Do You Save Money By Re Using Tea Bags?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Ke Gordon • Aug 25, 2016.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know my mother used to re use tea bags when I was a kid. I was recently staying with my sister, and I noticed little shriveled lumps of tea bags. She said she re uses them. I wonder how many times?? :pAnyway, I will ocassionally re use a tea bag..but not too often, as they seem less flavorful then the first time around for sure. What about you? Do you get more than one use out of a tea bag?

2. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well I do, but not as much as others do probably. It also depends, and it if is my nightly chamomile tea then I have no business reusing those, because I need my sleep and I need that chamomile. But, if I am making iced tea and using the simple black tea or green tea bad, then certainly I reuse those. I usually put one or two fresh one in, but leave the old ones in there and I end up with the same tasting tea, and save some money. Interesting stuff, and thanks for sharing.

3. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I have reused tea bags before but usually within the same day. I do the same think with coffee to if I want to make two pots in on day ill just add half the normal amount to the used grounds, and it taste fine. But ya I only reuse them on the same day, then they get recycled to the compost pile!

4. Ke Gordon

Threads:
    Yes, I mean after a while they totally lose their flavor. Teabags don't really cost that much in the first place. I think one or at the most two uses would be the maximum if you really want to get some flavor out of it. I just think it is one of choices that people make, but it probably doesn't taste very good after awhile. It might be better to get a better price on the bags in the first place.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I reuse my teabags and tea for 3 days. I use green tea, a pinch of dried bitter melon and my homegrown broad leaf plantain that I grow and dry myself. We love to save money, so 3 days we reuse them. The last day is like hot water, but we still drink it and save money. Then I put the tea bad on my face for it's that time of being aged when little aches and bulges comes out, so I tap it on under my eyes for ridding myself of bags there and I got bursitis so I tap it on my shoulders and back and it works wonders as an anti inflammatory agent as well!

6. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I use one tea bag to make the entire round of tea at home, so everyone there will get the one tea bag. Other than that though they then go onto my compost heap, so I suppose they're then reused a while down the road for fertilising my plants. I tend to buy really cheap tea bags anyway though, so I don't like to reuse them too many times. The flavor isn't always great the first time around but I actually don't mind it too much.

7. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    Before stumbling upon this thread, I had never heard of reusing teabags.I recycle tea bags but don't reuse them. I use the tea bags (when cooled) on my eyes. It eases eye pain and gives relaxation to the eyes. I also use tea bags as fertilizer to my plants.
    I have a question for those reusing tea bags. Does it taste like the one when you use first?

8. GreenPersimmon

GreenPersimmonMember

Threads:
    I will continue to reuse a tea bag until it either stops flavoring the water or the bag falls apart. With really good tea, I can get three uses out of it with good quality tea. Cheap tea barely gets a second use because the flavor is so weak. The secret to using tea bags more than once, is to go for a medium color and then take the bag out. Don't let the bag soak while you're drinking your tea, unless it's cheap tea that can't be reused. I find that oolong and black tea tends to be better for reuse while green teas almost disappear the second time around. I don't use tea bags over multiple days because they might get moldy and make me sick.

9. Aree Wongwanlee

Aree WongwanleeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do. I drink green tea everyday. It's Yerba Mate from Argentina. One sachet can make a strong tea with 1.5 liters of hot water. A second round would produce a light tea. A third round would be just slightly flavored water. So I only re-use my tea bags once. Then it's time to start another round with a new tea bag.

10. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I do reuse my tea bags, but I only reuse them once. Usually, within a day because I drink hot tea in the morning during breakfast and in the afternoon during snack time. I just normally throw them away after reusing them. Vinaya there has a good idea on how I could re-purpose them as a source of relaxation for my eyes though. :)

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I wasn't thinking about saving money whenever I drink tea. The reason why I re-use tea bags up to 3 or 4 times is that it's such a waste to just use it once. I saw a documentary on how teas were processed. It's not easy particularly for farmers who plant and harvest teas. I think these things that's why I use tea bags as many times as possible. If because of this way of thinking I get to save, then hoorah.

12. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely not. I have a wooden box that was given to me by my dad back then when he used to smoke tobacco, it's a small box where I usually place my personal information such as cards, ID, money and that sort of important thing that cannot be placed anywhere in the house, those things deserve special places in order to keep them safe and visible.

13. Ke Gordon

Threads:
    Wow, Kristina, you really maximize the value of that tea bag. I have thought about using them on my face before as they are supposed to be good for bags under the eyes and to give your face an overall refreshed look. I think I have once or twice used them in that manner. It is something helpful.

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :rolleyes:Being frugal I love the way tea bags work very well too even after 3 days of use, lol!

15. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I think tea bags hold the flavor after more then one use. I know of many people who use it at least twice. It's more about throwing something out that hasn't been fully used. It's important to note the first time they only keep the tea bag in the boiling water for a few minutes before taking it out. The second time they will keep it in the water a little longer.

16. Aree Wongwanlee

Threads:
    It depends on how much water you use to steep the tea in. I put one tea bag into 1.5 liters of hot water. That makes a nice, strong tea. The second time round, it's still a tea but light. The third time, it's not much more than plain water.

17. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I have never thought of reusing tea bags before. Whenever I use a teabag, I always seek to get all the flavour from it as much as I may. I will even squeeze the bag thus realising the maximum effect from it, therefore, there wouldn't be much value in what is left of it. I don't believe that I would subscribe to the reuse of the teabag.

18. Aree Wongwanlee

Threads:
    Squeeze the teabag? I didn't know that's possible. The tea bags I use are made of paper. Strong paper, no doubt, but still paper. I am sure if I squeezed them, they will break. Are your tea bags made of cloth?

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's true, they are always less tasty the 2nd time around, so I only re-use them twice and I throw them away. I also press the tea bag with a spoon to squeeze out the remnants of the flavor of the tea leaves.

20. Brianna90

Brianna90New Member

Threads:
    I absolutely love tea! I re-use tea bags but only once. I do save money this way, if I could I would re-use them more than once but by the third use they are dried up and has no flavor left in the tea bags. A hot cup of lemon tea always does it. Too bad you can not really re-use lemons, if I could I would refrigerate them and use them again.