Do You Sell Or Give Away Things In Your Home That You Don't Need?

Discussion in Charitable Causes started by mildredtabitha • Sep 9, 2017.

1. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    The good thing about giving away the extra things in your home that you don't need is that you will save someone a lot especially someone who needs them and cannot afford to buy their own.

The benefit of selling things in your home that you do not need is that you will get some extra cash to donate in charitable institutions.

2. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    You have actually hit the nail on the head. In most cases I do this with clothes and shoes. But there are some that I have developed such a deep attachment with, that I find hard to give out, especially those that I have also received as gifts.

Another benefit besides those that you have stated, is that it helps reduce congestion in the house, and helps create better relationships.

3. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I do give things away if I have something that someone else needs and I don't need it anymore. I don't really know people with kids the close enough in age to give my kids clothes to them. I will donate them to the local charity shops. Other things like movies and video games they don't want anymore, I will sell on eBay. I have tried selling clothing on there but it doesn't work for me.

4. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to clothes and shoes, I give them away. Usually, I give them away to relatives, sometimes I do give them to less fortunate kids. For old stuff like furniture or things in the kitchen, there are a few times that we did give away things like that but most of the time we sell them for half the price and use that money to buy new ones, at least we can just add a few bucks and have new stuff.

5. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Depends a lot on the moment (financially speaking), but I usually make a 50-50 split for sales and donations. I think I've been able to maintain this division in a satisfactory way.

6. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    No No No, I don't sell or give away my stuffs at home even if I no longer have use for them, I simply have it all packed and stored up in the store room. Call it me being stingy, I mostly don't feel comfortable selling or giving away my stuffs.

I would rather give someone money to go buy that same thing over again and keep it as his or her own but to transfer that one that I bought and called my own is practically an impossible thing for me to do.

I tend to attach much important to anything I bought and this makes it hard for me to easily part with it. It's called property to me and not a gift item. So I don't give my property away, it's not done today and probably won't be done anytime soon.

7. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We are not wealthy but we prefer to give away things that we don’t need instead of selling. Our old sofa went to our laundrywoman while some other furnishings like an old bed was given to a neighbor. We held a garage sale a long time ago but it’s not for the money. We just wanted to dispose of old things for other people to use. That’s why the price tags were incredible which created a crowd in our garage. Yeah, everything was sold and some even came back to ask for more.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always donate them to charity organizations-they pick up the donations. I get a discount card as a thank you for donating. I like donating, so others still can make use of things that I donate. Then it goes for sale at thrift shops. I shop at thrift shops and buy what others have donated at a very good bargain price. Saving money and getting what I need at thrift shops is a win win situation.

9. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I give away most of the things that I don't need such as old clothes, bags, shoes etc. There is a cleaning lady who comes in daily to collect garbage and clean parking lots, I just give her all the stuff and she keeps what she wants and the rest she gives away to similar people she knows. I sell newspapers and plastic milk satchets at the places where they are sent for recycling.

10. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    I only sell when i'm in need of money but otherwise i always make sure to donate to charitable organizations or people in need that i know.

11. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    I simply give away. It kind of helps me clear the clutter and also get the feeling that I have made someone else's life happy. Getting new things puts a spring in my step

12. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    If I have shoes and clothing that I don`t need that are in good condition and these items are needed by someone, I would give it to them rather than disposing of these clothing and shoes in other ways. When it comes to appliances, there is no certainty that I may give either give them away or sell them. It may depend on if I could possibly make some needed cash.

13. Keibah

KeibahActive Member

Threads:
    I always give away things I don't need anymore to someone who is less privilege. I have never sold anything that I don't need.

14. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    We have some used clothings at home. Every Christmas Day we give them to our Church poor and needy members. We also give away toys, shoes, kitchen wares which are kept and haven't used. Books are also donated to the library.

We never ever sell those things for an extra income. They would be given away to those who need them. In so doing, we make the recipient happy. For we know that it is more blessed to give than to receive.

15. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    I don't sell my old stuffs nor donate them, but I give a few to my other siblings who need or want them. I never give my old stuffs to other people other than my siblings cause some people are sensitive and your good deed might be deemed otherwise. If I have to donate, I just use cash rather than giving away my old belongings and stuffs.

16. prettypal

prettypalNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer to give it away to the poor. But when I urgently need some extra cash, I sell off those costly used electronics at home or else I give it away especially clothes, kitchenware, furniture, etc.

I feel it is not a good idea to pile up clothes, that you don't use anymore. It simply occupies the space and gets worn out.

17. annitha

annithaActive Member

Threads:
    I have a red cross depo just near my home. It is not far, and I can even walk there. I take all the clothes and donate it.
    As for the other things, I am not so eager to just give it away, so I sell it under the price either in garage sale or in the local newspapers.

18. Rock1987

Rock1987Member

Threads:
    I am a middle class fellow but I tend to give away things I don't need. I give my old clothes, shoes, socks and other household items to the needy people. I gave my old blanket to a poor man once. He praised me and I felt very happy that day. There is a saying that "Charity begins at home". So now and in the future I well always help the poor and needy by giving away stuff I don't need.

19. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I think its great to help people out and donate some items to Goodwill, that you really do not need-also old electronics seem to accumulate more than any item I have-I would say and it seems they are everywhere in my house. Its hard to sell them because they are really out of date so maybe goodwill could fix them and help people out. I think also as you get older that you become more of a minimalist -so time and your health are the most valuable commodities?

20. annitha

annithaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see a practical or even a logical reason why should I keep some things that I don't need any more in my place. They take space and cause unnecessary clutter, and somebody else might actually need it.
    If people could swap more things they don't need, this would be a much happier place.