Do You Reuse Containers?

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by remnant • Aug 20, 2016.

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I once made a habit of saving every useable container that I had. Pretty soon every spare space I had was full of cottage cheese containers, juice bottles, and other types of containers. I thought I might need them some day and it is true, some have come in handy. But that whole business got way out of control. Now I keep only the ones that I know I have a use for. My favorite being wide-mouth plastic jars. There are a lot of uses for those. And I've reclaimed my house in the process.

2. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't say that the containers have a certain ambience as the ones I seem to get are either just plastic or foil. I do reuse them though. The foil I use for making little pies and quiches, and the plastic containers I keep and use at parties to put nuts and crisps into. I save all my empty glass jars to fill with my home-made pickles and jam and if something has a nice bottle I would use it again. I had a mini bottle of mateus which has a lovely shape bottle which I recycled as an olive oil holder to put beside my bathtub.

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, always!! sometimes I even buy something mostly for the packaging, because I plan on reusing later. For example, I got maybe 4 or 5 jellos because they came in the CUTEST glass cup. The jello itself was fine, but I use the cups to this day.

4. AntonioCalcano

AntonioCalcanoNew Member

Threads:
    It depends on the type of container and the type of thing that I'll be storing in it but for the most part I have to say yes, I normally store most of my container to reuse it later, specially if they're made of glass. I don't like plastic containers unless they're sturdy.

5. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I am good at reusing containers. It has been of economic benefits to me. There are local food items I process myself, I normally use containers from the packaged products I bought earlier that I have exhausted to preserve the ones I processed. Most of the empty containers I use are those from medical items and beverages.

6. Gallade

GalladeNew Member

Threads:
    I do, and I clean it all over before reusing it

7. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I do that all the time. For example the large yogurt tubs are useful to store my sugar in and the glass coffee containers are great for salt. There are many DIY projects one can create when reusing containers. Some may even be used for storage in your room but must get a good wash first of course.

8. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I have to admit that I'm guilty of not recycling maybe as often as I should do, and that includes re-using containers for other purposes. If the container as had food in there though, even if you wash it out you can still sometimes smell what product as been in there and I think that puts me off more than anything.

My partner is a teacher though, teaching primary school children so she more than makes up for me not recycling because it seems that every Monday morning she sets off to school with a car boot full of tins, bottles and containers that they can use for activities!

9. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I reuse new plastic and glass containers I got from purchasing other products but I see to it that these products are clean and free from BPA. After using these products for about 2 to 3 months I replace them with new containers and sell the old ones because if not, they'll just pile up inside the house.

10. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the container, I usually only save glass jars and a couple tubs (like sour cream) at a time (for craft projects, etc.). I use the glass jars for grease jars, and sometimes storing things. I do reuse plastic ziploc bags, becasue I use a lot in freezing, and I find them wasteful to just toss after one use, usually the plastic bags I use in the freezer are for things I always have on hand so I reuse them for the same thing, I usually do not reuse ones I have used for meat other then hamburger because I wrap portions(2) in butcher paper and then put them all in a big bag to freeze.

11. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do.
    Most of my contains are made of glass and tin which are reusable. I avoid plastic containers, especially for storing food items. While buying storing stuffs, I always keep in mind to get reusable items. In that way we can at least make a small contribution to the environment in our small way. However, I use steel containers for the kitchen where glass is not a good option as they are prone to breakage.

12. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Some commodities are sold with a package that's not firm enough to serve as good containers. For example when I buy granulated sugar they normally come in polythene bags which are not strong enough as containers for long keep. What I normally do I get the container from already used milk cup/can to keep the sugar.

13. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I reuse most of the containers for storing my ration. However, I reserve some for a mini-waste container while cleaning and cutting veggies for daily use. I change these frequently so most often I use small containers like ice cream containers for this purpose. To me brand realky doesn't matter as long as it serves the purpose.

14. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I use the Jumex glass bottles and the can bottles with a bottle top. They look nice and with the can bottle, liquid becomes cold a lot faster than in any other container. A one-liter bottle of Snapple-quality juice is only around 79 cents! It's great! Free containers as well.

15. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    We usually just reuse ice cream containers and jam jars before. They get used when giving away cooked food, and the recipients don't even need to return those containers to us anymore. Nowadays, those peanut butter or jam jars get thrown away, maybe because the microwavable containers are more convenient to use when giving away food.

16. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    I have a thing for black or clear plastic salad bowls.

You know when you order a big salad from a pizza place, or any restaurant for that matter, and you get that big plastic bowl that is usually see-through or black....I like to wash them and save them. They can be used as water bowls for my pets, or even food bowls, or if I ever get the ambition to make my own salad, I would definitely put the whole thing in there and then use the lid to keep it covered and fresh. They always come with those air-tight lids.

17. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I normally do this especially when the container is adorable just what like you have mentioned. I don't have any particular brand of containers that I reuse though. I reuse them as long as I like the design and if it still can be use. I usually reuse plastic jars and glass containers, as well as shampoo containers that has pump design since they look cute and elegant.

18. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My wife is good at discovering a reuse on almost every container made of plastic, steel or glass. She use them for storing various pulses, spices, tea, sugar and almost everything that we buy loose. You would be surprised to note that she has developed a beautiful rooftop garden using bigger containers filling them with garden earth and has used even poly packs for growing vegetables and flowers.

19. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is not only the attractive containers that we save but anything that can be reused. Plastic bags of all kinds are folded and kept for future reuse. Big plastic bags can be used as trash bags. We have an assortment of plastic box food containers that are good for bringing food to the office. With bottles, jars and even vials, we do not throw away at once. It is like we have our own recycling center in our backyard.

20. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Nowadays the container or package of an item is designed to be reused or to recycle for any other practical use. That is one of the business marketing techniques for every business entities to make their products saleable. Here in our place, you could see inside the school campuses several plastic containers big or small are being reused as a flower pot, correspondence holder, and the like. Every student is required to submit one or two plastic receptacle as his project.