Do you sell or donate your outgrown kids stuff?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by savergrl • Aug 15, 2012.

1. savergrl

savergrlMember

Threads:
    If you sell, where or how do you do it?

If you donate, is there a charity you prefer?

2. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    I usually just give them to close relatives who have younger babies. I don't dare give used items to any of my colleagues as I don't want to offend anyone. But family are always more understanding, so I usually give out my son's outgrown items. But if the item looks very much used, I just put it away in the storage room.

3. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    I usually give them away to other people who will fit in them like younger family members. Otherwise, I give them away, usually to Goodwill. I haven't found anywhere to sell them, but I look forward to other peoples' responses :)

4. freemind_76

freemind_76Member

Threads:
    My mother usually asks for those clothes. She gives them to her friend who's struggling to meet the needs of his family. But last year, I have included some old clothing of my kids to a charity event sponsored by my son's school.

5. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I just had my first baby. Right now, I'm keeping most of his things for when I have another one. I have given away some of his extra clothes to someone I know. I figured it would be better than waiting to see if I have another boy or not. I did keep a couple of my favorites just in case though. I would think I would mainly give them away or to charity in the future. I've heard you really don't get much for selling them anyway.

6. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    It is always kept this kind of things , because in the near future can be useful for another child. I think the best option is to donate. In my town there are many institutions that receive clothing and children's toys and then distributed to different families. Another alternative is to donate to public welfare institutions or religious organizations. They have an infrastructure that allows things to a successful destination. Thus, extending the useful life of the object and make happy children in need.

7. Mama2three

Mama2threeMember

Threads:
    I try to sell what I can, and use that to buy more clothes in bigger sizes. Our town doesn't have any good consignment or resale shops, so I usually drive an hour or so to Once Upon A Child once a season. They don't pay out great, but I take enough in that I usually come out with a good amount, plus any little bit helps. What doesn't take goes to someone That needs it. I prefer items going to someone I know rather than a thrift shop. However, if I don't know anyone that needs the sizes I have, or if I just want to clear out storage space fast, everything goes to a local thrift shop.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've donated most of my daughter's outgrown clothes to Goodwill, but I kept a box of my favorite of her baby outfits because I'm sentimental and her baby outfits were so cute. I don't think having one box is too bad. I've seen worse on those hoarding shows.

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    We pass it on to friends/family. If they're in really good shape, sometimes I'll put them in a yard sale or sell them on Ebay.

As for donating, I have a local shop that I like dropping them off at. It's called Rescue Mission and they're simply amazing at helping the community, so I want to help support them whenever I can.

10. dvharris

dvharrisMember

Threads:
    I no longer sell my oldest child's clothes because we had a second baby recently. I figure if my oldest hasn't completely ruined his clothes its smart to let my second child use up what we spent on it.

When I did sell, I preferred CHildren's Orchard. THey only take good looking clothes and you can either excange for money or other clothes. I loved it there. I also had garage sales and made a couple of bucks here and there for the clothes at times.

11. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I give them to my relatives who live in the province. They don't have access to clothes that much and some of them don't even have a pair of sneakers. That's why when I outgrow some of my wardrobe, me and my mom see to it that we separate those that we will give to some of my cousins and uncles.

12. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I don't have kids but I was once not so long ago, lol. Every few months I clean up my closet and always find clothes that no longer fit. I separate them and then either give them to my grandma, who has a neighbor with a kids a few years younger than me and unfortunately doesn't have a stable economic position, to my nephew, or to the lady who helps me and my family around the house ('maid' may be the wrong word, I just don't want to offend anyone), who has a lot of grandchildren who need it. Last time I gave her a couple of jackets me and my brother no longer used; it was winter down here, and the kids loved them!

13. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I do a combination of giving away to friends and charity. I haven't taken anything to resale shops or had a garage sale. We will probably have another baby so I've held on to some of it. There have been times I just had to much. I try to find a friend who needs it first, but when I can't I prefer Goodwill. It's convenient to drop off, and they always give us a receipt for tax deductions.

14. Cyrup

CyrupMember

Threads:
    Usually give it away.
    I have a lot of friends who are parent's, so it's really helpful for them to recieve (Well loved) toys and items. They almost always appreciate it.

Otherwise, I'll donate it to St. Vincents, which is a well known charity foundation around Australia.

15. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    The moment I outgrow my clothes or something gets a rip or a damage I immediately try to donate my clothes to the Salvation Army. I feel that this is the right thing to do. I strongly feel that hoarding old clothes is not something anybody should do. Good causes are found everywhere. I truly hope everybody finds a decent cause and helps it prosper .

16. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We try to pass the clothes on to family and friends that can use them. If there is no one that can use them because of gender or size differences we will donate the clothes to charity.

17. pilot2fly

pilot2flyMember

Threads:
    I usually donate to Good Will. It's so hard to find places that will pay you cash on the spot. And when they do, they pay chump change.

18. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer to donate them to a local hospice shop. Never tried selling old clothes. Somehow don't fancy doing that for some reason.

19. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have a yard sale and sell them. No I do not bother and either give them away to friends or I give them away to Good Will or Salvation Army. When I donate them I get receipts that help us out so much at the end of each year! Plus its wonderful to know I am helping the community as well.

20. soulglazed

soulglazedMember

Threads:
    I do both. If I sell it, usually a consignment type shop or at garage sales and if I donate it, either to salvation army or a friend/family member that could really use it.