Do You Reuse Soda Bottles And Other Reusable Containers?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by moneymania • Oct 27, 2016.

1. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I noticed that my dad doesn't use our old Tupperwares anymore to store fish and meat in the freezer, and he now uses ice cream containers for that purpose. He also reuses the used bottles of Gatorade to store water on it. When I was living on my own, I used to use those large bottles of soda, the 1.5 and 2 liter ones to store water on it as well. So I'm wondering if you tend to reuse those kinds of containers as well? I think it eliminates the need to buy any kind of Tupperware or drinking storage to be used inside the ref if you just recycle those items. Of course, those plastic bottles can't replace regular drinking glasses, but it's perfect for storing water in the ref. Do you reuse such containers?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We also use empty containers for storing. Big soda bottles are good storage of rain water that we use for irrigation of the garden. We have a water dispenser so we do not put drinking water in the fridge anymore. For the plastic containers, we have a lot in the stock room. They come in handy when we need to bring food to the office.

3. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We did use the plastic containers for a long time, but what invariably happened was the lids would get lost, and I could find all kinds of bottoms and all kinds of lids, and NONE of them would fit together.
    Finally, I just started throwing away any container that didn't have a lid, and any lids that didn't fit anything, and then I ordered a cheap set of stackable containers from Amazon. The lids all fit together and stack on top of the bottoms, and I keep them put away in the back storage room, so they don't get lost somewhere in the kitchen like happened to the other storage containers.
    So far this is working really well. Since I got them at a close out price, they really didn't even cost a whole lot.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is advised that you shouldn't reuse plastic bottles, as it does state that on the bottle. However, people do, but I think a few times is okay or occasionally, but not on a daily basis. There is apparently risks of toxic poisoning.

I do reuse plastic containers for leftovers, or glass jars.I try not to have too many leftovers, but I don't like to waste food, so keep it to a minimum.

5. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do and I find it to be a good method to save money. I use yogurt tubs to store some sugar in, I even use them as regular cups some times. I don't reuse soda cans but I do recycle them for a few extra bucks. I use soda bottles to keep some water in the fridge.

6. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    I do reuse the plastic bottles depending on the embedded recycle number. I always follow what is written on this article:

7. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Good piece of information right there @biege@biege, the embedded recycle number is very important to realize if it's safe to reuse the bottle or not.

As for other containers, I reuse a lot of them because they have quality plastic and they are free. For example, ice cream containers replace Tupperware easily and they are equally good.

8. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    The links posted seem to be contradicting. One encouraged people to use plastic bottles, while the other one discouraged people from using it. I tend to think that maybe plastic bottles can be harmful, but the effect is minimal to us, since we wouldn't even be as healthy as we are now if they were that risky. We have been drinking from them since time immemorial, come to think of it.

9. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Now that I think of it @moneymania@moneymania, I recall that when I was younger I used to drink a whole lot more tap water than plastic bottled water. The issue is that we need to see how many times we can reuse those bottles (that's indicated at the bottom of the bottle) because if we respect that we will be fine.

10. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't know that. Thank you for pointing that out to me, I just took a look at all the Powerade bottles my dad has in the ref, and they all had numbers in the bottom of the bottle. They all range from 130 to 191 times, so that's quite a reasonable amount of time to be reused.

11. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you @to7update@to7update. People don't really pay attention to these numbers because they're not really aware of what they mean. So the best thing we an do is to share the ideas to others. I guess, this is the reason why I like this forum. To be honest, I've been using ice cream containers as my everyday receptacle for a bunch of different stuff--you don't have to pay for those expensive resin containers anymore with this. :D

12. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I just noticed that not all bottles have that number in the bottom of the container. I took a look at Gatorade bottles, and they don't seem to have those numbers on the bottom of the bottle. I think the manufacturers aren't aware of that number thing yet, or they purposely didn't bother to mark them.

13. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I donot reuse soda bottles however I reuse plastic containers for kitchen purpose.

I usually avoid using glass bottles as I am afraid of breaking them.

14. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    That's true and I was only aware of that just recently as a co-worker mentioned it to me. There is a lot of important information that we simply don't know about! As for ice cream containers, whenever I return from my in-laws, we always bring them filled with food! :D

15. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    In my case, I just got curious about those numbers and what they mean, so I Googled them and Wah-lah I got a good answer!
    You're so like me my friend, whenever I visit our relative's place I always take home a lot of Ice cream containers filled with assorted foods. This is a very good example of being resourceful. :D

16. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    It is very economical and practical to reuse bottles for water storage. However, it is not advisable to reuse plastic bottles for they are hazardous to the health of the human. According to study, plastics with symbols 2, 4, and 5 are the safest. While symbols 3, 6, and 7 are ought to be avoided and though umber 1 is considered safe, but it is also best to avoid it.

These recycle symbols could be seen on the label of the said plastic bottle. Take a good look of them from this screenshot:

recycle symbols to be aware of.

17. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I'm looking at another plastic bottle right now, it's Sting, and there seems to be no number for it as well. So I assume that bottle is not safe to reuse? Because it should have at least a number classification, right?

18. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    It's one of the advantages of having a generous family that cares about us. :)

Back to those containers, I do wonder how can Tupperware producers and other brands still survive with this competition. I am guessing quite a few people simply don't want to use this containers, but I have no issues with that at all.

19. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    There are some containers that are really good and it would be a waste not to reuse them so I do that. As it relates to bottles, I don't normally reuse soda bottles but I will reuse water bottles occasionally. No one will ever know that, the water in them wasn't bought ;)

20. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    That's the thing, it's complicated for me to throw away something in perfectly good condition that I can give a use to and that's the case of many plastic containers.

As for water bottles I reuse them all the time, I refill them a few times and I when I see the plastic is starting to get damaged I throw them away.