin. I prefer to buy more disposables now. They are not that expensive anyway.

15. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    No. I don't resharpen disposable razors. I did not know that this was even possible. Razors, whether disposable or not, are very expensive here. It is an interesting concept, but I am not sure that I will be trying it. I do not have to use a razor very much. So, one usually lasts me a long time, but this is good information for those who go through razors rather quickly.

16. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh my God. I actually didn't know that you could resharpen the blades to your past shavers lol. As a woman, I find that it is best to just buy new shavers. I buy disposable shavers anyway. They come in packets of four or five. I will use one for a certain amount of time, and then throw it away, because of hygiene reasons. Merely sharpening the blade and reusing the blade seems like it would be very unsanitary to me.