Do you ride the subway for free?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Colebra • Sep 4, 2014.

1. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I do it all the time here in Portugal :cool:
    It's pretty easy, because most of the subway's track is not underground, in the city where I live.
    I end up saving about 40$, and I go wherever I want. I do have to always be on the lookout though...

Who's riding the subway for free? Confess now, or repente for ever.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, because the fine is not worth it. I usually have a pre paid card so the fare is deducted before I board. The bus is free only when the card reader is broken and the driver waves you through, but I don't think deliberately traveling by dodging fares is a good thing to do.

A friend of mine used to do it because he had no money and I have had friends who have been caught with the wrong ticket. Fare dodging is a prosecutable offence in the UK so it is not encouraged.

3. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    No, because we don't really have many Subways here in Ireland. The only ones I know of are in the big cities like Dublin & Cork. I don't think its really possible to ride them for free in this country, but then again I have never tried so who knows!

4. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    No, I have only ever regularly ridden the subways in New York and I never learned how to do it for free unless you were to jump the turn style that allows you to enter once you insert your ticket. There are always so many people around unless the train had just arrived, its doors had just opened, and you could leap like an Olympian into the car without anyone catching you - I do not think it would be possible to take a ride for free more than once or twice. And my heart would be racing so fast at the fear of getting caught, I don't think it would be worth it to do it on a regular basis.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a special monthly pass for the subway which even let's me ride to every zone of my city. I rely on the metro for getting to my work place, as well as to every other place that I need to go. So, there is no point in skipping any ticket fees. Also, I doubt that I would get past all the security cameras without being caught, and dealt a hefty fine.

6. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I live in the US and have taken the subway in several large cities. I have never seen a way to take it for free because you always pay with some sort of token or pass before you even get to the boarding platform. If it was legitimately free I would love it because I can spend up to $100/month on public transportation, but I figure it is better for the environment and cheaper than driving my car everywhere so I can't really complain.

7. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think this kind of stuff is worth it, not to mention that it's illegal.
    You might save $40 a month but how much is the fine if you get caught? At least three times that I bet, definitely not worth it.

8. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    There's no subway where I'm from, only the Metro (elevated trains) though they usually offer free rides on certain special holidays. :D And about getting free rides.. I wouldn't risk anything to get free rides illegally. I just think it's not worth the trouble. :rolleyes:

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yeah, you can't really do it in the US.

In many places in Canada, I saw people get on the trains without tickets and they would only get in trouble if there happened to be traffic cops on the other side, checking tickets. Most times, though, you could hop on and off without paying. I never did, though, because I was afraid of getting caught and having to pay a heavy fine.